View Full Version : National Lampoon's Van Wilder, and the past ...

maximus
08-25-2003, 03:03 AM
Last weekend I was really bored. I decided to watch Van Wilder DVD for the XX times. It is really a hilarious movie, one of my favourite. :way to go:

I always think that my life has been too serious, too hectic, and too future oriented. Sometime, I really wish I lighten up a bit during my early years (the first 20 years of my life). Had more fun, had more leisure .... I really like one of the quote from the Van Wilder movie: "If you kept on thinking about the future, you will forget about the present".

Watching that movie give me an euphoric 'depressed' feeling, reminding me of what I had missed. I dont know, I got depressed easily lately. I hope this is not a mid-life crisis, because I am definitely not at the mid of my life yet :p I travelled a lot, but most of them are cash-oriented. I wish I had more fun in those travels.

So guys, how about you ? Are you happy with what you are right now, or do you wish to go back in time and fix somethings ?

nosmohtac
08-25-2003, 05:34 AM
Definitely. I don't think there are many people who haven't made a few mistakes that they wouldn't like a "do over" on. Hind sight is 20/20, but all in all I'm fine with where I'm at. I know what you mean about lightening up. I could have been a straight A student in high school, but got teased about being smart in 4th grade, and decided to try and keep my smarts to myself, and fit in. I maintained a 90% average or better, but I had a lot of fun. I realized that I wouldn't get a chance to live those years again, and made the most of them. It's always amazed me how priorities can change everything. I remember in college, having a part time job and it seemed like I always had money to party and do everything I wanted at the time. Now, I don't know how I did it with so little money.

Don't get me wrong. The majority of people that frequent this sight are probably smarter than me, and I would love to be smarter, and have more fun. I guess we all can't have everything we want.

BTW I too liked Van Wilder, and almost every other movie like it.
how about: Old School, Animal House (classic), Real Genius (another classic IMO)

PS you said that you wish you had had more fun the first 20 years. Well, I did have a lot of fun those years, and sometimes I wish that I had tried harder to commit myself to study. If I had, I would probably be making twice as much today, and in a job that I would love because it interested me.

maximus
08-25-2003, 07:17 AM
I came from a poor family, I remembered when I was a kid, we hardly have food for tomorrow. Luckily, I have GREAT parents who work really hard to make a better life. By having to pay my own tuition, I guess I dont have the option of slacking off during undergrad years. But my kids should have that option.

What bothers me is ... when I have kids, should I be pushing them to the limit, or should I cut them some slacks, and let them have fun ? Too much fun is not good either, right ? Especially with all the drugs these days. I understand that some balance (fun vs. work) is necessary, but how do you find the perfect balance ?

Old school is cool ! I have not heard about animal house and real genius. Thanks for the info :)

nosmohtac
08-25-2003, 12:37 PM
I came from a poor family, I remembered when I was a kid, we hardly have food for tomorrow. Luckily, I have GREAT parents who work really hard to make a better life. By having to pay my own tuition, I guess I dont have the option of slacking off during undergrad years. But my kids should have that option.

What bothers me is ... when I have kids, should I be pushing them to the limit, or should I cut them some slacks, and let them have fun ? Too much fun is not good either, right ? Especially with all the drugs these days. I understand that some balance (fun vs. work) is necessary, but how do you find the perfect balance ?

Old school is cool ! I have not heard about animal house and real genius. Thanks for the info :)
I can understand you not hearing about animal house and real genius. They're pretty old.

I was very fortunate, I was adopted, and my parents were wonderful. I had a lot of opportunities.
I think there is a balance of fun and work, and certainly a way to make work fun. I remember that my parents had a rule. You had to belong to at least on musical, and one sport activity in school.
Even if they don't excel at either, they can have fun and it keeps you busy. I think the trouble always comes when they have too much idle time.

If you find the perfect balance let me know :) I sometimes wonder how my parents did it. I think times were easier when I was a kid. Maybe not easier, but more simple. I remember when I was in school they said that one day we would work a 4 day work week, and make more to enjoy our leisure time. I don't know about you, but I think we all work way more than the amount of time we are at work. With things like the PPC, laptops, cell phones, etc., we are able to spend more time doing work while we are on the way there or on the way home.

maximus
08-26-2003, 03:29 AM
The perfect balance.... I don't know, but having kids is one major item in life that I totally have zero knowledge about. I always want to be prepared before i am actually doing something. :D

nosmohtac
08-26-2003, 03:46 AM
:lol: I here ya. I remember thinking that I would have kids, when I was in a good job and financially stable, then someone made me realize that I would never be financially stable in my own opinion, because you always strive for more. Looking back now I see that they were right, and I probably would never have experienced the joy (frustration,and confusion :wink: ) of being a parent.

Even if there was a handbook that came with your children, do you think we would read it :lol:

maximus
08-26-2003, 05:00 AM
Eventhough I hate manuals very much .. If there are step-by-step manuals on how to raise good kids, I will read them :D

nosmohtac
08-26-2003, 05:13 AM
All kidding aside, I know several people who are moral and have good judgement and seem to be very good parents, and their kids are nothing of the sort. I don't know what religion you practice, but I often times just pray for knowledge and guidance to make the right decisions regarding raising my children. I don't want to get in to a religious debate, but I believe that our children belong to God, and he has put on us the responsibility to raise them in a Godly manner. I often times fail to have enough patience and over react to things that my children do that are wrong. I too often dwell on what they did wrong, and don't praise them enough for what they did right. I'm a work in progress in regards to parenting, and I think that we all are to some extent. If anybody tells you they have all of the answers be very wary. What works for one child doesn't work for another. Personalities require different handling in regards to discipline and positive reinforcement. I stumble everyday, and I only hope like you that in the end my children are well balanced and able to be independent, make good decisions and think for themselves.

I share you concerns as almost all parents would, and I know that most parents fret over the same concerns day in and day out. Our children our our future, and I hope and pray for the best for them. Mine, yours and everyone elses. :)