View Full Version : How do I upgrade and keep all my cherished data?

Martin I Pettinger
08-20-2003, 09:59 AM
-
Hi

I am thinking about selling my iPAQ 3850 and getting an iPAQ 2210. Question is how do I migrate my data - I have loads of stuff in eWallet, lots of bank account info in MasterSoft Money, and all my Pocket Informant stuff. Now I do not use Outlook to sync data as I sync to a corporate laptop and we use Lotus Notes - plus using Outlook is forbidden. However can I install Outlook and disable the e-mail Client - i.e only use it for the Contacts, Calendar and Tasks? Sorry a lot of questions - but lots of folk must have had this issue when upgrading from 3800 series or 3900 series to the new iPAQ's

Martin

Talldog
08-20-2003, 11:56 AM
Data files like your eWallet stuff should be in or under the My Documents folder. If you have AS set to sync files, all that stuff should be in the pocket_pc\My Documents folder on your PC. PIM data could be done the way you suggested, or if you already have a sync solution for Lotus Notes, you could sync everything there.

prismejon
08-20-2003, 04:49 PM
Hi Martin!

You could get one of the many backup software products. Pocket Backup Plus (http://www.spritesoftware.com/products/pocket_backup_plus.html) has got good reviews. Or you could search www.handango.com for "backup".

Good luck!

Martin I Pettinger
08-20-2003, 05:02 PM
-
Is Pocket Backup Plus an option. I.e can I back up all my data which is for a 2002 OS machine and then insert the CF card into a 2003 OS machine. I know I can do this for documents but I'm thinking more in terms of programs. I fear I'll need to reinstall them all using ActiveSync - and that means digging out registration codes which may be long lost.
-

prismejon
08-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Programs would probably need to be reinstalled on the new OS anyway. I don't think you can just copy the files (even with backup software) - registry entries etc. would also need to be made on your new PocketPC to make the applications work.

Talldog
08-20-2003, 06:35 PM
-
Is Pocket Backup Plus an option.
Your programs definitely have to be reinstalled. And while Pocket Backup can back up your PIM databases, I don't think you could restore them to a WM2003 device, because the format of the PIM databases has changed.

PetiteFlower
08-20-2003, 06:41 PM
I think the safest bet would be to install outlook, sync all your contacts/calender/tasks, then install the new device and sync it to those databases. Once you're sure that was successful, you can go ahead and uninstall Outlook. You will have to install all programs from scratch, and you might want to double check and make sure that your most important programs are PPC 2003 compatible before you make the switch.

prismejon
08-20-2003, 06:46 PM
I agree with PetiteFlower.

However can I install Outlook and disable the e-mail Client
The e-mail client needs information about your mail server etc., so it won't try to get mail before you create an e-mail account. This would allow you to only use contacts, calendar and tasks without using the e-mail part of Outlook.