View Full Version : spontaneous hard reset w 5555

dave3
08-24-2003, 05:10 PM
I have the 5555 or 5550 whatever the f#*@ You call it. Today I was using it and it spontaneously hard reset! The only thing I had different was the resco audio recorder trial version. I am guessing that I should not reinstall this! Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be, this is the first time it has done this. I am now trying to restore using sprite backup.

also the battery drained to 0 last night again. Sprite was set to do an auto backup if battery reached 20% but obviously this didnt work either.

edit#2 also the date now reads may1 despite the successful sprite restore, wtf!

edit#3 also now the icrap acts very sluggish (In P.I. 4.5) as I am tryin to reenter all the data I lost!

edit#4 also I lost ALL wireless configurations...what a pos this machine is!

gorgoroth
08-24-2003, 06:53 PM
Dave,

This has nothing to do with Ipaq 5550.

The restore cannot reset your lan connection or mailboxes. This is either a Microsoft or a sprite backup problem, but this is working like this since the first PPC 2002 versions.
A backup won't restore any date. This is simple logic: if I restore a backup made 3 month ago, it doesn't mean that I want the date to be set 3 month back. As you have had your hard reset, the date went back to default, and you have to reset it (the date, not the PPC)

The sprite issue is known and you have to download a working patch at their website. How can you have a battery draining to 0 %? You should check this first, I think this is your problem.

Why do you reenter all your appointment? Don't you sync it with outlook on your desktop?

I think this is normal you feel bad because you have had a hard reset. But maybe you have to learn a bit more about your unit, and maybe follow the (smallish) manual so you can set up you PC to automaticaly save your data.

You are well known for your ranting post. Maybe you can make some work on yourself before arguiing always at the machine? Or switch to a palm (sorry, couldn't resist :twisted: )

dave3
08-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Gorg...
I AM sorry I switched from palm as the device was very reliable (sorry couldn't resist). I never encountered a SPONTANEOUS hard reset for no known reason. I wasnt doing anything but working with pocket informant. I guess I am expecting too much from sprite backup. So You are saying that a restore from an August 18th backup (My sprite is patched thanks to info from here btw) wont reset date to August 18th but instead May1?

Regarding my ranting posts...Yes I do rant because I expect things to work! To me an undesired suprise hard reset does not meet my expectations of reliability! I now feel I must backup every night for fear of this happening again. Waiting around for months for patches is not acceptable to me either.

I realize that I must learn more about how to correctly do things with ppc. However, I also realize that sitting around looking at information on pi should be nothing out of the ordinary, and should not cause a crash! If this is user error I would like someone to explain it to me.

The only thing I thought of is perhaps I hit a wrong combonation of buttons to cause the hard reset? I posted to vent my frustrations and to inquire if anyone else has had problems like this while using pi 4.5 or the resco voice recorder installed.

petvas
08-24-2003, 07:32 PM
I understand your frustration...
I am using Pocket PCs since their beginning and I have never experienced an unexpected Hard Reset. I have had many devices (mostly iPaqs) and they were all reliable. I am also using Pocket Informant and everything works great on my H5555. Maybe a resident program caused the Hard Reset. I never liked programs that utilize the Today screen, or fancy Task Managers or Alarm software. I choose carefully my software and I am very happy with it... 8)

gorgoroth
08-24-2003, 09:05 PM
You hard reseted Pocket probably set the date to May 1. Because a hard reset is a full memory loss, you also lose the current time; What I am saying is that a backup program restores files, database, registry, but cannot restore everything like the date. The fact it does'nt restore the WAN settings is a missing feature, but the date should'nt be reset to the time of the backup because you will have to change it anyway, as it will be afew days back. It is better then to have a plain wrong date, making you understand it is not set, than a 2 day off date, that can make you miss an appointment.

Spontaneous hard reset are a rare think also in pocket pc field, and it is usually caused by a poorly programmed app. if you just stick to the big programs, you will not have any problem. PI is not an app that cause Hard reset. You can trust your PPC, it wont hard reset before a looong time now.

Sooner Al
08-24-2003, 10:11 PM
I experienced unannounced spontaneous hard resets with my old iPAQ 3630. No additional software, etc., just the base machine and OS. I believe it was a hardware fault of some sort. Bottom line is that I traded it in, using my CompUSA TAP, for my current 3835.

If you hard reset the device and don't load any additional software does it still do spontaneous hard resets? If so, contact your retailer or HP for a replacement...

dave3
08-24-2003, 11:48 PM
Sooner,
I have only dealt with 2 times that it has done this:
1. Machine was brand new (almost 2 months ago), I had installed the driver for belkin ir keyboard when I first got 5555 (before I knew ppc2003 was not supported). When You tried to change to landscape it would cause total freeze up! I had to hard reset it! (therefore I uninstalled driver and cant use keyboard, am afraid of hard resets.)

2. Today, the only thing I had changed was the resco audio recorder. It stated nothing about ppc2003 one way (compatable) or the other (not compatable). I restored and made sure resco audio was off the machine. I hope it does not do it again, but this time I have auto backup if below 20% battery (last time I guess it wasn't auto but prompt).

ps. I have also noted a few times like right now where it acts strangely. Tonite it powered off right after I entered pin# 3 times in a row. Other times it has been difficult to turn on (need to press button very hard and more than once).

Chris Spera
08-25-2003, 04:05 AM
If what you're describing is accurate, you may have a defective unit. Try taking it back and exchanging it, and see what happens...

If you can't do that, hard reset it, and just try playing with it wihout any other software installed on it at all execpt maybe Resco Audio Recorder. If it is a problem, then it should show up there (without anything else installed) as well. If it does, then its probably the software that's causing the problem.

If you don't see problems, then it was another app causing the problems. If you still have some of the problems, you should also run the Self Test applet in Control Panel. If you still have the power issues with the power button, then return it or give HP a call.

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

dave3
08-25-2003, 10:30 AM
Chris,
If I have everything backed up with sprite software can I simply put the sd card in the new unit and restore, or is there something more to it than I think/hope? I hope I don't have to go thru 3-6 units to find one that doesnt do this (I have heard some people did with the 5455).

ps also it just now failed to charge...had to do a soft reset for the battery light to blink. You ever encounter this anomoly?

dave3
08-29-2003, 01:28 AM
hello all,
it did another spontaneous hard reset again today. :roll:

I tried dealing with hpshopping and tech suport for over an hour for nothing. Their bottom line, its beyond 30 days so foget about it (i.e. we wont return it we wont do any thing but have You send it off for repair for months at some repair depot).

Therefore, I called hp corporate. I will see what they have to say. I will be posting about this and other incidents later.

Gremmie
08-29-2003, 01:38 AM
Their bottom line, its beyond 30 days so foget about it (i.e. we wont return it we wont do any thing but have You send it off for repair for months at some repair depot).

Isn't repairing the device doing something? Anyways, don't worry about repair time, if you go through the posts you'll see that many people are actually suprised by the turn around time. I remember when my Jornada was broke HP did a good job with turn around, especially considering shipping time. But, that was awhile ago; nevertheless, you still see people impressed by turn around once it gets in their hands.

dave3
08-31-2003, 09:51 PM
still waiting for decision on repair or replacement...On another related concern, I now notice like almost 800 files that are not active synced...I decided to combine them but now it says its gonna take about an est. 4 hours to do this. Anyone know whats up with this?

Server
08-31-2003, 10:36 PM
hello all,
it did another spontaneous hard reset again today. :roll:

I tried dealing with hpshopping and tech suport for over an hour for nothing. Their bottom line, its beyond 30 days so foget about it (i.e. we wont return it we wont do any thing but have You send it off for repair for months at some repair depot).

Therefore, I called hp corporate. I will see what they have to say. I will be posting about this and other incidents later.

My 5450 hard reset itself a while back when new but just before
sending it back it seems to have resolved itself.

If you really believe your unit is defective then FORGET the repair and demand
a refund! 30 days is BS. If they refuse and you paid using a credit
card then you are in luck. Ever credit card company has a "CHARGE-
BACK" Department and they will REVERSE your disputed
charge. You only need to make sure the item is in HP's Hands. Tell them
the unit is faulty and you did not pay for a product that needs repairing
just after 30 days. 9 out 10 times HP will not 'repair' your unit. They will
reflash your rom and send it back or worse yet you will end up with a
refurb a.k.a. someone elses nightmare. When dealing with
conglomerates, my rule is simple, Never settle!!

dave3
08-31-2003, 11:48 PM
server, I did keep all the packaging and did use a cc. I will wait to see what hp decides to do and then decide how to respond.

BTW I updated the active sync files....almost 800 files seems like a lot of files but I guess that is normal.

dave3
09-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Server and all,
to update someone from HP did get back to me approx 2 weeks after I called corporate (not the 2 promised days). To make a long story short they do try to placate the angry customer as the case mgr immediately agreed to overnight a replacement unit. Unfortunately the q.c. is so bad that the replacement had probs too

Replacement #1 (an error about wifi not having enough power to turn on despite being fully charged for hours) + a hard to release battery.

Replacement #2 extended battery they sent with the unit felt like it was CEMENTED in place. I called and found out that if the battery is treated hard (read banged around by ups, fed ex etc.) that it can damage it causing it to 'puff up' (hp's description not mine). Therefore I sent this one back too!

Replacement #3, supposed to be personally checked??? ...we will see.

This brings the total # of units to 5 so far
refurb 5455 returned before ten day limit
new 5550 hard reset probs.
new 5550 #2 see above
new 5550 #3 see above
new 5550 #4 ??? to be determined

I feel like I have wasted a lot of time due to poor qc. But I believe they will eventually get it right and now I believe in carepacks also (will buy one soon). Finally when everything actually works as advertised (cisco leap, wlan, no hard resets) I enjoy the 555X and miss only the lack of nevo.