View Full Version : Extended Battery Pack for ipaq 3600, 3700, 3800, 3900, 5400...

jmz28
08-29-2003, 02:11 PM
I was reading a review of one of these when I guess they first came out some time ago, and apparantly, they use the same internal battery as the ipaq itself. I am assuming its the same connector too?

Reason I ask, is that I would like to get one and crack the case open to rob the battery and install in my ipaq.

Thanks.

jmz28
08-29-2003, 02:26 PM
http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:ELs6Ymp0iPAJ:www.pocketpcpassion.com/iPAQ/PCSleeve/PCSleeve.htm+ipaq+internal+external+battery+same%3F&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

that is where I got the idea from...

Janak Parekh
08-29-2003, 07:40 PM
Are you referring to the CF+/PC+ sleeve's extended batteries, or someone else's? I'm not sure they're the exact same battery as the one that's been in the iPAQ or from the original PC sleeve. In fact, I think the ones in the + sleeves are not the same (they have a different shape and capacity).

If you want to replace your own battery because it's dying, just get a DIY replacement kit from Pocket PC Techs (www.ppctechs.com). They even give you a tool and instructions, and it's a fairly straightforward task. They'll also do the surgery on it themselves if you want, for an additional fee.

By the way, the 3800/3900 do not use the same battery as the 3600/3700/PC sleeve; the 3800/3900 are higher capacity and different circuitry. I believe Pocket PC Techs sells both kinds of batteries.

--janak

jmz28
08-29-2003, 07:44 PM
Are you referring to the CF+/PC+ sleeve's extended batteries, or someone else's? I'm not sure they're the exact same battery as the one that's been in the iPAQ or from the original PC sleeve. In fact, I think the ones in the + sleeves are not the same (they have a different shape and capacity).

If you want to replace your own battery because it's dying, just get a DIY replacement kit from Pocket PC Techs (www.ppctechs.com). They even give you a tool and instructions, and it's a fairly straightforward task. They'll also do the surgery on it themselves if you want, for an additional fee.

By the way, the 3800/3900 do not use the same battery as the 3600/3700/PC sleeve; the 3800/3900 are higher capacity and different circuitry. I believe Pocket PC Techs sells both kinds of batteries.

--janak

yes, I was referring to the addon pack that would plug into the cf or pc expansion pack plus. I figured it would be an inexpensive way to get a larger battery, they can be had for 20 dollars in the 1840 mAh flavor. I imagine that the connector could be different, but it sounds feasible...

Janak Parekh
08-29-2003, 07:47 PM
yes, I was referring to the addon pack that would plug into the cf or pc expansion pack plus. I figured it would be an inexpensive way to get a larger battery, they can be had for 20 dollars in the 1840 mAh flavor. I imagine that the connector could be different, but it sounds feasible...
Actually, it doesn't to me. The iPAQs are very tight spacewise, and the 1840 mAh battery is quite a lot bigger.

If you're looking to get the iPAQ OEM battery cheap, look at this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2307) about iPAQ spare parts sources. Unless you're willing to take a risk, I'd try and find the exact same battery.

--janak

jmz28
08-29-2003, 07:51 PM
Actually, it doesn't to me. The iPAQs are very tight spacewise, and the 1840 mAh battery is quite a lot bigger.

If you're looking to get the iPAQ OEM battery cheap, look at this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2307) about iPAQ spare parts sources. Unless you're willing to take a risk, I'd try and find the exact same battery.

--janak

at 20 bux, its an inexpensive risk I am willing to try out. I can modify it to make it work at a substantially cheaper cost. I have already been to foxconn a few times, but their prices are just a bit more than I am want to pay, even though they are pretty cheap.

Janak Parekh
08-29-2003, 07:53 PM
at 20 bux, its an inexpensive risk I am willing to try out. I can modify it to make it work at a substantially cheaper cost. I have already been to foxconn a few times, but their prices are just a bit more than I am want to pay, even though they are pretty cheap.
I wasn't referring to the cost of the battery as the risk, but the iPAQ itself. But good luck. :) I haven't heard any reports of someone reusing the + battery, myself.... you might want to search around on the forums here, on Brighthand, and maybe Pocket PC Passion and see if anyone has played around with the battery.

--janak

jmz28
08-29-2003, 07:55 PM
I wasn't referring to the cost of the battery as the risk, but the iPAQ itself. But good luck. :) I haven't heard any reports of someone reusing the + battery, myself.... you might want to search around on the forums here, on Brighthand, and maybe Pocket PC Passion and see if anyone has played around with the battery.

--janak

Yeah, I have been all over with little luck. No pictures, nothing.