View Full Version : PocketPCMall.com is FINALLY Open!

Stone
08-27-2003, 06:55 PM
Come on by and check it out! You can read the press release here (http://www.pocketpcmall.com/enewsletter.php?id=2)!

Dave Beauvais
08-28-2003, 05:32 AM
Just one question: Will you be making a habit of spamming people? I note in the spam I received announcing your new site that you are "committed to protecting [my] privacy and respecting [my] choice for contact." When, exactly, did I choose to be added to the mailing list for your new site?

I don't appreciate being added to opt-out mailing lists; there are better ways to promote yourself than sending messages to e-mail addresses gathered from another site. (I'm assuming here that you sent messages to registered members of PocketThemes.com. If that is not the case, I'd like to know where you picked up that e-mail address from.) Nowhere on the Pocket Themes site can I find text which states that the e-mail address I enter will be used to spam me; all it says is that it'll be used if I forget my password. Do you have a privacy policy of any kind which I agreed to which allows you to do this?

Additionally, the e-mail provided no way of removing myself from your mailing list should I choose to do so. The 0x0 pixel "web bug" image at the end is a nice touch, too.

In this day and age especially, I feel this is in very poor taste. I urge you to quickly come up with a better way of promoting your site because this has already cost you at least one potential customer.

--Dave

Steven Cedrone
08-28-2003, 01:04 PM
Additionally, the e-mail provided no way of removing myself from your mailing list should I choose to do so.

You can SPAM me once (why not, everybody else does... :wink: ), but you better give me a way to opt-out...

Not a good "First Impression"...

Steve

Stone
08-28-2003, 07:57 PM
I apologize for that! The test emails we sent out all had the Unsubscribe and Update Profile links in them. In fact, the text version we sent out had them as well :!: :(

The only thing we can figure is that the company we use to send the emails stripped them out. The add their own code to the html we upload to track clicks, etc.

Anyway, the site is doing extraordinarily good, better than we could have hoped for. Besides that, we had to come up with some way to pay for the massive amounts of bandwidth PocketThemes.com (http://www.pocketthemes.com) uses. :!:

We will be sending out monthly eNewsletters now and I personally promise that they will all have the correct links in them from now on.

The moral of the story is, you live and you learn and life goes on. :wink:

Thanks to everyone who has supported us over the last couple of years though as every cent helps keep the FREE PocketThemes.com (http://www.pocketthemes.com) alive especially now as we have almost reached 60,000 free themes! :)

Dave Beauvais
08-28-2003, 08:53 PM
I apologize for that! The test emails we sent out all had the Unsubscribe and Update Profile links in them. ... We will be sending out monthly eNewsletters now and I personally promise that they will all have the correct links in them from now on.
You seem to have missed my point. Subscribing users to opt-out mailing lists without their knowledge -- no matter how good your intent -- is just not right. What your company did is no better than what spammers do to millions upon millions of Internet users each and every day. I neither desire nor requested your newsletters, which is the definition of spam in my dictionary. I don't appreciate an e-mail address that I provided in good faith for notification purposes on another site being used for marketing purposes. That's simply inexcusable.

--Dave

Stone
08-28-2003, 09:49 PM
No Dave, your point was obvious, you received something in your email you didn't want.

As the bottom of the email says: "This communication is intended to provide you with valuable information available to you as a PocketPC enthusiast."

Your email address has been removed and there isn't much more I can do at this point.

jgahr
08-28-2003, 10:06 PM
Doesn't matter to me if you send now, since you have been permanently blocked because of this spam, so I'll never see it again.
Just like everyone else, I like to have the option of who I'll let troll me or not. In this case, not.
:devilboy: