View Full Version : Basic Compaq CF Expansion Pack Plus question

KuroNeko
08-25-2003, 02:59 PM
I'm looking for a CF sleeve for my 3970. The Compaq CF Expansion Pack Plus is an option I'm considering.

With just a 920mAh battery, this isn't a cheap option. My question is how do you load this battery? Does the 3970 with sleeve still fit the cradle? Or do you load it out of the cradle? Or do you absolutely need the second battery loader? Will the second battery load last or first (or at same time), and does it provide power to the Ipaq or only to the CF expansion?

TIA

Neko

wocket
08-25-2003, 08:46 PM
You can charge the iPAQ with the expansion pack+ attached in the cradle or just with the PSU if you want.

I only ever had problems if I tried to use it with a USB charger. The expansion would'nt charge or at leaset it takes forever.

Hope that helps

Janak Parekh
08-25-2003, 08:50 PM
Just to add to wocket's answer, you most definitely do not need the separate charger -- I've never had one. Used the cradle all the time, without any problems. The two little tabs on the cradle recess themselves to accomodate the extra width of the iPAQ with sleeve.

With the CF+ sleeve, at least on my 3870, the CF+'s battery would drain down first, supplying power to both the iPAQ and the CF card, and then once it was gone the main battery would start to drain. Note that this behavior has changed in the 5xxx units, which only allow the CF+'s battery to power the CF slot. Since you have a 3970, I believe the behavior should mirror my 3870's. Overall, I loved the solution; the difference, especially with my Microdrive, was nothing short of astonishing -- I couldn't drain the 3870's batteries in a heavy day of use.

--janak

KuroNeko
08-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Definitely looks like an interesting option. I heard a few people complain about an annoying battery message once the CF sleeve battery would be empty. Is this bug fixed?

I also finally heard from Pitech. The Memplug Dual CF with 2000mAh battery will go on sale the first week of september. This is actually cheaper than the Compaq sleeve, and has over twice the battery power. Not sure if it'll be as thin.

I wonder if Pitech products are as high quality as Compaq's?

Neko

Janak Parekh
08-25-2003, 09:57 PM
Definitely looks like an interesting option. I heard a few people complain about an annoying battery message once the CF sleeve battery would be empty. Is this bug fixed?
Not sure it's a bug per se, and I don't think it's "fixed". I did notice it, but didn't find it too annoying for what I did -- you get a warning at 40%, and at 0%, I believe.

I wonder if Pitech products are as high quality as Compaq's?
I haven't heard any complaints about Pitech's products, although they have less exposure than HP/Compaq's.

--janak

Takuo
08-27-2003, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I also finally heard from Pitech. The Memplug Dual CF with 2000mAh battery will go on sale the first week of september.
Neko

any photos about that ? :?:
Thanks!

KuroNeko
08-27-2003, 06:55 AM
No photos. The Dutch online store that brought it to my attention had a picture of the regular Memplug Dual CF, with addded description of the extra battery. Seems they didn't know exactly either and Pitech hasn't updated their site yet.

Pitech said they'd update their site before the end of the month, so we should know how thick it is by the end of this week :)

Neko

Pocket PC Dubai
08-29-2003, 01:32 AM
the CF+'s battery would drain down first, supplying power to both the iPAQ and the CF card, and then once it was gone the main battery would start to drain. Note that this behavior has changed in the 5xxx units, which only allow the CF+'s battery to power the CF slot

Is it the same behavior when you connect the iPAQ h5450 with the wireless pack (GSM/GPRS sleeve)? I noticed that the expansion pack built-in battery will charge the main battery on iPAQ!

Janak Parekh
08-29-2003, 01:35 AM
Is it the same behavior when you connect the iPAQ h5450 with the wireless pack (GSM/GPRS sleeve)? I noticed that the expansion pack built-in battery will charge the main battery on iPAQ!
No idea about the wireless pack; they're extremely rare in the US. I've only heard these reports about the CF+'s battery from (numerous) second-hand sources, as I don't own a 5450 myself.

--janak

Pocket PC Dubai
08-29-2003, 09:53 AM
I would like to correct my previous post :oops: , actually it is the opposite! I just confirmed that the main battery in iPAQ is charging the Wireless Pack!!! 8O When the main battery on the device is totally drained, the device will not work, simply it will be dead 0% battery however the Wireless sleeve is fully charged, so the built in battery is not utilized :(

That’s weird, anybody can provide a patch to correct this?