View Full Version : Which Screen Protector To Use?

Brad Adrian
09-01-2003, 11:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.brighthand.com/article/Protect_Your_Screen' target='_blank'>http://www.brighthand.com/article/P...ect_Your_Screen</a><br /><br /></div>Like most Pocket PC users, I will not use my device without some sort of screen protector in place; a couple of years ago, opting not to use one cost me some ugly scratches on a new Pocket PC. I'm always torn, though, about which protectors to use because I know there are a lot of different types out there.<br /><br />Brighthand has got a great article that compares seven of the most popular PDA screen protectors that should be required reading for anybody buying a new device. For each brand, there's an overall description and comments about ease of installation, clarity, feel and durability. Finally, each receives a school-type grade (ranging from A to F).<br /><br />I wholeheartedly agree with the article's conclusions about the quality of WriteSHIELDs from PPCTechs when they were graded an A-minus; so far they're my favorites. I also think it's important to note that WriteRight overlays from Fellowes, the type that is most commonly sold in electronics stores (at least in the US), scored only a D-minus.<br /><br />Be sure to give the article a read and let us know if you've got any other good candidates.

PR.
09-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Don't use them!

Worst case scenario you scratch the screen and when the latest and greatest PPC comes out you can say to yourself "Well my old one is all scratched so I could do with a new one" :)

m@rio
09-01-2003, 12:58 PM
I start to use the PPCTechs WriteSHIELDs when I bought my iPAQ 1910 and love them... it was the first thing I bought for my new iPAQ 2215 ;)

hugs,
m@rio

edxavier
09-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Try Martin Fields Overlay Plus screen protectors, www.overlayplus.com . They're extremely clear. They're so clear that you can't notice that you've anything on your screen.

Check out this review in Dutch for comparison pictures between Brando and Martin Fields and you'll get my point about how clear these are, http://www.mindw0rk.de/p800folien.html

dh
09-01-2003, 01:40 PM
The WriteSHIELDS are just great. I put one on my Axim in late March and it's still as good as new.

To me, it feels better than writing on the naked screen and also reduces glare, probably about 80%.

Since they last so long, PPCTechs would get a lot more orders if they sold them in packs of one as well as three. It seems they last as long as the PPC anyway (in fact longer, my first one is now on its second Axim), and a lot of people must shy away from the cost of getting three at a time.

alcdroid
09-01-2003, 01:41 PM
I have tried both the G2 and WriteShields and I agree with the how they are graded in the article. The G2 would have been a A if it wasn't a pain to install...or to maintain. I have a Brando screen protector lying around but I have not tried it yet......way too happy with the WriteShield at the moment. :D

Cheers!

uvahoos
09-01-2003, 03:23 PM
The WriteSHIELDS are great. Screen is very smooth and it feels like they will last forever. They do seem expensive, but as many people point out, replacing your digitizer is way more expensive!

The WriteRights are no good. As an experiment, I used one I had sitting around from my old Palm IIIc and it was awful. The texture is almost "stick" and creates a lot of drag for the stylus. Makes is harder to write with Transcriber. Maybe the newer ones use better material, but I still think the Shields are better.

Aside from a good case (which I am still looking for because I want one that will allow me to keep my WiFi card in place) I think the screen protectors are the best investment that you can make for your PDA.

SassKwatch
09-01-2003, 03:44 PM
I've never used any of these on any of the pda's I've owned...which includes a Visor Deluxe and 3 different iPAQs. The only one of the bunch that showed any adverse efffects from this practice was the Visor Deluxe. It did show a little wear in the graffiti area.

tddisc
09-01-2003, 03:46 PM
Try Martin Fields Overlay Plus screen protectors, www.overlayplus.com . They're extremely clear. They're so clear that you can't notice that you've anything on your screen.

The Overlay Plus protectors look very good, I will give them a try. I'm currently using a Brando protector.

After looking at Martin Fields site, their Power Extender looks interesting.
http://www.overlayplus.com/product.asp?id=24
Has anyone used them? It seems a little odd, place the material on the battery, put the battery back in place and the battery life is extended up to 30%. Does it actually work?

TD

petvas
09-01-2003, 03:47 PM
I am certainly against Screen Protectors. They simply ruin the display quality so much that I prefer to buy a new Pocket-pc if my screen gets scratched or unusable...
I cannot believe anyone that says that Screen Protectors do not alter the display... I have used Writeshields; they are awful. They make the display look blurred. I immediately threw them away... What is the point having the best Transreflective displays if you use Screen Protectors? They make my H5555 look like an Aero...

jet8810
09-01-2003, 04:50 PM
petvas, I would agree with you for most part. With my Toshiba e740, I had a WriteShield and it significantly "deglared" my PPC, causing the colors to be MUCH less vibrant. I also tried a ClearTouch and Brando, and all three of them did the EXACT same thing.

WIth my brand new HP 2215 though, I decided to give teh G2s from www.pdascreenprotectors.com a go, and while they are a pain to install, they are CRYSTAL CLEAR! I really like em!

edxavier
09-01-2003, 05:00 PM
I am certainly against Screen Protectors. They simply ruin the display quality so much that I prefer to buy a new Pocket-pc if my screen gets scratched or unusable...
I cannot believe anyone that says that Screen Protectors do not alter the display... I have used Writeshields; they are awful. They make the display look blurred. I immediately threw them away... What is the point having the best Transreflective displays if you use Screen Protectors? They make my H5555 look like an Aero...

Then you should give the Martin Fields Overlay Plus screen protectors a try. They're extremely clear. As good as having nothing on your screen. There're a lot of rave user comments on the SonyEricsson P800 forums about how clear this protector is, which is how I got to know about it in the first place. I'm now a convert.

edxavier
09-01-2003, 05:08 PM
The Overlay Plus protectors look very good, I will give them a try. I'm currently using a Brando protector.

Has anyone used them? It seems a little odd, place the material on the battery, put the battery back in place and the battery life is extended up to 30%. Does it actually work?

TD

Check out this other forum about user comments about the Power Extender, http://www.ppcsg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22116

cyj
09-01-2003, 06:40 PM
I also believe in using screen proctectors. But I don't like paying for them. Instead, I've always made them using overhead material. To me, they don't diminish the screen appearance at all. Yes, it's true they tend to scratch up quicly, but that doesn't bother me. With a paper cutter I can make a few of them to keep on hand.

But I'm curious if others still do this and whether they've found other material that works better.

Chris Pi
09-01-2003, 07:01 PM
I just installed a Brando on my Ipaq 5550 yesterday. I got a little dust at the top where I started installing it as I fumbled it while installing but it's no big deal. Other then that it went on fine first try. They say that they are washable and I could try to remove the dust but I think there's a good chance it would be worse the second time. I really think the trick is to quickly apply the protector at the same time as you're removing the packaging layer.

With the Brando on the screen might be less vibrant but it still looks good to me.

I aggree that Pocket PC Techs should sell their Writeshield protectors in packs of one, that's why I went with the Brando. Also, I don't want to pay for the spray. The manual for my Ipaq says to just use water so that's what I do. Since I don't write on the screen, only tap, I'm hoping the Brando will last a year or two so I don't want a pack of three.

One thing I noticed too. With the Brando you still have to press as hard to register a click but the screen now feels a little less spongy to me which I like.

rmasinag
09-01-2003, 07:28 PM
PPC Techs, home of Writeshield is of the devil!!!

I am obligated to buy writeshields from them since I had one in my IPAQ 3150, to my latest HP 2210, to my Olympus C5050 LCD screen :D

I cant go back to screens with horrible glare.

ctmagnus
09-01-2003, 07:40 PM
I'd much rather have a slightly-dulled screen than scratches on it. I :ppclove: WriteShields! I use Fellowes WriteRights on my old iPaq and absolutely love the feel of WriteShields on my new iPaq.

rmasinag
09-01-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm going to give the Japanese a try with their Martin Fields OVerlay Plus.

It just might make me a convert and be saved from Writeshields. 0X

surur
09-01-2003, 08:13 PM

TD

Overlay Plus Power Extender is made of a newly developed speical material, PAT.P. This material generates cavity radiation energy and dissolves slougs stored in the battery. This improves the flow of ions and hence will be able to improve battery power significantly. It has no bad effects on the user, battery pack and mobile phone.

This seems like weird pseudoscientific mumbo-jumbo. Surely one can not trust a company using marketing junk such as this?

Surur

dugn
09-01-2003, 08:49 PM
I've still got my Jornada 568 from the moment it came out - and use it every day. I bought the Martin Field Overlay panel and actually waited until it came in before using my Jornada (call me a nut!).

After two years, the thing is still amazing. After heavy use and abuse, it's got very little fading/scratches - which which includes Solitaire and some other screen intensive games. They say they're washable, but I've never taken the time to remove and actually wash it to see if the fading disappears (call me a nut once again), so I can't tell you if a simple wash would remove the wear lines.

I still think it's the best investment I've ever made for my PPC. And yes - I will stick with my Jornada until it dies an eventual ignominious death and I have to consider buying an iPaq that looks like a bad prop from the Lost In Space movie (shameless Jornada plus here).

Long Live Overlay's product!

Jereboam
09-01-2003, 09:16 PM
petvas, I would agree with you for most part. With my Toshiba e740, I had a WriteShield and it significantly "deglared" my PPC, causing the colors to be MUCH less vibrant. I also tried a ClearTouch and Brando, and all three of them did the EXACT same thing.

WIth my brand new HP 2215 though, I decided to give teh G2s from www.pdascreenprotectors.com a go, and while they are a pain to install, they are CRYSTAL CLEAR! I really like em!

Concur. There is no detectable difference in screen clarity and quality with the G2's, even if they are a royal pain in the arse to install. Once on though, they're solid. I managed to scratch one with my stylus the other day, which is tough as they are very scratch-proof, and couldn't help thinking that having that screen protector on saved me a bundle on getting the touchpad replaced...proof that it's worth it.

J

petvas
09-01-2003, 09:35 PM
I find it hard to believe that these G2 Screen Protectors do not alter the display quality...Anyway I will order them and test...

petvas
09-01-2003, 09:38 PM
How long do the G2 Protectors last?

maximus
09-02-2003, 01:44 AM
Hum, no one uses the free 12 pack Dell Screen Protector from Dell ?

iPaqDude
09-02-2003, 02:17 AM
I had been using the Writeright protectors on my older H3630 but switched to the Boxwave protector for my 2215. Only had it on for about a week but like the feel.

Clarity is good and is actually a little bit clearer in bright sunlight. Installation was a breeze - installing the Writeright was a PITA.... :|

In a couple of weeks I ought to know if I will continue with the Boxwave or try another brand.

Jereboam
09-02-2003, 10:28 AM
I find it hard to believe that these G2 Screen Protectors do not alter the display quality...Anyway I will order them and test...

I hope you won't be disappointed...I certainly wasn't. It is quite difficult not to get dust under the protector when you are slipping it under the frame, but if you do as they say (unlike me first time round) and apply in a humid environment (bathroom with shower running) and get yourself a can of compressed air to blow dust off, you'll be set. Patience is required.

I have had my G2 on since February....apart from that one scratch I mentioned above it's perfect. Fingerprints do show up though...but a quick huff and buff and they're gone, and they'd show up on a non-protected screen anyway...no biggy.

J

Christian
09-02-2003, 10:30 PM
I noticed that the G2's aren't available for the 221x iPaq. Has anyone tried using one of the others, like the ones designed for the 1910? I don't remember whether the screens are exactly the same size - it seems that the size would need to match exactly for the G2's to work.

ethancaine
09-02-2003, 11:11 PM
Hum, no one uses the free 12 pack Dell Screen Protector from Dell ?

I tried... and if anyone else would like to, simply ask and I'll mail them to you... they are the worst screen protectors I've ever seen. :cry:

Anyroad, I am currently using Fellowes WriteRight for the 3955, trimed to fit my Axim screen. I can't even tell there's anything on the screen... There's no color distortion ond it actually inreased the reliability of the Transcriber. Personally, I realy like them.

Jereboam
09-03-2003, 12:12 AM
I noticed that the G2's aren't available for the 221x iPaq. Has anyone tried using one of the others, like the ones designed for the 1910? I don't remember whether the screens are exactly the same size - it seems that the size would need to match exactly for the G2's to work.

When I wanted some G2's for my XDA, John Salazar wrote back with instructions on measuring the screen and said he would cut some custom screen protectors and send them to me for free to try them out...although I didn't take up his offer (as I am in Moscow where it is tricky to get mail quickly and reliably) I am sure that if he does not have G2's coming out shortly for the 221x he will indicate which ones will suit, or make you a similar offer. We all like good customer service - his was excellent. Mail him with an enquiry...you have nothing to lose.

J

jet8810
09-03-2003, 02:20 AM
Yea, I emailed him to ask, the HP 1910 ones fit PERFECTLY...:).

Christian
09-03-2003, 03:56 PM
Yea, I emailed him to ask, the HP 1910 ones fit PERFECTLY...:).

Sounds good :)

erussell
09-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Definite yes on using WriteShields.