View Full Version : Playing Audio via PPC Through Car Stereo?

hogwild
08-29-2003, 03:48 AM
So I have all these great tunes on an SD card, ready for long trips away from home. Then I wonder, "Is it possible to connect my PPC to my car stereo to hear music through the car speakers?" You know, like connecting a portable CD player to car stereo using one of those cassette adapters. I have an iPAQ...is such an adapter available, and, if so, where can I find one? If not, someone make one fast!!!

Jeff Rutledge
08-29-2003, 03:54 AM
You may want to check out a device like this one (https://www.myirock.com/players/300W%20-%20FM%20Transmitter.asp). From what I understand, it plugs in to your device's headphone jack and transmits on an FM frequency. So you just tune your car to that frequency and your PPC is now your own personal DJ. :rock on dude!:

Steven Cedrone
08-29-2003, 04:23 AM
You know, like connecting a portable CD player to car stereo using one of those cassette adapters. I have an iPAQ...is such an adapter available, and, if so, where can I find one? If not, someone make one fast!!!

Those work great!!! Provided, of course, you have a cassette player in your car...

All stores carry them, from Wal-Mart to Radio Shack...

Steve

cyp
08-29-2003, 05:02 AM
I use a cheapo Made-in-China cassette adaptor which cost me USD4.50. If possible, test it first before paying for it. Quality control is non-existent on this sort of device.

szamot
08-29-2003, 05:21 AM
I used the FM transmiter from Radio Shack, it sucked ass, bought a chepo casette adaptor and now whenever I have to rent a car I always get one with a casetter player instead of CD. Works great

maximus
08-29-2003, 05:49 AM
I used the FM transmiter from Radio Shack, it sucked ass, bought a chepo casette adaptor and now whenever I have to rent a car I always get one with a casetter player instead of CD. Works great

What about the sound quality of these casette adapters ? Any degradation of sound quality ?

hogwild
08-29-2003, 02:45 PM
You know, like connecting a portable CD player to car stereo using one of those cassette adapters. I have an iPAQ...is such an adapter available, and, if so, where can I find one? If not, someone make one fast!!!

Those work great!!! Provided, of course, you have a cassette player in your car...

All stores carry them, from Wal-Mart to Radio Shack...

Steve

Steve, do I feel stupid. Never once thought that a plain cassette adapter would work with a PPC. Guess my brain was "off"...

So, for those who have tried both a cassette adapter and an FM transmitter, what is your preference? I see questions about sound degradation and ease of use. Which provides the truest sound and best quality??? Which is easier to use???

vovillamor
08-29-2003, 03:29 PM
So, for those who have tried both a cassette adapter and an FM transmitter, what is your preference? I see questions about sound degradation and ease of use. Which provides the truest sound and best quality??? Which is easier to use???

I've tried both. I've found that the sound quality is better on the cassette adapter. When I got a new car, the car stereo didn't have a cassette player...just a CD player (my old car had both CD and cassette).

On my new car, I can only use an FM transmitter. There are different types available (whereas almost all the cassette adapters pretty much the same [aside from the quality]. The FM transmitter I use now is a little dongle with about a 3" cable that can be stored in the dongle. It is small, and has an internal antenna. This type of transmitter is capable of only transmitting on the 4 lower FM frequencies. Though the freq issue is limiting, the small size is convenient. Another FM transmitter that I have is able to transmit throughout the entire FM band, but it was bigger, has an external antenna to deal with, and the cables were less than convenient.

Here's something to think about...if you're looking to get a new [or better] car stereo, try looking for one that has an audio input jack. That way, all you need is a standard male-male stereo cable, and you can hook up and listen to your PocketPC, or any other audio device. The car stereo/CD player I installed in my wife's car has one of these...we can listen to music stored on my PocketPC while she drives...or plug in a handheld cassette player and listen to audio tapes.

Good luck...

GoldKey
08-29-2003, 04:04 PM

The quality of the FM transmitter I used was pretty poor. I much prefer the cassette adapter. I would love to have a direct input, but hardly worth installing a new stereo in the car just for that.

ironguy
08-29-2003, 04:43 PM
If anyone is considering a new car stereo, consider getting one with an AUX input, either on the front panel or in the rear. Earlier this year I bought a Pioneer CD player that has an AUX plug in the back. Pioneer makes an adapter for the aux plug that converts it to RCA jacks. I got another adapter that converts RCA plugs into a single plug that plugs into my PPC headphone jack.

Bingo, I'm there. I routed the cable through a small hole and it rests nicley between the front seats. I plug in my PPC, set the unit to AUX and - MUSIC!

Many newer units have the AUX plugs on the front for the purpose of connecting an MP3 player. Gee, isn't a PPC an MP3 player?

Autarch
08-30-2003, 01:22 AM
A a couple of months ago there was a thread here where a guy connected his PPC to his car stereo somehow (I don't remember how, maybe a cassette adapter) and to the internet through his Bluetooth cell phone. Using a Real Audio- or Free Radio Virgin-type player he was able to get internet digital radio through his car stereo -- voila, no need for XM satellite radio! Very cool, but I haven't been able to find the thread again.

Brad Adrian
08-30-2003, 01:38 AM
If anyone is considering a new car stereo, consider getting one with an AUX input, either on the front panel or in the rear.
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Rather than have an ugly cord hanging down from my dash though (from a rear AUX input) I spent a couple of bucks on a female plug and hard-wired it to my dashboard. Now, all I have to do is plug a cord from my PPC to the dash.

spursdude
08-30-2003, 05:26 AM
I have the iRock 300W FM transmitter. Its quality really depends on the car - in one car, I can put it in the glovebox, middle compartment, or wherever I really want and the reception will be fine. In the other, it has to be right there in the front panel or else it won't work.

Still, it works quite well and I'm very happy with it.

Radio Shack told me that I could return it if it didn't work, so that gave me the confidence to buy it. Besides, it's really hard (if at all possible) to use a cassette adapter when your tape player is one of those flip-down faceplates.

maximus
09-01-2003, 02:55 AM
That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Rather than have an ugly cord hanging down from my dash though (from a rear AUX input) I spent a couple of bucks on a female plug and hard-wired it to my dashboard. Now, all I have to do is plug a cord from my PPC to the dash.

Then there is still a problem of ugly cord hanging from your PPC to the dashboard :p

Seriously, you made a hole in the dashboard to insert the female audio plug ? I Personally will make a hole in myself, before I made a hole in the dashboard of my car ...

Linus
09-02-2003, 08:43 PM
Seriously, you made a hole in the dashboard to insert the female audio plug ? I Personally will make a hole in myself, before I made a hole in the dashboard of my car ...

You should check out some of the things guys on MP3Car (http://www.mp3car.com/) do. Touchscreens in-dash; the whole bit:

http://europa.your-site.com/~sharkweb/trev/audi/Dash/Dash%20056.jpg
My car? I wish...

I found a quick-n-dirty way to fix the ugly cord problem - I routed the cord through a hole in the back of my ashtray. When I'm not using it, it's coiled up behind the ashtray door. When it's time for tunes, I just flip the door down, plug in, and... :rock on dude!:

kevdawg2003
09-03-2003, 06:14 AM
i WISH i had a car just to do this sort of thing.