View Full Version : Bluetooth GPSs - Good, Bad...Ugly??

ddrolett
08-29-2003, 01:38 PM
Hey, I'm looking for a GPS that works with my iPaq 5500 and there seems to be a lot of new Bluetooth devices out there. Pharos, even DeLorme is offering up a BT cradle for their USB GPS.

Does anyone have any stories to tell about them? I'm not familiar with BT or its range so maybe wired is the better way to go?

Thanks,
Dave

jgahr
08-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Check out GPS Passion, they have tons of info about BT & wired GPS products. www.gpspassion.com. I have a GlobalSat BT and have had no issues with it at all. :mrgreen:

hollis_f
08-30-2003, 07:16 AM
As well as GPS Passion check out PocketGPS (http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/index.asp) for their reviews.

I use an Emtac GPS and I'd never, ever go back to using wires.

ecard
08-30-2003, 02:19 PM
I also use the EMTAC GPSand it works like a charm...

... Go for it, you won't regret it :D

dwildone
08-30-2003, 03:22 PM
I've got a Socket BT receiver paired with TomTom USA and love it. I didn't have any problems at all.

makic
08-30-2003, 05:26 PM
I have the Fortuna GPSmart and it works great. I have some problems with the iPaq when I turn it off with the Bluetooth on, but I think that it is a problem that will be resolved by a patch sometime in the future. (lets hope).

The thing I like about the GPSmart is that it is also a fully functional GPS by itself. You can use it to map out hiking trails and looking for a GPS Cache (without the ipaq if you want).

It also uses AAA batteries, so it you take it on an extended hike or trip, you don't have to worry about bringing a charger (or if camping, you don't have to find an outlet).