View Full Version : pocket IE won't allow direct installations via .cab file?

AndyEich
08-24-2003, 05:10 PM
I hope this isn't too dumb a question, but how can I do a direct install via a .cab file?

Using my Ipaq 2215 with a WiFi card, I've found a number of sites that offer .cab files for download direct to PDA, but when I click on the link in Pocket IE, it attempts to display the binary data, rather than letting me save the file to a folder.

Thus, I can't seem to do any of these direct installs. What am I missing?

Thanks!

PR.
08-26-2003, 11:57 AM
Yup, annoying isn't it :)

The only times I have seen it work is when people supply the Cab files in Zip files therefore you download the Zip, open it and then run the cab file inside...

Stephen Beesley
08-26-2003, 04:27 PM
I know this does not help with the original Pocket IE problem, but out of curiousity I just tried this with Netfront and it works perfectly.

Great piece of software - what PIE should be.....

Goldtee

CTSLICK
08-26-2003, 07:20 PM
Very Odd. I download cabs regularly from one particular website directly to my PPC. It downloads the cab and then I can run it on my PPC. Could this be something with the way the file is made available on the website?

Janak Parekh
08-26-2003, 08:23 PM
CTSLICK has hit the nail on the head. If the webserver doesn't assign a HTTP Content-Type to "application/octet-stream", PIE will stream it down as text. Unfortunately, most web server admins have gotten lazy about content types, because the desktop version of IE doesn't use them. (Very big pet peeve of mine -- every browser except desktop IE requires them for proper operation; the desktop version just uses file extensions. :?)

What you can (should?) do is to either contact the admins and report the trouble you're having, use either a different browser that allows an explicit save, or download the CAB via the desktop, drag it over to the Pocket PC, and tap on it. The latter is probably not what you're looking for, though.

--janak

maximus
08-27-2003, 01:40 AM
It will be really nice if we can do the desktop equivalent of right-click-save-as on PIE.

I was curious, how come there are no substitute for right-click in PIE at all ? I find that the most important feature of the desktop internet explorer is the ability to right click at everything.