View Full Version : Where is the offline hotmail reader?????

hshortt
08-26-2003, 09:25 AM
Now then, this one should seperate the newbies from the vets.

If you recall back in the days of PPC2002 launch, we were promised an offline hotmail reader. It's even kind of included on the upgrade CD but links to Microsoft's site which states that it's "in development".

Now that we have moved a generation forward, I see that it's now a part of PocketMSN. (PPC2003)

I feel cheated. :(

Am I alone?

AndyD
08-26-2003, 06:50 PM
You could try using something like Hotmail Popper, which would download the messages locally to Outlook. It fools Outlook into thinking it's a pop mail account. The only problem is that if you actually intend to reply to the email on your PPC, since I'm not exactly sure how email and Outlook connectivity works with the PPC just yet (total newbie) and whether it allows you to choose different email accounts to reply to a email.

If you do end up trying this, I would use a rule (Tools -> Rules) to seperate the email accounts as Outlook will by default combine the two. The Rules wizard makes it very easy to do.

Sven Johannsen
08-27-2003, 02:56 AM
Now that we have moved a generation forward, I see that it's now a part of PocketMSN. (PPC2003)

Don't feel bad because PPC2003 'has it'. Opening the PocketMSN link does have an MSN Hotmail icon that says 'Manage E-Mail messages online and offline'. But the bottom line says "Tap Continue for online pricing availability and device requirements." Note: pricing. Tapping continue eventually takes you to a page that says Coming Soon. If I recall correctly that is what the PPC Hotmail page said too. I'm sure this will actually come about though since there is a cost involved :(

AndyD
08-27-2003, 03:45 AM
My way involves no money :) Not a guarantee that it will work but worth a try if you really want to read your hotmail email offline.