View Full Version : Sync with 802.11b network

cmcjo
08-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Hi, I have the new 5555 Ipaq and I cannot figure out how to connect to my existing wireless network for syncing Outlook contacts and email, as well as internet browsing. I have a Server running DNS and DHCP for my client PC's.

Is it possible to sync via Wifi? If so, is there a website for configuring the 5555 for wireless connection?

Also, can someone point me to a wireless internet provider in NJ for internet outside of my network? Is this possible? The compusa salesman was clueless.

Thanks

gai-jin
08-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Yes, if you set the connection to use the WORK connection for both network and internet access, it should work just fine. And be sure on your PC under FILE->Connection Settings in activesync. Be sure the box to allow remote sync over tcp/ip or over network is checked.

Steve

Sooner Al
08-24-2003, 12:44 AM
This thread...

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23501

...has a lot of information about ActiveSync over an 802.11b link...

cmcjo
08-24-2003, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the quick replies.

lonesniper
08-24-2003, 04:17 AM
The compusa salesman was clueless.

That does not suprise me. I hate it when they try and BS their way through questions. I like to ask them various questions and then see what the funny responses are.

Recently one Circuit City salesman tried to BS me about setting up a home network, I did not even ask a question about them, he just went off about them as I was looking at the laptops. It is hard to BS someone who has a MCP in Win2K :)

cmcjo
08-24-2003, 02:24 PM
Thanks---My 5555 is up and running perfectly.
I changed the settings to work-work. Configured for DHCP.
I can browse the internet as well as 802.11b sync with the desktop.
And the coolest part, I can now control my HAI weblinkII automation and security server via the Ipaq.

I have the Orinoco 802.11b wireless gateway, when I am located on the other end of the house I get weak to no signal, I will now look for a repeater if one exists.

My next quest is to get access to the Internet from outside my LAN.
Anyone know if Verizon or ATT provides this service for the Ipaq in NJ?

The guy from Compusa told me I probably needed to purchase a wireless card for the 5555 if I wanted access to the internet from outside my LAN. I now know this is not true.

Thanks,

SassKwatch
08-24-2003, 03:11 PM
My next quest is to get access to the Internet from outside my LAN.
Anyone know if Verizon or ATT provides this service for the Ipaq in NJ?

I suspect that's one you'd be best off researching yourself because it seems there are occasionally regional variations of services available even within the same company. So, even if Verizon were to offer the capabilities you're looking for in the D.C. area, it's *possible* those same capabilities may not be offered in your portion of NJ.

There are some companies like Starbucks that have begun offering WiFi access from within their brick & mortar locations....for a price. And if you have any Panera Bread Co outlets in your area, they offer *free* WiFi access in some of their stores. I don't think it's nationwide in every location just yet, but it seems they're working towards that end. Check panera.com for details.

There are likely others, those are just the first 2 that came to mind.