View Full Version : Today screen items switch application??

cambium
08-27-2003, 11:15 PM
I'm kind of new to PocketPC so forgive if this has been posted before...

Is there some kind of application (free?) that can switch on and off the items on the Today screen FROM the Today screen? I really like the cool themes you can get for PPC Today screen but all the text makes it hard to see. I'd like to be able to switch the text on and off right from the Today screen without having to go into the Settings|Today| etc etc...

Anything like this?

Thanks

dean_shan
08-28-2003, 12:09 AM
Wow one post and you're already a subscriber! Sorry of topic. I have only seen shareware programs that do that, sorry. :cry:

cambium
08-28-2003, 03:12 AM
I've actually lurked here for a long time and felt that I was getting so much back... I went for the full membership. :rock on dude!: I have to admit I don't really appreciate the "I only joined for the contests.." title attached to my avatar. :? I guess I better get posting...

I'd still be interested in shareware apps that do this. Any names or URLs to check out??

Thanks for posting!

Steven Cedrone
08-28-2003, 03:58 AM
I have to admit I don't really appreciate the "I only joined for the contests.." title attached to my avatar. :? I guess I better get posting...

See that, it's gone already... :wink:

Steve

cambium
08-28-2003, 04:38 AM
Ok .. Ok.. I'm happy now :oops:

Back to the matter at hand... Any apps to switch the Today info on and off? I didn't mean to sound cheap but free is always nice. I'm willing to pay for it. Any titles that anyone knows of??

ctmagnus
08-28-2003, 05:35 AM
There's at least one that I know of. I believe it's free but I'm not 100% sure at the moment. It was an all or nothing thing: either you had everything that was checked in the control panel applet, on the Today screen, or nothing. I can't remember the name right now as I used it once and uninstalled it; I crave info on my today screen. ;)

cambium
08-28-2003, 05:53 AM
Thanks ctmagnus. If it comes to you, please let me know. I too crave info on my Today screen but those themes look pretty nice too. Kind of hooked on the cool Matrix ones out right now. It'd be nice to swap between the two seamlessly.

peppzilla
08-28-2003, 06:32 AM
Here is the link to the app ctmagnus was talking about, I think: No Plugins Today (http://www.ictinus.com/NoPluginsToday/), and it is free.

You can probably find opinions about it in the discussion (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12923).

MTUX TodayX (http://www.handango.com/brainstore/...productId=75298) is not free, but it's cheap and it lets you switch between different today screens. Discussion here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13130).

Theme Dream (http://www.applian.com/pocketpc/themedream/index.php) and Theme Master (http://www.theraggios.com/rpa/ThemeMaster.htm) are apps that let you change the theme manually or automatically.

iant54
08-28-2003, 12:48 PM
As the discussion on "No Plugins Today" is almost three months old (and contains quite a bit of OT comment), I'll post my comment here.

NPT worked on my PPC2002 iPAQ, but when I tried it on WM2003, it hung - probably needs to be updated to be compatible?

Possum48
08-28-2003, 04:27 PM
I downloaded the program and went to install it from the desktop. No go, all I got was some message in WinZip that it could not read the file.

Can someone help me get this program installed on my Tosh e335.

Thanks,

Crystal Eitle
08-28-2003, 04:29 PM
I downloaded the program and went to install it from the desktop. No go, all I got was some message in WinZip that it could not read the file.

Can someone help me get this program installed on my Tosh e335.

I think it's a CAB file. Drag the file to your pocket PC. Using File Explorer on your Pocket PC , find the file and double-tap it. It should install.

cambium
08-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Well...I just finished deleting MTUX Today from my device. It says its WM2003 compatible and I guess it kind of is. The only problem is that to switch between screens you have to do a soft reset after clicking the switch. Not quite what I had in mind :wink:

fit4life
08-28-2003, 09:08 PM
anyone no a way to get around the number of today plug-in wm2003 allows? I have been using PPC's for years and until now i have never come across this issue. There are so many today screen plug-ins that when you install a program that uses one a different gets booted of the today options menu...

AAARRRGGGHHH......... :bad-words:

ddavtian
08-28-2003, 09:59 PM
anyone no a way to get around the number of today plug-in wm2003 allows? I have been using PPC's for years and until now i have never come across this issue. There are so many today screen plug-ins that when you install a program that uses one a different gets booted of the today options menu...
AAARRRGGGHHH......... :bad-words:

I delete not used plugins from registry, keep only the ones I want.
It's under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Today\Items.

Back to topic: I'm using "No Plugins Today" on PPC2002 without any problems. I even have an Icbar's custom button for this.

David

cambium
08-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Oh so close!!!

David, thanks - the No Plugins Today software is exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately, it has not been updated for WM2003. I installed an ARM version for PPC 2002 and it locks up the device when trying to toggle off the plugins. Soft reset will bring back the device with the Today plugins off. Tap the icon again and the Today plugins come back (w/o a reset!). The program icon can be mounted in the I have sent email to the developer of this freeware app to find out if it will be updated. I'll keep everyone posted on his reply.

disconnected
08-29-2003, 11:20 PM
I've decided to give up on fancy themes, because I'm tired of not being able to read anything on the screen. Now I'm looking for themes that are mostly plain, with maybe just a design on the bottom quarter of the screen. There are a few on mcdeb.com, and she said she'd work on creating some more. I'm sure there are some on themes.com, but they're kind of hard to find because they're not categorized that way.

One other possibility is Dashboard. I used it with PPC 2000, but than got away from it, and it appears that the latest version has just been in beta for a long time.

KiLLiN-TiMe
08-29-2003, 11:45 PM
I just skimmed through the posts on this forum so correct me if someone already offered.
Have you tried Magic Button (http://www.trancreative.com/Product.aspx?id=7)?
It is a free program that actually closes programs and "Provides Task bar with running task icons, activated by tap and hold on the Close/OK button. It hides automatically when you don't need it. Map a hardware button to MB then show or hide task bar with a touch. "
Might be just what you are looking for and the price is right :wink:

ctmagnus
08-30-2003, 06:37 AM
Actually, Magic Button is an extremely stripped-down form of Wisbar/Icbar/Gigabar. It doesn't do anything to hide the Today Screen items.

KiLLiN-TiMe
08-30-2003, 03:34 PM
Sorry, I thought he was looking for a task switcher... upon re-reading his request I now see what he is looking for. :oops: