View Full Version : Nevo range differs on some devices?

netnem
08-30-2003, 11:47 PM
Well, i own a 2215, and Nevo is GREAT! However, I do have some concerns. I have tested Nevo on my living room tv with a range of 20+ feet. I have tested it in a bedroom from as far as i could get away from it, and it worked fine too. However, I have this small RCA tv, and NEVO only responds to it when at an extreme line of site. The other TV's I can basically just point in the general direction and it works fine. But this RCA Tv was not more than 6 feet away and it was very difficult to get it to turn on with NEVO. I tried ALL brand name selection codes and only one works at an extreme line of sight/range. I always used the add device by brand. I don't have the original remote to this RCA tv so that option is out of the question. Any Ideas?

Also, I have noticed this on restaurant TV's too. I was going to change one of the [several] TV's to something other than golf. I choose panasonic and tried every brand selection and it didnt work. Very embarrassing as my partner was eager to watch something other than golf, and my IPAQ failed to fall through. I've also tried this at another restaurant, and it only worked when I got within 10 feet of the TV. How can some TV's work at 30+ feet and others need an extreme line of sight/range [such as the RCA I have]?

KiLLiN-TiMe
08-31-2003, 07:43 AM
the room plays a big part in this. Inferred light is present even when you are not pressing your remote control. remember just because we cant see it... it is there. if there is inferred light entering the reciver on the tv then you have to get closer to make your signal strong enough to be reconized and not just lost in the back ground noise.

Server
08-31-2003, 10:43 PM
Well, i own a 2215, and Nevo is GREAT! However, I do have some concerns. I have tested Nevo on my living room tv with a range of 20+ feet. I have tested it in a bedroom from as far as i could get away from it, and it worked fine too. However, I have this small RCA tv, and NEVO only responds to it when at an extreme line of site. ...

Find a tv or Ir appliance that you have the remote to and Nevo responds
poorly as in above. THEN... instead of using Nevo's built in Ir codes,
use the remote so that Nevo LEARNS the Ir frequency. Then re-
test Nevo with the same Ir TV or other appliance. If all is well then you
only had an off Ir frequency conflict. If not, then you may have a bad
Ir transmitter. (thats my guess)

starbot
08-31-2003, 11:56 PM
trust me its not a bad IR transmitter, however some televisions may have weaker recievers,
i have the problems you are describing all the time, unfortunaley non of the TVs in my house work even when trained, but when i go to radio shack i can turn off all the tvs with one press;)

maximus
09-01-2003, 02:10 AM
but when i go to radio shack i can turn off all the tvs with one press;)

Ah, that is an interesting thought. :mrgreen: Start doing that, and soon PPCs will be banned from all electronic stores. he heh.

Also, I have noticed this on restaurant TV's too. I was going to change one of the [several] TV's to something other than golf. I choose panasonic and tried every brand selection and it didnt work. Very embarrassing as my partner was eager to watch something other than golf, and my IPAQ failed to fall through. I've also tried this at another restaurant, and it only worked when I got within 10 feet of the TV. How can some TV's work at 30+ feet and others need an extreme line of sight/range [such as the RCA I have]?

Some TV brands (mostly the japanese ones) have different setting of IR. In your case, two models from panasonic might not use the same IR setting. Hence it works on some models, and it doesn't on some. On nevo, there are several setting for panasonic, did you try all of them ?

netnem
09-01-2003, 05:32 AM
On nevo, there are several setting for panasonic, did you try all of them ?

Yea, I always try every single one until it starts to work! :)

I went to mynevo.com and downloaded every single RCA code, and tryed them all too. Then, I found a RCA remote [not for the little tv, but the one from my living room works with this small one. The big one is also RCA brand.] It also seemed to have a difficult time turning the TV on and off as well. It wasn't as "bad" as nevo, but it still wasn't good. I even trained nevo to use that remote, but it wasn't any better "trained" vs the code. But anyways I guess its just that TV. No big deal really, as nevo controls most of my stuff perfectly.

i have the problems you are describing all the time, unfortunaley none of the TVs in my house work even when trained, but when i go to radio shack i can turn off all the tvs with one press;)

None? Really? What kind of TV's do YOU have? Freak. :)

starbot
09-01-2003, 05:46 AM
ugh i know- i have Quasar tv/vcr, and a samsung, and a daewoo, my parent's TVs both work, as well as most of my friends

i've tried every selection for the TVs :( nothin works

maximus
09-01-2003, 07:37 AM
Also, I have noticed this on restaurant TV's too. I was going to change one of the [several] TV's to something other than golf. I choose panasonic and tried every brand selection and it didnt work. Very embarrassing as my partner was eager to watch something other than golf, and my IPAQ failed to fall through.

I just got from lunch at a restaurant with lots of TVs installed. All of them are on the news channel. Remembering this thread, I put special attention on the TVs, guess what ? the IR reception on the TVs are all blocked with thick black tape. I inquired the restaurant manager about that, and he mentioned that he is tired of people randomly changed the channel from their own remote controller. So they decided to cover the IR reception. If someone wants to change the channel, they have to physically walk to the TV and push the channel button.

p.s. Some people actually carry a universal remote to restaurant ? 8O 8O That is new to me.

netnem
09-06-2003, 05:13 AM
p.s. Some people actually carry a universal remote to restaurant ? 8O 8O That is new to me.

LOL, its news to me too. Must be that sudden onslaught of Ipaq 2215's! Those techie control freaks...*points fingers*

But that is interesting about the tape on the IR sensors, I will have to pay more attention.

BTW, does anyone know what kind of tv's the "Walmart TV Network" are? Those advertisements get old pretty quick, but I can't find the brand name because its covered in a plastic box that says "Walmart TV Network."

Fishie
09-06-2003, 06:24 AM
Heh, its the first thing I did when I got my 2215.
Mess around with people I visited by switching channels and see them start to randomly punch buttons on their remotes.

JustinGTP
09-07-2003, 05:47 AM
Also, I found out the age of the TV also affects the nevo quality.

nosmohtac
01-07-2004, 04:59 PM
Every RCA TV that I've used Nevo with, has a very poor response unless directly inline with the IR receiver

Jeff Rutledge
01-07-2004, 06:19 PM
I've had very good success with distance. I have even controlled my TV in the living room from the hallway of the floor above. That's probably 40' total.