View Full Version : Incorrect Firmware on my Router

Anthony Caruana
08-31-2003, 03:14 PM
OK - rule No 1 - never do a firmware upgrade just before going to bed.
I just downloaded what I thought was the firmware upgrade for my Belkin FSD6230-3 wireless cable/dsl router.

I just followed instructions on my router to get the lastest firmware, downloaded it and installed it as per the manufacturers instructions. But...I downloaded the worng firmware (got the one for a different router).

So, now I'm left with a router that does not respond to anything (even the reset button at the back). I can't browse to it and can't seem to connect to it via Telnet. I only worked out I got the wrong firmware when I went back to the download site and realised I'd hit the wrong link. The site is a lttle untidy and I guess I just wasn't careful enough.

Has anyone out there had any experience with these devices. Is it possible to reset the device somehow to it's original config? The user documentation is of no assistance.

Please help - I am desperate.

TIA

Johnny Blaze
08-31-2003, 05:04 PM
I think your only hope is going to be calling tech support or buying a new router.

I'm kinda glad my router gets its own firmware. You can also try taking it back where you bought it. But if you cant communicate with the router there will be no way to get the corrct firmware installed without special equipment.

Even though some may not like them thats one of the reasons i went with netgear equipment. The router will find the appropriate firmware for itself when you tell it to. That way if it does go screwey on you and you are within your warranty period you are covered.

Judging by the cost of a router nowadays if you cant get tech support to fix it for free then may as well buy a new one.

Steven Cedrone
08-31-2003, 06:14 PM
Unfortunately, if you "Hard Reset" the router it will still try to load the firmware you just installed...

I hate to say this, but you are probably SOL. Call tech support and see what they say. If it were me, I would tell them it died during the firmware upgrade but I would probably "forget" to mention the fact that I grabbed the wrong firmware...

Steve

Anthony Caruana
09-01-2003, 03:26 AM
Unfortunately, if you "Hard Reset" the router it will still try to load the firmware you just installed...

I hate to say this, but you are probably SOL. Call tech support and see what they say. If it were me, I would tell them it died during the firmware upgrade but I would probably "forget" to mention the fact that I grabbed the wrong firmware...

Steve

Took your advice Steve - getting a new router later today

Steven Cedrone
09-01-2003, 03:45 AM

:way to go: Something I learned a long time ago... Never volunteer information... :wink:

Steve

Johnny Blaze
09-03-2003, 01:54 AM
heh that was drilled into us in basic training lol. Never volunteer anything only give what is specifically asked for

PetiteFlower
09-03-2003, 04:49 AM
My modem got fried a couple of years ago in what I *think* was a power surge. They asked me if there was an electrical storm at the time--there wasn't. There was, however, a very strong windstorm that might have caused it.....but I didn't need to mention that :)

After I got my new one, I made sure to connect it to my surge protector! Even though I'd noticed the phone jacks there, it had never occurred to me to actually plug my phone line into it.....yeah, I know, duh.

Now I have cable and wireless network so no more worries about that!

Jeff Rutledge
09-03-2003, 04:54 AM

:way to go: Something I learned a long time ago... Never volunteer information... :wink:

Steve

I agree with Steve 100%. Having said that though, you probably could have argued that they should have built into their firmware upgrades a check to make sure a suitable device was being updated. I've learned the hard way that anything you put out there has to be bullet-proof. If someone like me can break it, they will. So it could be argued that it's their responsibility to ensure they don't release something that can FUBAR their equipment.

Still, your way was probably much easier. :)

Janak Parekh
09-03-2003, 05:24 AM
My modem got fried a couple of years ago in what I *think* was a power surge. They asked me if there was an electrical storm at the time--there wasn't. There was, however, a very strong windstorm that might have caused it.....but I didn't need to mention that :)
It is absolutely possible. I've seen it quite a few times over the years. The specific symptom of a phoneline-based surge is usually that the modem responds to the computer, but complains that it can't find a dialtone.

--janak