View Full Version : How do I set the "turn off device if not used for" value longer ?

ajma
08-21-2003, 02:20 AM
Does anybody know how to set the "turn off device if not used for" value longer ? (the time to shut the pocket pc off when on battery power).

The longest I can set it is 5 minutes, but I want to set it to 20+ minutes. Can I edit a registry setting to get this?

Godsongz
08-21-2003, 04:39 AM
Interesting.. I went digging and this is what I found. My battery timeout was set to 5 minutes in START|SETTINGS|SYSTEM|POWER|ADVANCED and a found a reg key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|System|CurrentControlSet|Control|Power|Timeouts|BattSuspendTimeout that was set to 300. Hmm I thought and changed the setting to 240. Now "4 Minutes" was showing in settings and the machine -did- power off after 4 minutes. EUREKA I thought, thats the key! Then I set the registry key for 360, but it still showed at 5 minutes in settings and still powered off the machine after exactly 5 minutes. Hurumph.

ctmagnus
08-21-2003, 05:59 AM
Try setting it to 360 in the registry and do not check to see what's set in the control panel. It may be overriding what you set, merely by opening the interface whose maximum is 300.

maximus
08-21-2003, 07:34 AM
Exactly, when you opened control panel, the value is adjusted immediately, hence overriding the one you set manually on the registry.

Pony99CA
08-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Interesting.. I went digging and this is what I found. My battery timeout was set to 5 minutes in START|SETTINGS|SYSTEM|POWER|ADVANCED and a found a reg key at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|System|CurrentControlSet|Control|Power|Timeouts|BattSuspendTimeout that was set to 300. Hmm I thought and changed the setting to 240. Now "4 Minutes" was showing in settings and the machine -did- power off after 4 minutes. EUREKA I thought, thats the key! Then I set the registry key for 360, but it still showed at 5 minutes in settings and still powered off the machine after exactly 5 minutes. Hurumph.
As others have said, don't go back to the Power settings applet. I suspect your registry change would extend the timeout period, but the drop-down list is hard-coded to only have 1-5 minutes in it.

Microsoft really should have used a combo box, which would have allowed the user to type in any value they wanted, while still including the preferred deraults.

Steve

Godsongz
08-21-2003, 05:40 PM
heheh duh.. :oops:

OK, so I set the reg key back to 360 and didn't go into settings... and it worked. The backlight turned off after 5 minutes (different key) and the 2215 powered off after 6.

So ajma, if you want 20 minutes, set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE|System|CurrentControlSet|Control|Power|Timeouts|BattSuspendTimeout to "1200"

ajma
08-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Anybody try setting this value programmtically?

I'm using http://www.opennetcf.org/registry.asp to change the value of the registry key and I can verify that when I go to the control panel, it's changing the dropdown value from 3min to 5min.
The problem now is that it still turns off after 5 mins instead of 20 minutes (when I run my test, I'm going to the control panel, I just went there once to check if the value was actually being set).