View Full Version : is there a good reason for owning 2 PDA's????

prototype
08-28-2003, 04:57 AM
I currently have an IPAQ 5555. I've upgraded my way thru the entire 3000 line to the 5000 line. But seeing the 1945 in the store today I was soooo tempted to purchase it. It is just such a great size.

I talked myself out of it figuring what possible use could I have for 2 Pocket PC's. So I thought I would pose the question to all of you.

How many of you actively use 2 (or more) PDA's, and how do you use them differently?

-Drew

psudoc64
08-28-2003, 10:51 AM
I've almost always had two PDAs in use at any point in time - sometimes more when trying to find the "perfect" one. Reasons:

1) Size - Sometimes the iPAQ is just too big to lug around or carry in my pocket. The Tungsten T/T with the basic clear plastic cover fits the bill.

2) Applications - I have yet to find some PPC-based apps that fully replace their Palm counterparts - Handyshopper and KarKare being two of those.

I've seen the 1945 and have had similar ideas, just not the cash to drop at this time.

Chris Spera
08-28-2003, 12:39 PM
Depending on how you use your first PDA, having a second may or may not be overkill.

Many people that use more than one have one for work and one for personal use. I have 4, but use 1 exclusively (5455), and the other 3 for review purposes (1945, 3955, and E200). However, I am so taken by the 1945, that I often toy with making the permanent switch to it...

We're in the same boat, I think...

Christopher Spera

hollis_f
08-28-2003, 01:31 PM
I really, really like my 3970. But a cow-orker has just got a 2210 and I'm trying really hard to come up with a good reason to not buy one in the airport duty-free in a few days time.

I suppose the 3970 could live in the car and just be used for GPS.

mattbugz
08-28-2003, 02:27 PM
I currently have an iPAQ 3835 and a 2215. However, the latter is used by my significant other for the main purpose of GPS. (She gets lost often) :wink: I've always contemplated having more than 1 unit for myself, but I really wouldn't need more than 1. In fact, having more than 1 unit would be more of a dilemma because for my uses, I would constantly have to deal with data synchronization between the two.

mxm
08-28-2003, 10:28 PM
I talked myself out of it figuring what possible use could I have for 2 Pocket PC's. So I thought I would pose the question to all of you.

How many of you actively use 2 (or more) PDA's, and how do you use them differently?

I don't own 2 PDA's (sorry for replying), but, I have a lot of ideas for way's to use more than one PDA in the future:

1. As a wireless info client in different rooms, I'm thinking of using a PDA as music client in the bedroom, wirelessly connecting to my main computer in the study.

2. As a baby-phone with an added camera, access your pda thru VPN in a browser. Other apps: security camera's in every room, spy on your girlfreind etc. OK, there are cheaper ways.

3. An (bit expensive) audioplayer for in your car.

famousdavis
08-28-2003, 10:40 PM
The best reason for owning two PDAs (in my mind) is that I can then give my wife my older, battle-tested PDA so I can begin the process of customizing a brand-spanking-new, hot-off-the-presses PDA for my own use. :D

Theo
08-28-2003, 11:52 PM
Having just brought a nice shiny 5550 I then find that my tight a**ed client won't approve the installation of activesync 3.7 onto any of their desktops; I can't sync my 5550.

I now find myself carrying my old 3630 & the 5550 - very frustating.

They're stuck in the dark ages - activesync 3.1 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

chunkymonkey75
08-28-2003, 11:55 PM
I have three myself. I use the iPaq h2215 almost exclusively. I also have a Blackberry 6510 and a Palm M515. The Blackberry is perfect for when I'm on travel and can keep up on my email (and it's a cellphone). The Palm I use mostly for testing purposes. I love my iPaq the most though.