View Full Version : How do I get MS Reader Titles installed on PPC?

teq
08-30-2003, 10:45 PM
I did quite some e-book reading on my Palm. That's why I'm interested in trying MS Reader on my 2210.

I've loaded down some of MS free titles (they have some pretty cool stuff this summer). While I can read these titles on my PC, I haven't figured out how to install them on my 2210. Copying them to the 'my documents' folder and opening them via Explorer didn't work - I can see them in the library now, but MS Reader can't open them. (Yes, I have activated MS Reader on the 2210.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
teq

Jereboam
08-31-2003, 12:37 AM
There should be a subfolder called Library in My Documents. Try copying them into that folder...try soft resetting the PPC - they should appear fine.

This is one of the big deficiencies in MS Reader. If you like eBooks I highly recommend MobiPocket Reader, which allows you to send books to your device from the desktop reader...quite a few features that Reader misses as well, like landscape orientation and best of all, full screen. It has autoscroll too, but it's a bit jerky.

J

bleeman
08-31-2003, 02:29 AM
Actually, the folder needs to be named MY LIBRARY instead of just LIBRARY. Once you do that you should be all set.

Small Town Man
08-31-2003, 03:25 AM
Did you install the latest MS Reader update? AFAIK the free books work with the updated Reader only.
MS did the update because someone cracked the MS Reader DRM mechnism.

Nikhil
08-31-2003, 05:29 AM
And then broke it again :lol:

jimski
08-31-2003, 06:02 AM
Actually, the folder needs to be named MY LIBRARY instead of just LIBRARY. Once you do that you should be all set.

Dont know about MY LIBRARY, but I keep my books on my Storage Card in a folder called My Documents, ina sub-folder called EBooks and Microsoft Reader finds these files just fine. I also keep one book in my primary My Documents folder, sub-filedre eBooks.

In other words, I don't think it matters where you store these files, provided they have the right file extension.

bleeman
08-31-2003, 08:11 AM
I didn't realize that. I'd had problems in the past with it trying to find my books and after creating the My Library folder the problem was solved. I just assumed it was the folder name, but I guess not. I just tried your idea on my iPAQ and it worked like a champ! Thanks!

teq
09-01-2003, 07:45 AM
Did you install the latest MS Reader update? AFAIK the free books work with the updated Reader only.
MS did the update because someone cracked the MS Reader DRM mechnism.

@Small Town Man: Thanks, that did the trick! I just couldn't imagine that my brand new 2210 didn't have the latest version - but after I've installed 2.2.2 (instead of 2.2.1) things work just fine.

teq

qmrq
09-08-2003, 02:24 AM
Orrrrrrrrr don't use Microsoft Reader... http://www.gowerpoint.com/ http://www.isilo.com/