View Full Version : iPAQ 5600 Series

piperpilot
08-25-2003, 01:46 PM
I was in CompUSA this weekend playing around with the floor sample H5555 iPAQ. I got talking to the sales person about the iPAQs in general and she mentioned that HP was already developing the 5600 series iPAQ, which would come with built in GPS :!: Have any of you heard anything else about this new series? If what this person says is true, I am all of a sudden very glad that I didn't buy the 5500 series :D

petvas
08-25-2003, 02:55 PM
There are rumours about 5600 series iPaq with integrated GSM Connectivity... Anyway, I believe that HP will delay such a release until next year (the earlier)...
We should expect to see the 4000 series first...

mhskateboarder
08-25-2003, 03:35 PM
I am waiting on the 4000 series because it is supposed to be a mix of the 5000 and 2200 series.

Dave Beauvais
08-25-2003, 05:48 PM
I generally take anything a CompUSA (or any other store, for that matter) salesperson says with a shaker of salt. I'm sure they have no better information than the rumors we hear. When I bought my h5455 at a local CompUSA, the salesperson told me they had all been recalled because HP was releasing a new revision of the device that would be firmware upgradeable for use as a cell phone.

As it turns out, HP actually recalled them because the devices themselves were labeled with the HP direct sales part number instead of the retail part number, even though the label on the box was correct. I'm not sure where the guy got that cell phone idea from, but he clearly had no clue.

--Dave

Chris Spera
08-25-2003, 05:55 PM
The rumors about the 5600 series device have been around for almost a year. I haven't seen anything of substance from HP, and don't expect to see anything on this device... however, I hope that I am wrong.

The rumors about the 4000 series devices have been around for about 3-6 months, and I also have not seen anything of real substance from HP on this either. I'd like to see something on this come to fruition (sp).

However, as we have seen recently with the Gateway PPC, it ain't over until the fat lady sings. Until they release a device, I'm not holding my breath...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

biogon
08-25-2003, 08:29 PM
Piperpilot,

This is a late comment, but here goes.

Did you by chance go to the Columbia, MD CompUSA?

I got the same spiel from the CSR there. "Wait for the 5600 series, it'll have GPS", when I picked up my 5555 last week.

GPS!? When a generic GPS device costs $100-200? I'm not sure they'd build that in.

I figured she got her acronyms wrong when I looked up the rumored 5600 series and discovered GSM capability...

I think she got it confused with GPRS.

By the way... It's August, and they're still telling us the same thing. ;)

-jon

piperpilot
08-25-2003, 08:34 PM
Did you by chance go to the Columbia, MD CompUSA?

Indeed I did. I thought it was strange that they would include built-in GPS--the Bluetooth GPS units go for about $300--for the regular price of the 5xxx series. Now I'm back to being :cry: about missing out on the 5555.

mhskateboarder
08-25-2003, 08:52 PM
I also go to the Columbia CompUSA. I think it's one of the better ones in MD. Ever been to the Glen Burnie one? Don't even waste your time. I know that is off topic but oh well.

piperpilot
08-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Glen Burnie is way too far for me to go unless I have to go to the DMV, which I try at all costs to avoid. I'm in West Friendship, so it's much easier for me to go to Columbia.

mhskateboarder
08-25-2003, 08:55 PM
I'm living up at UMBC right now and I work in Laurel so i'm somewhat close either way.

piperpilot
08-25-2003, 08:58 PM
After I wrote my reply, I remembered that I have been to the Glen Burnie store back about 7 years ago when I was working in Catonsville. I bought a computer there. I don't remember the store being bad, but that was a long time ago in an employment galaxy far, far away!

mhskateboarder
08-25-2003, 09:00 PM
I was there a couple months ago and it just seemed run down. The handhelds didn't have battery's in them so you couldn't mess around. It also seemed like all of the lights were off. I just know I'd rather go to Columbia.

piperpilot
08-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Wow, that's not good. They had a good selection of toys at Columbia and I spent quite a while playing with them while my husband tried to find a Siemens wireless cable router to replace the one that broke. I had plenty of time to play because as it turns out, Siemens doesn't make routers any more. Anyway, all the PDAs at the Columbia store had batteries. I have to say that I was very impressed with the 5555. The speed with which the applications loaded was a noticeable improvement over the 5455.

mhskateboarder
08-25-2003, 09:35 PM
I was looking at the 5555 in case my 5455 didn't perform that well with Windows Mobile 2003. I'm not disappointed but I am still envious of the 5555 and 2215 for their speed. I am hoping rumors of the 4000 series are true because I think I can wait until that is released. I like the size of the 2215 but the fact that it didn't have integrated wireless made me not want it. The 5555 was looking good but it doesn't have Nevo (which I use a lot) so that's a no go. I guess I will have exercise my patience

08-25-2003, 11:15 PM
Can anyone explain why HP included a SIM slot behind the battery on both the 5450 and the 5550? I have heard the roomers as well about the next version of the 5500, or 5600, being able to use this sim slot for GPRS phone service. Why would HP put the slot into the machine, if they didn't intend on using it? My 5450 had copper connections, I can't see it on my 5550, because of a warranty sticker. Does anyone have any explanation here?

petvas
08-26-2003, 02:55 PM
Can anyone explain why HP included a SIM slot behind the battery on both the 5450 and the 5550? I have heard the roomers as well about the next version of the 5500, or 5600, being able to use this sim slot for GPRS phone service. Why would HP put the slot into the machine, if they didn't intend on using it? My 5450 had copper connections, I can't see it on my 5550, because of a warranty sticker. Does anyone have any explanation here?

It seems that HP had plans originally for a GSM enabled iPaq and they abandoned them after a while...thus the SIM Slot...
I believe that HP will release such a device and I hope they keep the same good old iPAQ design... 8)

ntractv
08-26-2003, 08:45 PM
I also go to the Columbia CompUSA. I think it's one of the better ones in MD. Ever been to the Glen Burnie one? Don't even waste your time. I know that is off topic but oh well.

Where exactly in Columbia? Is it by the Mall?

piperpilot
08-26-2003, 08:51 PM
It's on 175 at the intersection with Snowden River Parkway. It's in the same shopping center as Border's, Dick's, Toys R Us, Target, et al.

biogon
08-27-2003, 04:08 PM
*laugh*

I would've never expected to see so many central MD'ers! Kind of nice.

Yeah, the Columbia one is pretty nice. I bought my old e550g there and after it gave up the ghost I traded it for my 5555. So far it's been pretty good. I have an extended battery on order; the stock battery seems to last a little under 2 hours, yikes.

The screen is brighter and cleaner than the e550g, and it's a LOT faster. Not much more stable though... but that's not HP/Compaq's fault ;)

Back on topic: It seems that even built-in GSM/GPRS (much less GPS) is not really in the picture for the iPaq. I don't particularly mind, though -- I always disliked the idea of using a PDA as a phone. Nice if their addressbooks could auto-sync and the PDA could use the mobile's GPRS over bluetooth for data connectivity, but I like my phones small and my PDAs big. Until they release the Amazing Fold-up Phone consisting of a single flexible OLED screen, I'll stick to two devices. ;)

-jon

naquada
08-27-2003, 05:56 PM
I was in CompUSA this weekend playing around with the floor sample H5555 iPAQ. I got talking to the sales person about the iPAQs in general and she mentioned that HP was already developing the 5600 series iPAQ, which would come with built in GPS :!: Have any of you heard anything else about this new series? If what this person says is true, I am all of a sudden very glad that I didn't buy the 5500 series :D

the new 56xx should be out this year, and it should have gprs...

eustts
08-27-2003, 10:20 PM
I thought the rumour was that HP killed the 5600 line....

naquada
08-27-2003, 10:30 PM
no not according to my sources... i'm 99% sure there is a GPRS enabled 55xx form ipaq due 'real' soon

naquada
08-27-2003, 10:50 PM
also check out.... although i heard from another source

http://www.brighthand.com/article/HP_and_Sprint_Developing_Wireless_iPAQ