View Full Version : Sharing dialup WiFi

Hyperluminal
08-22-2003, 07:39 PM
As some of you here may, possibly, remember, I have dialup, which I access over WiFi. My router is an SMC SMC7004AWBR, which supports dialup, obviously. The problem is this: until recently, I've pretty much been the only one in our house to use the WiFi.. everyone else usually connected over a landline. Now however we have an extra phone line, which we're going to use for all of our computers' internet needs. The problem is that the only way I've seen to tell the router to dialup is to go into its config page and click a Connect button. Disconnecting is the same way, except you press a disconnect button. Now, to access this page, you have to be logged on in the router as the administrator. Since I used to be the only one really using the WiFi, I kept myself as the admin, and it wasn't a problem. Now we're going to have everyone in our family logging in through the router, making it impossible to keep one admin, since I don't expect (or want) everyone to ask me to log them in or out.
That means everyone will have to log in. I already have a 10 minute admin timeout, so logging out won't be a problem.. just that everyone will have to log in before connecting (or disconnecting). That's kind of annoying, because it's extra work to go online. So I was wondering, is there any way to get a few admins logged on at once? Or just tell it to connect a different way, outside of the config page? I don't know if you have to have this specific router to answer this, but I know at least one person here does (Pony, I think?). Anyway, I hope there's a way to solve this... :)

David Prahl
08-23-2003, 02:36 AM
Could you get cable or SDSL? I was going to try to share AOL over wi-fi, but it's REALLY easy and fast over cable.

Get broadband! It's worth it!

Hyperluminal
08-23-2003, 12:35 PM
Tell me about it. Unfortunately, we don't seem to have DSL available here yet (at least Verizon's web site says we don't, and since they own the lines, that means no one can offer us service yet, right?). And our driveway's pretty long, which would make it too expensive to get cable installed here.

So unless there's another option, I think I'm stuck with dialup for now... :(

Steven Cedrone
08-23-2003, 02:51 PM
And our driveway's pretty long, which would make it too expensive to get cable installed here.
:(

Your house has never been wired for cable? The cable company wants to charge you to install the cable? There is always satellite... :wink:

Steve

Hyperluminal
08-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Yep, our house has never been wired for cable. And someone around here with a shorter driveway than ours was charged like $1000 to get it installed, so ours may even be a good bit more than that.

I guess satellite is a possibility though. Maybe I'll look into it...