View Full Version : Unable to get eBooks on 2215 PPC

Leo the 3rd
08-24-2003, 07:05 PM
Newbie here, but I'm having the worst time getting ebooks to show (transfer/sync) on my iPaq 2215. I have a few of the free eBook's on my PC but am unable to get them onto my iPaq. It's not entirely clear from MS's site or the help files how to transfer these books from my PC to my iPaq. What am I missing?

Thanks for the help.

Former Palm Vx user now converting over to HP iPaq 2215

Jereboam
08-24-2003, 08:36 PM
First, have you activated MS Reader for your device? If you trying to open any ebooks protected with any level of DRM then you will need to do this. It is relatively painless - the MS Reader site will walk you through it - if not let me know and I will... :wink:

Secondly, the only way I know to get ebooks on to your Pocket PC is to manually copy them over...at least that's the way I do it. I keep mine on a storage card - create a folder on the card called My Documents, then a subfolder called Library, and copy the individual .lit files into this folder. If they do not appear initially in MS Reader on your Pocket PC, use the File Explorer to browse to it and open it directly...MS Reader should be associated with the .lit file already and it will come up.

This is a serious deficiency in MS Reader - no easy way to sync your ebooks. One of the reasons I use Mobipocket - the desktop reader has an option to send the ebook to your PDA - and to choose whether it goes to main memory or a storage card. Easy.

If anyone has an elegant way of syncing MS Reader ebooks using perhaps the files option of Activesync, I would be interested in hearing it. Failing that, the above method will get you readin. Make sure you use ClearType... :D

J

dh
08-24-2003, 08:40 PM
Probably the easiest way is to open the explore option in Active Sync and make a directory where you want to put the file. (Being not very imaginative, I put my books in a directory on my CF card called "Books"). Keep the explore window open.

Once you have done that, you can go into "My Computer" on your PC, copy the .lit files and paste them into the directory you made in the Active Sync expore window.

If you happen to have a card reader it's even easier. You can copy the files directly onto your storage card.

One final thing, if you haven't already done so, you need to download the update for MS Reader for your 2215. There is a version for WM2003 on the reader site. Without the update the free books (which have the newest version of the nasty MS DRM) will not open.

(I'm assuming you activated the MS Reader on the Ipaq. It won't work without that either).

Leo the 3rd
08-24-2003, 10:12 PM
Definitely a missed opportunity by MS. You figure the developers would have taken advantage of ActiveSync and move the files from the PC to the PPC. Oh well, I did get the latest version of the reader and have made a directory on my CF card to store the books. Thanks for the info.