View Full Version : Atari and Intellivision...

sponge
08-26-2003, 11:48 PM
The Atari thing? They're pretty snazzy.

dean_shan
08-26-2003, 11:51 PM

No I ment the FlyGrabber. I have the Atari thing. That thing is sweet.

Perry Reed
08-27-2003, 12:10 AM

Not to brag... well, ok I'm bragging. I have three different Atari handheld units. One plays 10 original Atari games (and looks like an original Atari joystick). The downside to this one is that the games are actually ports of the originals and aren't exactly like the originals.

I have one that plays 10 Activision games (for Atari) that's pretty good, although it's missing my favorite Activision game; Starmaster.

And I have one "grey market" import from Hong Kong that plays 127 Atari games from various game companies. It even has a joystick port on it so you can play two-player games. The only downside to this one is that, unlike the other two which use composite video and audio, this one outputs an RF signal, so you have to plug it in via the cable input (which loses picture quality).

Just out this month is this gadget (http://www.intellivisionlives.com/retrotopia/direct2tv.shtml), which is next on my list.

sponge
08-27-2003, 12:57 AM
If you have to worry about losing picture quality on Atari games you need something else to do ;)
Got a link with info about the 3rd one? Haven't heard that one before, and it seems the HK pirates know what consumers want more again.

T-Will
08-27-2003, 12:58 AM

Not to brag... well, ok I'm bragging. I have three different Atari handheld units. One plays 10 original Atari games (and looks like an original Atari joystick). The downside to this one is that the games are actually ports of the originals and aren't exactly like the originals.

I have one that plays 10 Activision games (for Atari) that's pretty good, although it's missing my favorite Activision game; Starmaster.

And I have one "grey market" import from Hong Kong that plays 127 Atari games from various game companies. It even has a joystick port on it so you can play two-player games. The only downside to this one is that, unlike the other two which use composite video and audio, this one outputs an RF signal, so you have to plug it in via the cable input (which loses picture quality).

Just out this month is this gadget (http://www.intellivisionlives.com/retrotopia/direct2tv.shtml), which is next on my list.

Another gadget you might want to try is this thing called a Pocket PC. Along with an emulator and ROMS you can play most game systems out there all in the palm of your hand. ;)

Perry Reed
08-27-2003, 01:07 AM
If you have to worry about losing picture quality on Atari games you need something else to do ;)
Got a link with info about the 3rd one? Haven't heard that one before, and it seems the HK pirates know what consumers want more again.

Try: http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=2&c=827

As for losing picture quality, it really does make a difference, even with the relatively simple Atari graphics.

Perry Reed
08-27-2003, 01:08 AM
Another gadget you might want to try is this thing called a Pocket PC. Along with an emulator and ROMS you can play most game systems out there all in the palm of your hand. ;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah. :)

Actually, I don't much like emulators. They almost never get everything right. I think the best way to play those old games is on the original hardware, with the original cartridges.

The handhelds are just an easy way to play the games where it would be inconvenient to carry an original console and a bunch of carts.

dean_shan
08-27-2003, 01:14 AM
Not to brag... well, ok I'm bragging.

No with all that you deserve to brag. I just have the 10 pack one.

GoldKey
08-27-2003, 01:43 AM

Here is bragging, I have an orignal Atari and Intellivision that still work. I have that 10 in one Atari Joystick and want to get the Intelevision and Activision one. They also have an arcade one with Pac man DigDug and a few other games.

dean_shan
08-27-2003, 02:15 AM
Nice! Me wanty!

Perry Reed
08-27-2003, 02:26 AM

Here is bragging, I have an orignal Atari and Intellivision that still work. I have that 10 in one Atari Joystick and want to get the Intelevision and Activision one. They also have an arcade one with Pac man DigDug and a few other games.

I've got 5 working Ataris, 4 working Intellivisions, and about 400 cartridges between them.

I saw that arcade handheld and almost bought it. I still might.

dean_shan
08-27-2003, 03:30 AM
Perry you are the man. :werenotworthy:

Jason Dunn
08-27-2003, 03:47 AM
I've got 5 working Ataris, 4 working Intellivisions, and about 400 cartridges between them.

Daaaaaaamn boy! I grew up playing on the Intellivision my older uncle had - every time it was a "visit to Grandma's" weekend, I'd love to go, because it means it was time to play Utopia! :way to go:

ctmagnus
08-27-2003, 04:32 AM
We had an Intellivision. I never got into it much. Not portable enough. :wink:

Also, I predict a thread-splitting soon. :wink: :D :wink: :D :wink:

Steven Cedrone
08-27-2003, 04:43 AM
This thread was split from here... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=155406#155406)

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Steven Cedrone
08-27-2003, 04:44 AM

What do you do, check to see if I'm logged in??? :wink:

Steve

ctmagnus
08-27-2003, 05:18 AM

Steve

No, but I occasionally check to see if I'm logged in. It's easier to reply that way. :wink:

Kati Compton
08-27-2003, 07:13 AM
I had a Coleco-vision. ;)

Kevin C. Tofel
08-27-2003, 11:13 AM
Here's a stretch: did anyone besides me have the Odyssey2 by Magnavox? I remember all the cool kids had Atari's, Intellivision's and Colecovision's with the "real" games and I had all of the "knock off" games.....of course I have a PPC today and those "kids" are all grown up and probably have a Palm.... :wink:

KCT

Perry Reed
08-27-2003, 02:56 PM
Perry you are the man. :werenotworthy:

Why thank you. I started collecting the classic games a few years ago. Way back when we had an Atari, but only about 15 games for it; they were just too expensive to buy many more. But now, you can find the consoles for under $20 (usually under $10) and most cartidges for a buck or two at thrift stores. So it's a pretty cheap hobby to have now.

And despite the simple graphics and gameplay, a lot of those old games are still very FUN!

Crystal Eitle
08-27-2003, 03:34 PM
Here's a stretch: did anyone besides me have the Odyssey2 by Magnavox? I remember all the cool kids had Atari's, Intellivision's and Colecovision's with the "real" games and I had all of the "knock off" games.....of course I have a PPC today and those "kids" are all grown up and probably have a Palm.... :wink:

Yayyy!!!!! I had an Odyssey 2. My sister and I played that thing for hours. We never had an Atari or a Nintendo, since my mom was opposed to video games, but when my aunt offered us the hand-me-down Odyssey, my mom couldn't say no. One of my favorites was the golf game - if you hit the ball into a tree, the little guy on the screen would bang his club on the ground and "swear" (it would make these little bleep-bloop sounds). Hours of hilarity. I also liked the racing game, the Space Invaders knock-off, and the Pac Man knockoff. Man, if there were an Odyssey 2 emulator for PPC I would buy it in a minute.

Switching topics: I recently bought a disc of 30 Activision Classics for my Playstation. Man, those old Atari games are boring. Boooo-ring. I played a few different games on it with my friends up at the cabin a couple weeks ago, and have not touched it since. (The Playstation gets used strictly for DDR now).

Switching topics again: Having not played video games since I was 14 (I'm 28 now), I'm pleasantly surprised with how marvelous the technology is these days. My boyfriend's Gamecube has provided hours of amusement for us and all our friends, and I'm eagerly awating the release of the Flame Red Gameboy Advance SP on September 8th so I can immerse myself in handheld gaming delight. Nothing like taking a 14-year break from technology to be absolutely stunned and amazed by the progress it's made.

Crystal Eitle
08-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Looking at the list of games on this Odyssey site (http://www.classicgaming.com/museum/faqs/o2faq.shtml) - the helicopter game was fun, too. I'd totally forgotten about that.

Perry Reed
08-27-2003, 04:03 PM
Looking at the list of games on this Odyssey site (http://www.classicgaming.com/museum/faqs/o2faq.shtml) - the helicopter game was fun, too. I'd totally forgotten about that.

I've never owned an Odyssey, but I used to see one on display in this TV/stereo shop in the mall way back when and I'd always go in and check it out. Usually, though, the salesguys wouldn't let us kids play with it. I always thought the games looked pretty fun, even if they weren't quite as "advanced" as our Atari.

Incidentally, the very first video game console we ever had (and I still have it) was this thing (http://www.pong-story.com/coleco_telstar.htm).

ctmagnus
08-27-2003, 07:02 PM
(The Playstation gets used strictly for DDR now).

DDR? From Acronym Finder (http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?p=dict&String=exact&Acronym=DDR):

DDR Deutsche Demokratische Republik (former East Germany)
DDR Double Data Rate (RAM)
DDR Daily Demand Rate
DDR Daily Document Register
DDR Dance Dance Revolution (band)
DDR Dance Dance Revolution (dance simulation game series)
DDR DASD Dump and Restore
DDR Data Delivery Rate (Sprint)
DDR Data Descriptive Record
DDR Data Direction Register
DDR Data Distribution Requirement
DDR Deficiency and Disposition Report
DDR Definitive Design Review
DDR Desensitization Dynamic Range
DDR Detailed Design Review
DDR Dial-on-Demand Routing
DDR Dienst Donorregister
DDR Digital Data Recorder
DDR Digital Disk Recorder
DDR Direct Data Retrieval
DDR Discovery Data Record (Microsoft System Management Server)
DDR Disposition Decision Review
DDR Distributed Dynamic Reservation
DDR Document Discrepancy Report
DDR Driver's Defect Report
DDR Dual Dial Restore
DDR Dual Doppler Radar
DDR Dual-Depletion Region
DDR Dynamic Desktop Router
DDR Radar Picket Destroyer (US Navy ship type)

:confused totally:

Crystal Eitle
08-27-2003, 07:05 PM
(The Playstation gets used strictly for DDR now).

DDR? From Acronym Finder (http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?p=dict&String=exact&Acronym=DDR):

Mmmm. Guess I should've put a link with the acronym. Although, since only one of these options is a game, you'd think you'd have been able to deduce which one I was referring to :bangin: :mrgreen: .

On the other hand, I found out from your list that there's a band called Dance Dance Revolution. Cool.

ctmagnus
08-27-2003, 10:26 PM
Whoops :oops: , I skipped over the second Dance Dance Revolution entry.
That's what too much skimming over content does to you. You start to miss duplicate entries every once in a while.

maximus
08-28-2003, 01:28 AM

Steve

Steve, If you ever need another assistant moderator ... Ct has shown genuine interest in forum moderation. he heh.

maximus
08-28-2003, 01:32 AM

Mmmm. Guess I should've put a link with the acronym. Although, since only one of these options is a game, you'd think you'd have been able to deduce which one I was referring to :bangin: :mrgreen: .

Dance dance revolution... That thing always trigger my curiosity. People dancing (looping, jumping, etc.) following instruction from a TV, in public. I dont get that. I mean, if I want to dance, I will dance with a human partner, not a TV monitor.

dean_shan
08-28-2003, 02:04 AM
DDR is fun, give it a try. You feel a little goofy at first but you get over it. It is a lot better if you dance with someone.