View Full Version : What's a good Computer Science College?

David Prahl
08-26-2003, 09:06 PM
As some of you may know, I'm one of the younger members of the team here at PPCT. Going into my last year of High School, I KNOW that I want to get a degree in Computer Science. Perhaps Networking or Security.

I'm considering Michigan Tech (www.mtu.edu). What other schools do you know of that have a good CS department?

Steven Cedrone
08-26-2003, 09:23 PM
Did you want to stay in the same area?

Steve

Jacob
08-26-2003, 09:37 PM
I'm pretty sure the University of Illinois in Champagne(sp?) is quite good...

guinness
08-26-2003, 10:00 PM
I went to MTU for EE, I'm not really sure what the CS department is all about. We did have some CS students do pretty well in programming compititions.

I've known people that have gone to Michigan State and U of M and they have really good engineering/computing programs too.

University of Chicago is probably good too.

David Prahl
08-26-2003, 10:27 PM
Yes, I'd like to within a day's drive of the Wisconsin area.

I'd prefer a non-urban setting, if possible.

I know this isn't exactly a "career-centric" board, but I'd like to hear what you guys have heard about schools.

Thanks!

Kati Compton
08-26-2003, 11:10 PM
Yes, I'd like to within a day's drive of the Wisconsin area.
University of Wisconsin is highly rated.

Northwestern University is just north of Chicago, so it's urban.

UIUC is down in Champaign-Urbana, which is definitely not urban.

MTU- that's upper penninsula, isn't it? That's pretty remote....

Janak Parekh
08-27-2003, 02:30 AM
This is probably stretching the definition of a "day's drive", but University of Waterloo (www.uwaterloo.ca) is probably top-15 internationally in Computer Science; they are generally ranked up there alongside Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, Berkeley, etc.

--janak

maximus
08-27-2003, 03:35 AM
This is probably stretching the definition of a "day's drive", but University of Waterloo (www.uwaterloo.ca) is probably top-15 internationally in Computer Science; they are generally ranked up there alongside Carnegie Mellon, Stanford, Berkeley, etc.

--janak

Eh, lets not forget about the University of Texas at Austin :rock on dude!:

maximus
08-27-2003, 03:43 AM
University of Wisconsin is highly rated.
Northwestern University is just north of Chicago, so it's urban.
UIUC is down in Champaign-Urbana, which is definitely not urban.
MTU- that's upper penninsula, isn't it? That's pretty remote....

Yes, I would say UW at Madison, UI at Urbana-Champaign, U of Minnesota at Twin Cities, and Indiana U at Bloomington will be good choices if he wants to stay within a day drive.

But if he is willing to go more than a day drive, I would suggest UNC Chapel Hill, or Texas at Austin. Good education, reasonable hole in wallet.

Jacob
08-27-2003, 06:42 AM

--janak

It would be less than 24hrs! :P

... but yes, a very good university!