View Full Version : trying to "explore device" error and a few other questions, newbie help.

ekjl
08-21-2003, 01:24 PM
Hi yes, I'm new to the PPC scene and just bought my very first PPC, an Ipaq 2210.

1) I have a few problems with active sycn. It seems when I try to explore the device with my computer it pops up an error message saying - "Critical communications services have failed to start. Try resetting the mobile device, and then connect again." - I don't know if resetting means soft reset or power it off and back on, but I did both anyways and it didn't solve the problem.

2) Another question involving active sync. In the active sync windows on my desktop, I can never "get connected"(I do get connected but I'll explain the problem). Everytime I go down to File > Get connected . . . , it brings me to the wizard to detect my com ports and usb ports. It finds that they are all available and when I click next, it does the same search again. The only way I can connect is just sit my Ipaq on the cradle and it'll automatically get connected or go to File > Connection settings... (sometimes it'll connect and sometimes not). Are these normal?

3) Does the screen of the Ipaq easily get damaged/scratched by the stylus. I wanted to wait and order a screen protector but I just couldn't wait any longer to play with my new toy.

4) Is it safe to leave the Ipaq in the cradle to charge 24/7 or whenever you're not using it even if it's fully charged?

5) Is there any program that is catered towards college students(ie. schedulers)?

Thanks and I hope to read some response when I come home from work.

rhmorrison
08-21-2003, 02:03 PM
Here some quick answers:
No question asked but certainly NOT NORMAL! No, although many people have diffrent problems with/compaints about ActiveSync you are apparently having very serious problems. Are you hooked direct to a USB port on your computer? Try disconnecting any unessential USB devices for testing purposes. No, but here there are two different camps... One group would rather die then let a stylus touch their touchscrreen without having a screen protector, the other group says "What's a screen protector". I belong to the second group but have only been using my PDA for about 10 months. No, but even here there are two schools of thought. Yes. Search here for some threads on this topic.

Chris Spera
08-21-2003, 02:37 PM
3) Does the screen of the Ipaq easily get damaged/scratched by the stylus. I wanted to wait and order a screen protector but I just couldn't wait any longer to play with my new toy.

4) Is it safe to leave the Ipaq in the cradle to charge 24/7 or whenever you're not using it even if it's fully charged?

Your device's screen can get damaged by continued use of the stylus. I DO recommend using a screen protector. Pocket PC Techs makes WriteRight, the best screen protector available, IMHO.

I leave my 1945, E200 and my cell phone connected to AC power when I am not directly using them. The only thing you're going to have to worry about is your battery getting used to the fully charged level all the time. While today's batteries don't have the memory problems that NiCad batteries do, but they are not perfect. Don't over do it...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Pony99CA
08-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Your device's screen can get damaged by continued use of the stylus. I DO recommend using a screen protector. Pocket PC Techs makes WriteRight, the best screen protector available, IMHO.
I agree with Chris to get a screen protector. However, Pocket PC Techs makes the WriteShields (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/ws.asp), not the WriteRights (http://www.fellowes.com/store/index.cfm?selectProductCategory=222,1,105&pCat=227) (made by Fellowes).

Steve

famousdavis
08-21-2003, 05:40 PM
I can't help with the first few questions, because when I get that same error I just restart both my computer and PPC and the problem goes away. What version of ActiveSync are you using?

My thought is this: it's a good idea to use a screen protector, not so much to avoid the little scratches that might develop, but to safeguard the BIG scratches that would really interfere with your enjoyment of your PPC. I use a screen protector, and although Fellowes (the maker of the screen protector I use) says I should replace my screen protector every 30 days, I've left mine on since I got my device -- five months ago -- because there's no reason to replace it; eg, the screen protector isn't really badly scratched. And I don't keep my PPC sheathed in any type of protective leather case, so it's definitely exposed to "stuff", mostly "stuff" that's in my pocket (where I tote my PPC).

I did replace the screen protector, though, shortly after I applied the first protective film on my PPC. I had put my keys into the same pocket as my PPC, and the screen protector was badly mangled and torn -- but the screen underneath was unscarred! I was very glad that day I had a screen protector to guard against what would have been a very bad scratch on my PPC's screen. Lesson learned: Don't share pocket space with a PPC and any other hard objects.

If you're charger isn't plugged into something that guards against voltage spikes -- like what you'd use for a desktop PC -- then you do risk harming your PPC, especially if you live in a place with lots of thunderstorms. I live in Florida, and I avoid keeping my PPC plugged in to avoid frying my recharger and/or my PPC (since the recharger is just plugged into a wall outlet directly).

5) Is there any program that is catered towards college students(ie. schedulers)?

Do you already use something like Agenda Fusion or Pocket Informant, both of which handle scheduling events on the PPC? If so, is there something you find lacking in these products? If you're not using either of them, why not download a trial version and see if you can adapt their flexible features to your college life situation?

ekjl
08-22-2003, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the responses.

First off I want to say that I solved the problem of not being able to explore the device :clap:. It appears that it was my Zonealarm firewall that was the problem :evil: . I shut it down and it worked. Now I have to configure it to let it pass through without shutting down the entire firewall.

But I still have the problem of connecting with active sync through File > Get connected... I always have to lift the Ipaq off the cradle and fit it back it to get it connected -_-;;

"Are you hooked direct to a USB port on your computer? Try disconnecting any unessential USB devices for testing purposes."

- Yes it's connected through the USB port and I only have one USB port and this is the only device connected to it and every other time.

"Your device's screen can get damaged by continued use of the stylus. I DO recommend using a screen protector. Pocket PC Techs makes WriteRight, the best screen protector available, IMHO."

- I'll get a screen protector, but that won't be until next week and plus shipping probably another week :( Hope the screen will be alright.

"Do you already use something like Agenda Fusion or Pocket Informant, both of which handle scheduling events on the PPC? If so, is there something you find lacking in these products? If you're not using either of them, why not download a trial version and see if you can adapt their flexible features to your college life situation?"

- I haven't tried anything yet. I've yet to install any programs on my PPC. I'll look into Pocket Informant since I keep seeing lots about it. Are there any other useful programs for school?