View Full Version : Windows Media Player will nit open

derfaust
08-20-2003, 01:54 PM
out of nowhere MediaPlayer stopped working...it will look like is about to open...i kinda looks like it is looking for media files...but then it just closes down to the today screen.....

can anybody help?....

derfaust
08-20-2003, 02:05 PM
i am running PPC 2002...and PPC media player 8.5....

thanks for your help

doogald
08-20-2003, 03:39 PM
I have heard that using File Explorer to open the file \windows\welcome.exe can help with this. I found this out after it happened to me before; I had to hard reset and reinstall everything when it happened to me.

AZMark
08-20-2003, 08:38 PM
You've been deleting stuff havent you?

Bad Bad Bad

rustywallace
08-20-2003, 08:47 PM
You've been deleting stuff havent you?

I would have to agree. Have you been deleting files?

derfaust
08-20-2003, 09:29 PM
i habvent been deleting much stuff...only like two programs...a game and a another prog called cekeystroke....neither one very big programs

hmmmm....i dont want to hard reset....that takes hours...i dont have hours.....that sucks!!!....lol

is there a way i can reinstall mdia player?

derfaust
08-20-2003, 09:37 PM
the welcome.exe thing didnt help....thanks....

what programs consist of the media player?.,.....could you zip' em up and email them to me...

is there is way to reinstall Media Player?....

thanks

Steven Cedrone
08-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Were you using a skin that you deleted? You will also get this behavior if the skin that Media Player is supposed to use is not available...

Steve

derfaust
08-20-2003, 10:35 PM
not that i know of....the skins are located in /program files/windows media player/..right?....

there is a default.skn file there...

hmm....
this is wierd... 8O

keep the advice coming...
please. :wink: ...lol
dig

derfaust
08-20-2003, 11:55 PM
where are the skins located...i downloaded a 2002 update from microsoft....

it installed the player to /program files...

when i started it it said that there are no skins present on my device....

hmm....i dont remember deleting anything like that....but... :oops:

how do i fix it?

derfaust
08-21-2003, 12:38 AM
can anybody hook me up with the default skin....i tried one from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/software/palmsize/custom.aspx...

it didnt work....i am wondering if they are the correct skins??...so i was wondering if somebody could help me out a give thier default skin....or tell me how i can force media player to use a new skin....

where can i download other skins.....i remember somewhere seeing skins that are identical to the default skin....just based on silver and other colors....

dig

Steven Cedrone
08-21-2003, 03:17 AM
Try this: skin chooser for media player (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/pocketpc/skinchooser_eula.mspx)...

Steve

derfaust
08-21-2003, 04:00 AM
i already did that....

it wont take the new skin.....same problem.... MP will looklike it is about to start....the screens flashes....then you are back on the today screen....

This problem is SO IRRITATING....remember that scene in Southpark the Movie...where bill gates gets his head blown off?....yep...that would be nice...lol

i love the PPC....but it seems you spend so much time fixing a problem when you do something else on it...install this...that wont work....get that working....something else quits working....ARGHHH!!!!

it is a very stable platform....just as long as you dont sneeze....lol

lol....
keep the info coming....there has got to be a way to fix this.....i have been diggin, diggng, and digging....it seems that everybody that has had this problem has had to hard-reset....NO, NEIN, NON, nope!!!...

i came across this....
http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5546&highlight=windows+media

the entries are wrong?.... thanks for your time

lol...can we figure this out?

derfaust
08-21-2003, 04:53 AM
dag nam it wabbit!!!!

i was doing so much junk to try and get Media Player going....i jacked up something else....lol... :roll:

hmmm....another bummer is that i just reinstalled windows on my PC...i dont have my backup ROM.... :confused totally:

oh well...thanks for all the help.....

lets keep this thread going and see if we cant find a solution for future users... :lol:

well....here goes hours of resetup time...grrr....oh well...

Steven Cedrone
08-21-2003, 05:49 PM
dag nam it wabbit!!!!

i was doing so much junk to try and get Media Player going....i jacked up something else....lol... :roll:

hmmm....another bummer is that i just reinstalled windows on my PC...i dont have my backup ROM.... :confused totally:

oh well...thanks for all the help.....

lets keep this thread going and see if we cant find a solution for future users... :lol:

well....here goes hours of resetup time...grrr....oh well...

Sorry, I feel for ya' man...

Good luck...

Steve