View Full Version : The future of Personal Video Players?

rustywallace
08-20-2003, 08:04 PM
So, I am wondering. How well are Personal Video Players going to catch on?

Part of me feels they will be a hit with the younger generation of techies who will sit in the back of the car watching video while mom and dad drive. Part of me wonders what they will be known as. Apple came out with its Newton and was using ads that said it was a PDA, but at the time, nobody had a clue what a PDA was, and it failed.

How well do people know about PVPs - if that is what they will be known as?

So, are these things going to be called PVPs? How well do you think these things are going to catch on? Anybody?

GoldKey
08-21-2003, 01:02 AM
I personally don't think they will catch on. PPC's can do the job and I doubt they can build a PVP much cheaper than a PPC and keep the screen size etc. Using the $199 Dell as a benchmark, how much cheaper could they be? Even at $99, I think the money would be much better put towards a PPC. A month or so ago there was a PVP shown on this site, at $99, but the content was proprietary, so what they lost on selling the device, they made up on selling content. With a PPC, I can watch any DVD that I encode for it for no additional charge.

rustywallace
08-21-2003, 01:18 AM
GoldKey:

Thanks for your thoughts. I wonder how many others feel this way. For all intensive purposes, I can see where you are coming from. If you can already do what you want and everything else (too many things to list) with your PPC, why would you go spend the $500 for something that is a basically a PPC with a huge hard drive.

The $99 PVP makes me wonder a bit though with its proprietary codec. Why do you suppose they are coming out with a new Codec - do you suppose they intend to protect copyrighted material?

GoldKey
08-21-2003, 02:27 AM
The $99 PVP makes me wonder a bit though with its proprietary codec. Why do you suppose they are coming out with a new Codec - do you suppose they intend to protect copyrighted material?

They said it was more efficient than any other Codec, or something like that. But from the way the press release was writen, it definitiely sounded like a mechanism to prevent you from playing anything other than what they sold you.

rustywallace
08-21-2003, 06:26 PM
So what would it take to be considered more efficient. Half the reason I come to this site is to learn about this sort of thing.

:mrgreen: