View Full Version : *Another* dead SanDisk SD card!

Dave Beauvais
08-22-2003, 12:05 AM
:evil: AAAAARGH! :evil:

The 256 MB SD card that I received from SanDisk in March as a warranty replacement (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7466) died today! I am so sick of this crap! Nothing shows up in File Explorer or Resco File Explorer on my iPAQ, but this is what one of the folders looks like in the card reader on my PC:

http://www.beauvais1.com/images/ppc/dead_sandisk_sd.gif

Formatting the card reports no errors, but when I try to copy the contents of my backup folder back to the freshly formatted card, I get CRC errors just as I did with the original card that failed. (And yes, I actually have resorted to backing up my SD card to my PC because of situations just like this.)

I cannot say this enough: Do not buy SanDisk products! It took almost two full months (which I can back up with documentation) from the date I requested an RMA to the date the replacement arrived. They'd better no pull that crap again. When they replace this one, it's going straight to eBay (http://www.ebay.com/) for someone else to deal with; I'll use the money to help pay for a Lexar SD card.

--Dave

Pat Logsdon
08-22-2003, 12:21 AM
I'll use the money to help pay for a Lexar SD card.
I would STRONGLY recommend that you stay away from Lexar. They've been buying product from Sandisk recently, and are subject to the same problems.

As far as I know, only SimpleTech and Panasonic cards are unaffected by the "Sandisk Curse". Check out this page (http://freespace.virgin.net/jon.crawford/theproblemlist.htm) for more info.

Dave Beauvais
08-22-2003, 12:38 AM
... They've been buying product from Sandisk recently ... Check out this page (http://freespace.virgin.net/jon.crawford/theproblemlist.htm) for more info.
Thanks for that link. I plan to submit details about the cards I've had fail for inclusion on that list. If SanDisk does what they did the last time, I'll have plenty of time to research what card to get. :?

--Dave

upplepop
08-22-2003, 12:50 AM
I am getting sick of Sandisk as well. I ordered a 1GB CF from Amazon, and it kept crashing my PPC. Amazon send me a new card and I sent my bad one back (kudos for Amazon and their great return policy). Recently, (after using it for 4 months) my replacement CF card corrupted the data much like the screenshot above. This time I contacted Sandisk got an RMA, and just sent my card to them on Monday. The fact that it took you 2 months really worries me. Guess I won't be expecting a replacement any time soon :( I hope my 3rd 1GB CF card works out okay :?

Interestingly enough, I've had a 256MB SD Sandisk card that's been running fine since i got it (~6 months). There was one case where it somehow got renamed to SD card2, which caused all my programs installed on it not to work, but I attributed that to an OS problem.

In any case, I am not ever going to buy another SanDisk card again, no matter how tempting their next rebate is. It just isn't worth it!

maximus
08-22-2003, 01:32 AM
I'll use the money to help pay for a Lexar SD card.
I would STRONGLY recommend that you stay away from Lexar. They've been buying product from Sandisk recently, and are subject to the same problems.

As far as I know, only SimpleTech and Panasonic cards are unaffected by the "Sandisk Curse". Check out this page (http://freespace.virgin.net/jon.crawford/theproblemlist.htm) for more info.

Correct. Let me just add another brand to the 'safe' list : Toshiba. I have been using Toshiba 256 SD for a month now. No problem with axim or digital cameras. Works like a charm.

petvas
08-22-2003, 01:37 AM
I am using a 1GB Sandisk with my Canon Powershot G2 and everything is working great!!!
For my iPaq I have a 256MB Panasonic SD Card. I believe it is the best Memory Card in the world. Very fast and reliable!!!

BTS
08-22-2003, 01:38 AM
I was using a SandDisk SD card for about the last year. Last week it just went dead. Formatting it, using Win XP and my card reader, reports an error. The PPC doesn't even see an SD card in there anymore. Sigh...and they wonder why many of us want to use Sony MDs or iPods for music? It's much cheaper than buying these cards all of the time.

maximus
08-22-2003, 02:26 AM
I was using a SandDisk SD card for about the last year. Last week it just went dead. Formatting it, using Win XP and my card reader, reports an error.

Ah, there you go. Formatting a flash card in a card reader is not recommended by some of the manufacturers (sandisk included). I find the best (and safest) way to format flash cards are using a digital camera. My minolta F300 is doing a superb job formatting SD cards, I once formatted a friend's SD card with CRC problem in it, and voila, the SD card works like new.

Other people from this site mentioned a flash format utility on www.cnetx.com, I have not tried it yet, but it looks like a good application.

davidspalding
08-22-2003, 02:55 AM
Sounds like hype to me. If you format a card in a FAT16 format compatible with Pocket PC, there's no harm done.

Softwinter.com's Storage Tools makes formatting, checking, defragging a snap. Worth a look. But frankly, I've done duplicate formats to my Vikind and Sandisk CF cards on my PC and PPC with no difference noted.

I suspect the "manufacturers" just don't want people making NTFS or unusual FAT32 formats and then tying up tech support lines.

Kati Compton
08-22-2003, 04:11 AM
I've never had trouble with Viking (CF, though), and have found them to be quite price-competitive (though usually with rebate).

Excalliber
08-22-2003, 04:36 AM

Yes, but Lexar's high speed cards are unaffected by this I believe, as Sandisk does not make high speed SD cards, correct? I have their 256 "32X High Speed" SD card. Works perfectly, and is super fast. Advertised as 4.8 Mbps minimum sustained transfer rate.

Sven Johannsen
08-22-2003, 04:36 AM
Other people from this site mentioned a flash format utility on www.cnetx.com, I have not tried it yet, but it looks like a good application.

I liked it untill I got a 2215. Doesn't seem to be compatible with WM2003. Least not on my device.

Jonathon Watkins
11-09-2003, 12:43 AM
The same with me. My Sandisk 256Mb SD card died in the same way - it took 2 month for a replacement. Now recently my 1Gb Cf and 256Mb replacement SD card both died. :evil:

NOT happy with Sandisk!

Pat Logsdon
11-09-2003, 01:17 AM
My Sandisk 256mb died last week, too. They're supposedly sending me another one soon. This the 2nd time I've been bitten by the Sandisk issue. I've had this card since December 2002 (before I knew better) and got a Lexar later (before I knew better).

The Lexar was replaced about a month after I got it with a "Made in Japan" (meaning rebranded Hitachi) card, which has been fine. Hopefully they don't send me another China or Taiwan card - those are the ones that seem to have the issues.

Darius Wey
11-09-2003, 05:28 AM
What about the Sandisk SD I/O WiFi cards - I hope these aren't dying too?!? I was planning on getting one soon.

buckyg
11-09-2003, 05:48 AM
Until the last few days, haven't had any problems with either CF or SD cards. I've got a mix of brands, including a couple of Sandisks.

The one Lexar CF card I have started having problems being recognized on my wife's iPAQ. Until I read this thread, I did not know that some Lexar cards are Sandisk.

I also don't know if it makes any difference that this card is a 4X USB-enabled 256MB card. I didn't buy it for those "extra" features, it was on sale. I thought that those features are more applicable to a digital camera or desktop/laptop and would not effect a PPC. Yes, I should read up on these things, will check out the links in the thread.

JustinGTP
11-09-2003, 09:15 AM
I have a Kensington 256mb SD and they seem really decent! :D I would never go with SanDisk, thanks for the heads up Dave! (But Im sorry its at your inconvenience)

-Justin.

ale2999
11-09-2003, 10:31 AM
I dunno. I have had a scandisk 256 megs, for about 4 months and it works great.

Dave Beauvais
11-09-2003, 06:08 PM
I dunno. I have had a scandisk 256 megs, for about 4 months and it works great.
My first one failed after about six months of flawless operation. One day it just died, corrupting everything on it. I'm not saying it will happen to you, only that it's now happened twice to me with SanDisk SD cards and once with an older SanDisk SmartMedia card in my digital camera. In all cases, they worked perfectly up until the day they died. No warnings, no random missing data, just suddenly corrupted everything.

--Dave

Jonathon Watkins
11-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Yup same here - they just worked fine - till the day they died. :cry:

pocketpcfox
11-10-2003, 02:39 PM

I'm curious: did all those SanDisk/Lexar SD and CF users whose cards suddenly died do an inordinate amount of swapping them between card readers, digital cameras and the like?

Reason: I've never met anyone in the PDA community here whose ever had a hardware problem. I've been using a 128 meg Sandisk CF heavily (games, etc) for at least 26 months without a hitch. Thing is, I almost never took the card out of my PDA.

Any ideas on this?

Pat Logsdon
11-10-2003, 05:17 PM
I'm curious: did all those SanDisk/Lexar SD and CF users whose cards suddenly died do an inordinate amount of swapping them between card readers, digital cameras and the like?
Nope. My Axim is the only thing I have that can read an SD card. The problem is with the SD controller that Sandisk uses. They switched to a new, unstable controller sometime in late 2002, and every Sandisk SD card made in China or Taiwan uses this controller. Cards labelled as "Made in Japan" use a different controller (Hitachi, I believe) that is much more stable.

CF cards don't have this problem because they use a different controller.

Dave Beauvais
11-10-2003, 05:49 PM
No, except for taking the card out to back it up to my PC using a card reader a couple times a week, it always stays in the Pocket PC. I wouldn't call that an "inordinate amount of swapping." ;)

--Dave

PoweriPaq
11-10-2003, 06:06 PM
My 256mb Sandisk is stable for 11 months now, no problem yet. Knock on wood 3 times. I have another sd memory as a backup just incase this one fails.

Sorry to hear your trouble, but my co-worker 128mb CF died on her 3 months ago, made by Sandisk of course.

If I had known all these issues, I would have not bought their memory.

Jonathon Watkins
11-10-2003, 10:10 PM

My SD card never left my Axim. My CF card was used in my Canon S45 maybe one or twice a month when the 256Mb Hitatchi card in there was not big enough. I don't call that heavy swapping. :?

Reason: I've never met anyone in the PDA community here whose ever had a hardware problem

Well, there's us! :lol: :cry:

DimensionZero
11-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Man, that's crazy...

I've got a sandisk CF card in my Canon s20 and it's like 4 years old! Maybe it's just the large capacity cards? Mine's a 64MB card...

A friend of mine just got a 256MB card for her camera.. I'll just wait and see how long that lasts...

sublime
11-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Holy crap, you people have just scared the bejebus out of me!!! Backing up my CF card regularly will be alright, I hope...but I have my backup file ON THE CF CARD! I guess I'll have to backup to the PC more regularly...

Jonathon Watkins
11-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Good plan Sublime. It's a good plan to backup your CF card anyway - regardless of brands - I have now learned to my cost. :?

It USB 2 card readers now so cheap there is no reason not to!

Ripper014
11-27-2003, 08:24 AM
Well you can add my name to the list of victims. My 256mb Sandisk Card crashed and burned on me over the weekend. Along with it my backup and some files that I have collected over the last few years.

Because of that it has forced me to rethink my methodology for backing up. I have now finally found a use for my Ipaq File store. Because of its size I always wondered what it could be used for. Well I now use it for all my important files... such as Code Wallet... Listpro files... etc...

I still backup to my new Lexar 32x SD Card... but I now feel much better that I have my data in two places... what was I thinking.

By the way my card was only 2 months old. I did have some warning though, after transferring a file from my PC to my card reader it failed to read on my HP2210. I then put the card back in the reader, to my surprise it recognized the card. STUPID ME... at that point I should have backed up the files to my PC... but NO... I try and do a check disk on the SD Card... and that is when it all went bad.

Oh well, what is done is done... and I guess I have learned an important lesson. Thanks Sandisk... I would never had learned this lesson if not for your product.

Oh.. I see that Sandisk made huge profits this last quarter... I wonder how they will do in the next 4.

DustyLBottoms
11-27-2003, 06:35 PM

A long, long time ago. I can still remember how, my music used to make me smile. And I knew if I had my wish, I could get a new SD card from SanDisk. And maybe I'd be happy for a while.

But reformatting made me shiver, with each song the card didn't deliver.

Errors on my touch screen.....enough to make my soul scream.

I can't remember if I cried, when I read about the corrupted drive.

Something touched me deep inside.....the day.....my SD died.

Feel free to add your own verses :D

Jonathon Watkins
11-27-2003, 09:47 PM
Very nice DustyLBottoms, very nice. 8)

Not in a songwritting mood at the mo sorry. :?

Jerry Raia
11-27-2003, 11:04 PM
My SanDisk cards are only a few months old. After reading all of this, I'm now doing double backups to my PC. 8O

Dave Beauvais
11-27-2003, 11:10 PM
... A long, long time ago. I can still remember how, my music used to make me smile. ...
:rofl:!! That was great!

absolutVenky
12-03-2003, 10:10 PM
My 256MB Sandisk card died this afternoon. About a year old, worked fine until its demise.

Jonathon Watkins
12-03-2003, 11:00 PM
Join our club. :|

Ripper014
12-04-2003, 02:48 AM
Hey to all those that are using this card. I just started using an app called Storage Tools... so I checked all my cards.. . all of them had errors on them. My microdrive, my Lexar SD Card, and both of my other Sandisk SD Cards. This may not keep the Sandisk Cards from being rendered totally useless.. but at this point I do feel better that at least those errors have been corrected.

ctmagnus
12-04-2003, 03:01 AM
There's also this (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=189919&sid=07b4f198494495db29c207ff5ddcc685#189919) that is supposedly similar to Storage Tools. I haven't tried it yet though and I don't know if it will actually reduce the likelyhood of any cards dying unceremoniously.

maximus
12-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Oh.. I see that Sandisk made huge profits this last quarter... I wonder how they will do in the next 4.

They will make an even bigger profit, I guess. :wink:

sublime
12-04-2003, 12:15 PM
Did anybody try using Flash Format on their cards after it died? I read a review at Handango about a dude who's card died and he used the program and his card was brought back to life. Is it balogne?

Dave Beauvais
12-04-2003, 08:50 PM
Did anybody try using Flash Format on their cards after it died? ...
The first 256 MB SD card that died on me would not format successfully on my Pocket PC or on a Windows desktop using a USB card reader. The incident with the warranty replacement card which prompted me to start this thread seems to have been resolved by reformatting the card three times and copying data back from the last backup I'd made of it. The first format didn't correct the problem and I continued to get CRC errors when writing to it. After the third format, it's been working fine since August. I still don't trust it and I've been making a full backup of it to my notebook's hard drive at least once a week. That way when/if the card spontaneously corrupts its contents, I at least have most of what's on it backed up elsewhere.

(Note: I never bothered to send that card back to SanDisk. After the two-month wait for the first replacement and more than one month to get my camera's SmartMedia card replaced, I got sick of dealing with them. Until the card fails again, I'll just hold onto it.)

So far the 512 MB SanDisk card that I bought (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21483) a couple days ago has been working just fine. It also seems to be significantly faster than any previous SD card I've used. (Of any size.) Mapopolis maps load faster and searching for addresses and generating routes is dramatically faster. I can't be sure, but full-screen video in Media Player also seems to be smoother, but I could be imagining that.

I'm going to continue my backup routine, though. Just in case. :)

ATraveler
05-02-2004, 01:32 AM
My Lexar 256 SD card has died...but only in my e805. In the card reader built in to my PC it is just fine and I can transfer files to and from. In my PPC almost nothing shows up (a few folders and a couple of files only). It reads as having the right amount of used space (about half) but nothing is accessable. This was true even after reformatting in the PC and recopying all the data to the card. Resco File Explorer errors if I try to reformat in the PPC. Anyone have any ideas.

T-Will
05-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Is there any sign that the Sandisk problem has been rectified?

The reason I ask is because I'm planning on buying a 512 MB SD card and there's a good deal going on here (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10352352&adid=17070&sssdmh=dm5.95814&dcaid=17070), but it's a Sandisk card, but there's also a good deal on a Lexar 512 MB here (http://store.yahoo.com/digi4me/le51sedisflm.html).

So does anyone have any input on this issue?

Dave Beauvais
06-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Well, I bought a SanDisk 512 MB SD card around Christmas time for $89 thanks to my brother's Sears employee discount. It's been working perfectly since then, much to my surprise. :) And yes, I realize that by purchasing this card I went against what I said in the root of this thread. :lol: It was just way too good a price to pass up. I do still make a full backup of the card about once a week or so just in case it decides to suddenly crap out on me without warning, but have yet to have a need to use said backup.

shawnc
06-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Hate to go against the grain here but I've have a 128MB card for about 2 years, just sold my 512mb card that I had for one year, and have owned my 1g card for about 6 months now. All Sandisk, not one problem.

I think less than $100 bucks for a 512mb card is a fantastic deal. No doubt due in no small part to the suppossed 2g cards in the pipeline.

Pat Logsdon
06-06-2004, 01:57 AM
Just had my 3rd Sandisk 256 SD card go a few days ago. After two RMA's, I think I'm just going to throw in the towel and buy another brand. :evil:

Steven Cedrone
06-06-2004, 02:01 AM
Just to chime in here: my Sandisk cards are working perfectly! I have three and none have failed! Knock on wood (and still backing up frequently! :wink: )

Steve

dh
06-06-2004, 02:05 AM
I have a 256MB SanDisk SD card that I've used for about eighteen months. In my Axim it had to be reformatted every couple of months. Since Christmas it's been in my daughter's Toshiba and has been fine. I've also used it for transfering files to my Zaurus, agaqin no problems.

Seems to me, the problems are amplified by certain devices, especially the Dell.

Kacey Green
06-06-2004, 06:54 AM
my sandisk 128mb SD has been going strong for nearly a year.

Jerry Raia
06-06-2004, 11:38 PM
My Lexar 256 SD card has died...but only in my e805. In the card reader built in to my PC it is just fine and I can transfer files to and from. In my PPC almost nothing shows up (a few folders and a couple of files only). It reads as having the right amount of used space (about half) but nothing is accessable. This was true even after reformatting in the PC and recopying all the data to the card. Resco File Explorer errors if I try to reformat in the PPC. Anyone have any ideas.

My SanDisk 256 did exactly the same thing in my iPAQ 5555. I didnt trust it so i replaced it with a lexar 256 8O

Janak Parekh
06-18-2004, 04:21 AM
Talk about polarized experiences!

Apart from the device possibly having a factor, I'd consider the possibility that not all Sandisk cards are manufactured identically (i.e., same plant, parts, etc.)

--janak

shawnc
06-19-2004, 02:03 AM
Talk about polarized experiences!

Apart from the device possibly having a factor, I'd consider the possibility that not all Sandisk cards are manufactured identically (i.e., same plant, parts, etc.)

--janak

I'd have to agree Janak. I've had so many sandisk cards (both SD & CF) used over many different devices and not a single problem with any of them.