View Full Version : Turn off screen in WM9??

lonesniper
08-31-2003, 12:25 AM
I just got a new HP2215 and love listening to music with Windows Media Player 9. Is it possible to turn off the screen to save battery life and still listen to music?? I have looked through the options, manual and the forum but find no answers one way or the other.
Thanks in advance.

Colin

butch
08-31-2003, 01:22 AM
Two options:

1- in WMP, Tools -> Settings -> Buttons, select "Screen Toggle" and press the button you want to map to. But, if you use any other of the 4 buttons for something, the screen will go back on :-( Only the d-pda will keep the screen of.

2- (what I prefer) Hold the power button of the iPAQ for 3 sec it will turn off the backlight which use most of the battery... Then hold it 3 sec to turn it back on.

lonesniper
08-31-2003, 01:54 AM
Cheers for the quick reply.
I will give them a go.
Thanks
Colin

Dave Beauvais
08-31-2003, 03:11 AM
I would suggest option 1 as it turns both the backlight and the LCD off. The latter option leaves the LCD on which continues to draw power.

--Dave

spursdude
08-31-2003, 03:16 AM
I would suggest option 1 as it turns both the backlight and the LCD off. The latter option leaves the LCD on which continues to draw power.

--Dave
And if you leave the LCD on, that means any screen taps will register, possibly pausing your music accidentally.

lonesniper
08-31-2003, 03:34 AM
I have mapped the d-pad to switching off the screen, seems to be working pretty well. Hope to get a lot more battery life now with my morning commute. (when I get a real job and commute that is)

Thanks for everyones help.
Colin

ctmagnus
08-31-2003, 03:58 AM
But, if you use any other of the 4 buttons for something, the screen will go back on :-( Only the d-pda will keep the screen of.

:confused totally: I've never experienced this. Once I turn the screen off, it's off until I press the button to toggle it back on. With the screen off, I can change the volume, rewind, fast forward, play, pause and stop the music using button mappings. On both an iPaq 3670 and a 5550. I don't imagine HP would have removed this ability from the 221x series.

spursdude
08-31-2003, 04:01 AM
:confused totally: I've never experienced this. Once I turn the screen off, it's off until I press the button to toggle it back on. With the screen off, I can change the volume, rewind, fast forward, play, pause and stop the music using button mappings. On both an iPaq 3670 and a 5550. I don't imagine HP would have removed this ability from the 221x series.
Ditto with my Audiovox Maestro.

butch
08-31-2003, 04:05 AM

It strange too, wasn't doing that with my E115... but I never try to figure out why... the other strange thing is that I have to presse the Screen toggle button twice to turn it back off... Even if I unmap the button in the control panel it still trun the screen on...
anyway I use the backlight off it is fine for me.

griph
09-21-2003, 12:49 AM
It strange too, wasn't doing that with my E115... but I never try to figure out why... the other strange thing is that I have to presse the Screen toggle button twice to turn it back off... Even if I unmap the button in the control panel it still trun the screen on...
anyway I use the backlight off it is fine for me.

The Next/Previous Track mapped buttons (2 & 3) wake the screen on my 2210 when using WMP9! It happens with PocketMusic too. I also have to press the screen toggle button twice to turn off the screen. If I use the D-Pad the screen remains off.