View Full Version : Thumb styli for one-handed operation?

Skoobouy
08-28-2003, 10:49 AM
I want a stylus for my thumb. Yeah--I want to take my PocketPC out of my pocket, turn it on, and use all the menus and enter text with only my one right hand.

If I designed a thumb stylus, here's what I would do:

-Make it skin-tone or black, so it doesn't attract too much attention.
-Adjustable nylon straplet, maybe 2cm wide.
-Two stylus points: one underneath the tip in the most natural position for text entry, and another (detachable) one extending out from the tip for easy access to the Start menu and the rest of the screen.

Is there anything out right now that could serve? What do folks think of this idea here?

Update: I think I found just what I was looking for. Check this out!

http://www.leirpoll.com/thumbwriter.htm#

Heh, just gotta replace the lead.

Crystal Eitle
08-28-2003, 12:42 PM
Also check out TrueTip (http://www.truetip.com/). He makes finger and thumb styli, and also these pen-cap styli that are incredibly handy. The pen cap stylus is the only stylus I use - I've been using it every day for months.

Skoobouy
08-29-2003, 09:23 AM
Thanks Crystal! I've seen TrueTip before, and so far the only problem I have with them is the position of the pointer. It points *out* from the thumb/finger, and not down, as it should. (Unless I'm mistaken).

As it is, the maker of the ThumbWriter responded to my e-mail, saying,

Hello Jeff

Yes' it would be possible to fit a stylus point to the Thumb Writer
instead of the lead. If you want to buy one to try it out, don't
hesitate to contact me.

All the best

Jarle

Unless I'm missing something, TrueTips are mostly for pointing fingers, not thumbs. I might take this guy up on his offer--problem is I doin't have a Pocket PC.

truetip
08-29-2003, 03:16 PM
As a former magician, I am aware of thumb writers. The angle of a thumb writer is going to interfer with your position on the screen. That is why we took over 6 months choosing the proper length and diameter of the patented TrueTip finger stylus. Designing a great stylus is much more complex than it appears.TrueTip comes with a money back guarantee. Let me know if the thumb writer works for you as a stylus. Best of Luck.

Karl Robb
Inventor of TrueTip
www.truetip.com

Skoobouy
08-29-2003, 04:42 PM
Wow, thanks for the reply, Karl! Looks like you registered just for... well, for the contests, but thanks for the reply anyway. :wink:

Since I don't own a PocketPC yet (I'm getting a 1940 when I come home for Christmas) I have no way of testing the ThumbWriter or a TrueTip. I'm interested in understanding more about how a thumbwriter will interfere with my position on the screen. Is it because my the thumb itself obscures the view of the stylus tip?

If I placed a TrueTip on my thumb, would I have adequate access to all of the soft-keyboard and most of the screen with the hand I hold it with? Since the pointer goes out and not down, will it be more difficult to reach the lower-right hand corner of the soft-keyboard?

Thanks for any input you can offer, and I appreciate the feedback.

truetip
08-29-2003, 05:23 PM
I don't know how I got that contest quote but I signed in to respond to this discussion.

Wearing any kind of stylus on your thumb is not going to be the most efficient means of controlling a stylus. Will TrueTip work on your thumb? Sure. My guess is you'll find after a short while it just feels and works better on your index finger. If the stylus curved under your thumb like the writer, you couldn't see the screen well. Your finger would obstruct the screen.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave Beauvais
08-29-2003, 05:42 PM
I don't know how I got that contest quote but I signed in to respond to this discussion.
When you first join the forum and have only one post, your "title" is "I just joined for the contests." As soon as you make a second post to the forums, you begin your journey up the Pocket PC Thoughts road of life, beginning as a Pocket PC Pupil. :)

--Dave

Skoobouy
08-30-2003, 11:50 AM
Heh, cute. :)

Thanks for the explanation. I've always thought TrueTips were a great idea, on any finger. The problem is that my primary task at present is a solution for one-handed operation, for which an index-finger'd TrueTip wouldn't help me. Well, I'll wait until I actually get something, and see what happens then.

Crystal Eitle
08-31-2003, 02:33 AM
TrueTips can fit on your thumb, too. They're expandable.