View Full Version : Acidental hard reset, no backup... Any hope for my outlook data??

eyeofthetiger
08-29-2003, 03:37 AM
talk about a screwup, i accidently hard reset my 2210, and i havent backed up my data yet. Its not a terribly big deal, i guess, but i was hoping there was a way i could get the calander/contacts information that i still have safe and sound on my desktop in outlook back into the ipaq. I can reinstall the programs and redo all the settings (didnt have that many anyway) later, but i dont want to lose all those contacts and stuff. However, when i try to sync with my desktop it goes thru the "set up a partnership" dance. it wont allow me to just use the old partnership, it wants to make a new one or use a guest partnership. I cant seem to get it to use the old partnership - how do i explan to my desktop that this ppc is in fact the same old one, but all the data is gone, and so the desktop should send all its data to the ipaq?

Hope this is fixable, and i suppose this is a good reminder for us all to bacup up our stinking data :!:

Steven Cedrone
08-29-2003, 04:18 AM
First, back up your PST file...

Next, back it up again (Just because... :wink: )

Now, set up a new partnership. Your Outlook data will sync to the Pocket PC...

Steve

tok129
08-29-2003, 06:21 AM
when i try to sync with my desktop it goes thru the "set up a partnership" dance. it wont allow me to just use the old partnership, it wants to make a new one or use a guest partnership. I cant seem to get it to use the old partnership - how do i explan to my desktop that this ppc is in fact the same old one?

I had this problem once before as well. All I had to do was change my regional settings back to what they were before the hard reset (as opposed to the defult). Once I did this (and changed the name of my PPC back to what it was - though I am not sure this was needed), activsync recognized it as my old one and I didn't have to set up a new connection. I am not sure this is really necessary, but it made me feel better anyway :wink: .

Either way you do it, once you get your PPC syncing agian, BACK UP your device. I have the ipaq backup application (included in the h2215's ROM) set to make an automatic backup every morning. It has proven to be a life saver 3 times already!

eyeofthetiger
08-30-2003, 04:14 AM
I made a new partnership and everything worked out, thanks for the tip.

FWIW, the problem was due to my stowaway XT keyboard, it has a well documented (serious) flaw (wish i had know about the flaw earlier...) wherby after you install the keyboard driver and reset, the power button wont turn the device on again. The only way to get it back on is with a soft reset. I was trying to soft reset but somehow managed to hard reset it (i didnt even know it was possible). There is a workarround on the brighthand forums for anyone who's interested.

How do you preform a hard reset anyway? I think it actuyally hard reset when i removed and replaced the battery (was trying to get the thing to turn on). I'm a little confused, i would assume that it wont hard reset every time one wants to swap batteries!

nosmohtac
09-02-2003, 05:15 AM
I'm not sure, but I think the back up battery in the 2210/15 only gives you a few minutes of standby power to replace the battery. If you had the battery removed for a short while, this may have caused the hard reset. I also was messing around with a 5450, and it locke up on me. I tried a soft reset, and nothing happened. I then removed the battery, and it hard reset immediately. I think that it will do this if the power is turned on when the battery is removed.

Otherwise, I believe the only way to hard reset your device, is the same way as the other ipaqs. You have to hold down on the appointment and itask buttons ( the outer buttons, left and right) while you press the reset button.