View Full Version : infoSync World Reviews the HP iPAQ 5555

Jason Dunn
08-20-2003, 11:34 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/3967.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/3967.html</a><br /><br /></div>"When Compaq first introduced its iPAQ series, the company aimed squarely for the high-end market with a device which has often been attributed to driving the growth of the entire platform. Following its merger with Hewlett-Packard, the iPAQ brand has survived, as has the original thought behind the iPAQ: delivering a powerful and versatile tool. The iPAQ h5550 is so far the ultimate result of an evolution that has progressed for three years, and boy does it pack a punch."

petvas
08-20-2003, 11:45 PM
I am surprised that they talk about poor battery life...
My H5555 lasts for many hours. The only drwaback I can find is the power drain when WiFi is on. That I can understand it. The removable batteries solve this issue though.
And if someone has the Denmark battery (like me!) then battery life is at least 30% improved!!!
I believe this to be a very shallow review...

Jason Dunn
08-20-2003, 11:56 PM
And if someone has the Denmark battery (like me!) then battery life is at least 30% improved!!!

A Denmark battery? What's that? A special battery for Danish people? :lol:

petvas
08-21-2003, 12:00 AM
No... :D
If you buy the Slim Battery for the 5000 series iPaqs then there are two possibilities: Either you get the Korean Battery or the Denmark one...
The Denmark one is of higher quality and gives at least 30% more life to the iPaq...

mangochutneyman
08-21-2003, 12:33 AM
IMO there are so many other dual wireless, dual expansion options out there like the Mio558 and Loox610. If you don't need to use sleeves, then one of these other options is more attractive...

that_kid
08-21-2003, 01:32 AM
If I turn wifi on my battery gets trashed but still I get about 3-4 hrs out of my 5555 with wifi on. if I just use bluetooth then I can leave it on for a long time > 8 hrs. I also have an extended battery that comes in handy but I usually keep my 5555 in my whitney krusell case so that i can use my sprint card.

ntractv
08-21-2003, 01:44 AM
I'm averaging 8 and half hours on my iPAQ 5555. As much as I can I use the WiFi while using the power cable. But if not, I still get about four hours of use without. Drooling to get the extended battery. Denmark, huh?

deemota
08-21-2003, 01:49 AM
Did anyone notice that the review said it has CIR and Nevo. My h5555 didnt come with that. As far as i know, nobody has it. What's up with that? :soapbox:

jonlien2003
08-21-2003, 03:38 AM
The reviewer said that there is no longer a record button on the left side of the 5555. Can someone verify that.

Thanks.

deemota
08-21-2003, 03:39 AM
There is a record button.

ctmagnus
08-21-2003, 03:43 AM
If you buy the Slim Battery for the 5000 series iPaqs then there are two possibilities: Either you get the Korean Battery or the Denmark one...
The Denmark one is of higher quality and gives at least 30% more life to the iPaq...

Dunno where you got yours from Jason, but mine (ordered fom HandHeldCanada) has the Denmark battery. :rock on dude!: Generally, things like this get distributed to entire nations instead of some parts going to certain regions of a nation and other parts going to other regions, no?

jimski
08-21-2003, 05:52 AM

Guess it's my lucky day (sort of). The battery that came with my 5450 is Korean, but my two spare slim and one extended battery (all purchased from Mobile Planet) all say "Made in Denmark".

Abba Zabba
08-21-2003, 06:26 AM
Did anyone notice that the review said it has CIR and Nevo. My h5555 didnt come with that. As far as i know, nobody has it. What's up with that? :soapbox:

From what I have read about the 555x, it doesn't come with CIR or Nevo. I guess he just made a mistake or maybe he got some sort of special version :?

ricksfiona
08-21-2003, 07:02 AM
I thought the review could've been better. I didn't see any benchmarks comparing it to other PDAs. That would've been nice.

The reference to the weight issue made me :D "promising potential strain during extended one-handed use"... Are they kidding me? What a girlie man :rofl: Yes, it is heavier than other PDAs. We don't need to dramatize the point.

Overal it was a nice, easy review to read. I was thinking today: Voyager or 5555? Decisions decisions...

nice_micael
08-21-2003, 08:16 AM
How do i se if i have the denmark battery?

Marc Zimmermann
08-21-2003, 08:25 AM
The reviewer said that there is no longer a record button on the left side of the 5555. Can someone verify that.
Not true. You press both volume up/down to record a note. This is kinda natural because the volume buttons are exactly at the position of the record button of earlier devices.

Marc Zimmermann
08-21-2003, 08:27 AM
The reference to the weight issue made me :D "promising potential strain during extended one-handed use"... Are they kidding me? What a girlie man :rofl: Yes, it is heavier than other PDAs. We don't need to dramatize the point.
The H5555 weighs 212 grams, the Dell Axim 202 grams, the H3875 about 190 grams. The weight is not that dramatic as the review makes it appear...

Marc Zimmermann
08-21-2003, 08:29 AM
I guess he just made a mistake or maybe he got some sort of special version :?
In the light of the "no record button" mistake, this seems like an error caused by oversight.

Marc Zimmermann
08-21-2003, 08:31 AM
I am surprised that they talk about poor battery life...
My H5555 lasts for many hours.
Yup. After all, the battery life is not poorer that what we know from iPAQ devices since 2000... ;-) It has a considerable drain in standby mode and lasts up to four hours in normal use. And yes, WiFi definitely sucks power like heck. It's a good idea to turn it off if not actively used.

petvas
08-21-2003, 09:51 AM
How do i se if i have the denmark battery?

Look in the back of the Battery. It should read "Product of Denmark"...