View Full Version : What is the main use for your PPC (games vs business)?

bazza
08-24-2003, 01:31 PM
What is the main use for your PPC?

:drinking:

buckyg
08-24-2003, 02:02 PM
Both, though I'm not sure it's 50/50. It's more for personal stuff (games, music, videos, ebooks) but I use it for work too. Nice to have the task list or email sitting over to the side at work while using the full screen of my work machine to program.

Also use it a lot when I work travel, keeps me entertained on the long flights.

Lately, it's helped me become the unofficial PPC guru at work. They've decided to use iPAQs for various things. They come to me w/ questions and problems.

Sure has made my wife happy that it all hasn't been just an expensive toy.

buckyg

dh
08-24-2003, 02:29 PM
You could have added more options to your poll.
For example, I use mine for about 50/50 business and personal.
I rarely play games, the only one I have liked enough to actually buy is Pocket Slay.
Most of my personal use is reading and music. I also use WiFi to check the news and this site when I get the chance. Sometimes I watch movies as well, but I'm more interested in geting a DVD converted to work perfectly in PocketMVP than in actually watching.

petvas
08-24-2003, 03:23 PM
I find this poll incomplete. There could have been other options also (as others have pointed out already). I use my PPC for Personal Productivity mainly, I use it also for surfing the Internet (Business, Entertainment, News) and for a little gaming. I also use it as a repostiroy for information (I store my DVD Collection, have dictionaries, various files, etc)...

SHoTTa35
08-24-2003, 03:33 PM
i mainly use it for the calendar, email, contacts and internet explorer stuff... but sometimes (maybe once in a while when i take the train) then MP3s come into play. It will be getting more usage tho... starting to work tomorrow and it's bus at 6:30am for me.

ekconrad
08-24-2003, 07:07 PM
I primarily use calendar, task list and contacts, but nothing beats being able to check out my favorite web sites and news & sports while in a waiting room or when in a boring lecture :mrgreen:

netnem
08-25-2003, 01:51 AM
I use mine as a GPS device, movies and news, and some games too. The compact flash GPS was $139 dollars which is WAAAY cheaper than any other color GPS device out there. Why would anyone pay $800 for a color GPS when they can get a pda and color gps for almost half price? Also PDA GPS's are upgradable too.

Check out the prices on the monochrome GPS's:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat03099&type=category

My COLOR gps for 139 does way more than any standalone GPS device.

I also use my PDA as a graphing calculator [I don't even own a ti-83] for college [although i'm thru with college algebra]. It's called Rdcalc.

szamot
08-25-2003, 02:34 AM
naturally a show off, of all the things I can do and have access to that most people did not even thought was possible.

Pat Logsdon
08-25-2003, 04:26 AM
Why would anyone pay $800 for a color GPS when they can get a pda and color gps for almost half price? Also PDA GPS's are upgradable too.
This is something I'm dealing with now as well. We're looking at getting a new truck, and my wife wants a Jeep Liberty. The one thing that she absolutely will not budge on is an in-vehicle GPS system. To the tune of $1850! I told her she could get a brand new HP 2215 with a CF GPS card, Routis, etc. for a fraction of the cost, but no go. She doesn't like the wires. :cry:

To get back on topic, I mostly use mine these days for reading e-books and watching movies. I also use it to keep track of tasks and appointments, and I use Textmaker pretty frequently as well.

maximus
08-25-2003, 04:55 AM
98% entertainment : music, internet, ICQ, SMS, notes, games, viewing photos.
2% business : contacts, appointments, tasks, calendar.

netnem
08-25-2003, 05:50 AM
To the tune of $1850! I told her she could get a brand new HP 2215 with a CF GPS card, Routis, etc. for a fraction of the cost, but no go. She doesn't like the wires.

The WIRES? WHAT wires? My Ipaq 2215 and Deluo CF GPS card as absolutely NO wires whatsoever. The only thing that I could even possibly see someone having a problem with would be the in-car mount [Which can be a airvent mount or windshield suction cup]. But if that is a problem then you can just hold it in your hand. If you are talking about "wires" from an external antennae, I have NEVER used an external antennae and have always had a fix. $1850 dollars is absolutely absurd. You could buy a laptop with a CF Card w/ CF->PCMCIA converter. I tell you what, tell your wife that if she REALLY wants an in car GPS, tell her she is going to have to pay for it. Yea, its harsh, but being so absurdly picky over something so expensive [and non upgradeable] is silly. And besides you can't take it with you on boating/hiking/bicycling/whatever your hobby is.

Try and get your wife to reconsider the PDA/GPS as this is the best solution I have ever seen. [A relative of mine just bought a $400+tax Black and white GPS device...Mine is color + a PDA for only $139 more]

ale2999
08-25-2003, 09:10 AM
98% entertainment : music, internet, ICQ, SMS, notes, games, viewing photos.
2% business : contacts, appointments, tasks, calendar.
I am just like you :)