I'm new here. I'm 14, and I want to get a PPC... My main usages will be:

tracking 2 or 3 collections
listening to MP3's
going online at home
playing games
schedule
homework
reading ebooks

After reading tons of reviews, I'm leaning heavily toward a Dell Axim X5 basic 300 mhz. I was thinking about a 1900 series iPAQ, but did not like the 2.5 mm headphone jack thing... What PPC would you recommend for the things I listed above?

Thanks,
Matthew :D

dean_shan
08-22-2003, 09:40 PM
If you are going to be reading a lot of ebooks I would recommend somthing with a scroll wheel that is in a better location, so that rules out the Dell. I'd say grab your self a Toshiba with built in WiFi. But I am a little biased to it.

Jason Dunn
08-22-2003, 09:44 PM
The Dell sounds perfect for your needs - go for it!

qmrq
08-23-2003, 12:21 AM
Dells are kind of bulky *cough brick cough* but you can't find a better deal when you're looking at features vs price. I'm sure you'll be happy with one.

As for the 1910... a 36xx would be better.. the nice things about the 1910 are the size and the wonderful display. It just doesn't have many expansion options to go along with the nice features.

petvas
08-23-2003, 12:54 AM
I would recommend the 2215 if of course you can afford it! The main advantage of the 2215 is that it can very easily accomodate future needs you might have. It is expandable and much better than the Dells..

Steven Cedrone
08-23-2003, 01:41 AM
matthewclan,

Cross-posting is a no-no...

Please don't do it again...

Steven Cedrone
Community Moderator

Jason Dunn
08-23-2003, 04:39 AM
As for the 1910... a 36xx would be better.. the nice things about the 1910 are the size and the wonderful display. It just doesn't have many expansion options to go along with the nice features.

Why on earth are you recommending an obsolete Pocket PC that you can't even buy at retail any more?

famousdavis
08-23-2003, 05:24 AM
I was thinking about a 1900 series iPAQ, but did not like the 2.5 mm headphone jack

If that's your biggest objection to the 1910, don't let it be an issue. I listen to MP3s occasionally on my 1910 -- Radio Shack has a $3 part that converts a 3.5mm plug to a 2.5mm jack. Hardly matters, then, the size of the jack.

Moreover, the size of the 1910 is much less bulky -- it's easy to tote in a shirt or pants pocket.

Because newer iPAQ entry level models are out, I've seen the 1910 for as low as $220 now -- a great price.

And as for upgrading? I know that's a big issue for some people, but unlike a desktop or laptop PC that costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars (new) -- so the upgrade path is a consideration in order to extend the life of the hardware -- a lower-end Pocket PC is easily disposed in favor of a brand-spanking new model. I don't use a wireless PPC and am having plenty of fun learning the features available in my l'il 1910. If and when I sense a need for something the 1910 doesn't offer (faster CPU speed, wireless, GPS, etc.), I'll toss out my 1910 and buy the device that satisfies my needs -- when I have those needs.

It's for this same reason that I'm not tempted at all by the new PPCs with Windows Mobile 2003, nor am I disappointed that HP doesn't offer an upgrade CD for the 1910 -- the WM2003 operating system has little new to offer from a very practical standpoint. By the time Windows Mobile 2004 (or whatever) is released, I'll be ready to toss away my 1910 and get something with more features packed into a device that probably will cost about what I paid for my 1910 when I bought it ($300).

You're 14. Get a $200 PPC and be satisfied with it. If you've got college to save for, then most especially avoid the pricier models. Grow into the PPC world slowly. You've got a long time to work your way up to that $800 PPC with features that you may never need to use.