View Full Version : wifi with activeync gives guest parternership

Sling_Blade
08-26-2003, 08:24 PM
Has anyone had this problem? I can connect to the internet and sync using wifi... but my desktop shows it as a guest partnership, while my pocket pc just says "connecting". Anyone know what is going on?

Sooner Al
08-26-2003, 10:37 PM
Text deleted

Steven Cedrone
08-26-2003, 11:29 PM
I have the same problem (infrastructure mode). Still working on it... :wink:

Steve

ctmagnus
08-27-2003, 01:33 AM
Do you have any kind of hosts file (http://www.zimac.de/cestuff.htm) set up? In my experience, Pocket PC 2002 requires one to sync with the desktop via Wi-Fi but Pocket PC 2003 doesn't like them. I removed the entry for my desktop from Pocket Hosts on my iPaq 5550 and it synched right away after several weeks of not synching wirelessly.

Steven Cedrone
08-27-2003, 05:03 AM
Do you have any kind of hosts file (http://www.zimac.de/cestuff.htm) set up? In my experience, Pocket PC 2002 requires one to sync with the desktop via Wi-Fi but Pocket PC 2003 doesn't like them. I removed the entry for my desktop from Pocket Hosts on my iPaq 5550 and it synched right away after several weeks of not synching wirelessly.

Holy cow!!!

That worked!!! And it only took 1335 posts to get us here... :wink:

Steve

ctmagnus
08-27-2003, 05:45 AM

Holy cow!!!

That worked!!! And it only took 1335 posts to get us here... :wink:

Steve

You mean you didn't know about this before? 8O Maybe PPCT needs a section somewhere explaining the new features of each new OS.

It took me by surprise too. I tried pinging another machine by name instead if IP and the host resolution worked. I had to crawl under the desk to retrieve my socks after that! :wink:

Sling_Blade
08-27-2003, 07:21 AM
Yes, I have 2003, and I have pocket hosts already. What I did was add my computer name and IP using pocket hosts. I also tried unchecking my computer in Pocket PC hosts, and that didn't work. I'll try deleting it and see if that works. Thanks =P

Sling_Blade
08-27-2003, 06:34 PM
Man this pisses me off. I go to try this out today and what does my Netgear MA701 card do? "Unrecognized card" message and won't work at all. I've had this problem before and had to send in for a replacement. Bewarned: The MA701 is not reliable.

Steven Cedrone
08-27-2003, 08:05 PM
You mean you didn't know about this before?

I never bothered to try it before. One of the first apps I loaded on my 2215 was Pocket Hosts...

Steve

ctmagnus
08-27-2003, 10:49 PM
I never bothered to try it before. One of the first apps I loaded on my 2215 was Pocket Hosts...

Steve

Same with me. but the other way around. After sitting here for a couple hours and developing a serious case of boredom, I unchecked the box and gave it a whirl.

I wonder how many great discoveries are a direct result of boredom?

EddieH28
10-16-2003, 09:17 PM
it worked for me after installing pocket hosts, setting my host pc on a static ip adress, adding that ip affress and pc name to pocket hosts, and changed "connect to my network using MY ISP". once i did that i was able to wifi activesync

DrtyBlvd
10-17-2003, 09:57 PM
Bugger me, I had to find my socks too! 8O

It works!!! :lol:

For those who have been as 'chronically unable' as I have, here's what I did -

Disabled ICS on the wireless adapter on the desktop
Used pocket hosts to enter the IP address for the desktop on the iPaq
Pinged the desktop IP (actually NOT the desktop IP, the subnet thing I think it was? Router? One of those numbers anyway)
Checked allow network access on the AS desktop options

Hit sync on the iPaq, and Ping it connected! But as 'Guest' .... :?

Re-read the post re. removal of number from PCHosts, took it out, and volia off it went! :!:

Consider me astonished. 0X

Now I have BT AND WiFi! Choices choices choices....

Where's the check box for 'disconnect after sync' again? I'm hoping that's why it just went ping and connection dropped.... :?:

PS - Great thread at http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=a0bebcb93ba01677f76349a026cdf8bb&threadid=23501&perpage=15&pagenumber=5 that helped a lot - read in conjunction with this lot as well, if I can do it, anyone can! Thank you to the original poster!