View Full Version : HP2200: any word on a thumb keyboard?

JohnJohn
08-20-2003, 05:00 AM
Where are the 2200 series thumb keyboards? Any one have any news?

lonesniper
08-20-2003, 08:21 PM
Here's a copy of an email I wrote to Jason Dunn about the HP 2200 missing a thumb keyboard. You can see in the email I got replies from HP and Belkin, but not Jason :( .Guess it is just you and me that want a thumb keyboard for the HP 2200. I have posted in the forum asking for info myself but no one responded.

Hi Jason.
Even though it has got great reviews (and I plan to buy one) I do not think the HP ipaq 2200 is perfect..but it could be. All it needs is a mini thumb keyboard.
Amazing as it seems neither HP, Belkin or Targus (their keyboards look ugly anyway) are selling a mini thumb keyboard for the new 2200's at the moment. I have emailed HP and Belkin about any future plans and these are the (quick) replies I got;

Thank you for your inquiry, Unfortunately, Belkin does not have any plans to manufacture a SnapNType keyboard for the iPAQ 2200 series.
Cathy Beck [[email protected]]

Dear Colin McCarthy:
Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard.
At this time, the only keyboard available for the iPAQ H2200 series is
the foldable keyboard, part number FA118A. Hewlett-Packard is always
looking to improve and expand our product line; however, as a
Hewlett-Packard representative, I am unable to provide information on
products that may or may not be under development. I apologize for any
inconvenience.
For more information on the iPAQ H2200 series and available accessories,
please log on at:
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/eng/prodserv/handheld.html

Carrie Johnson - Presales Support [[email protected]]

As it has Bluetooth having a mini thumb keyboard would make it a GREAT mobile email and IM device. I really wanna have a mini thumb keyboard so I can update my little blog while on the bus or train. And that is not easy with a fold out keyboard.

So I could really use your help and the help of all the PPCThoughts readers in getting a thumb keyboard produced. Do you have any inside scoop on one being made? Do you feel that it is missing a thumb keyboard too??? Could this be a little story on the front page???
I have posted in the forum asking for information about a mini keyboard, but no one has responded to me.

Anyway thanks for your time.
Colin McCarthy

Last week I got a refurbished HP folding keyboard. Great at $42 including shipping. All I need now is that darn HP 2215 :D Just waiting for a good deal to come my way.

Kati Compton
08-21-2003, 04:19 PM
Here's a copy of an email I wrote to Jason Dunn about the HP 2200 missing a thumb keyboard. You can see in the email I got replies from HP and Belkin, but not Jason :(
Jason gets a LOT of mail. Perhaps he needs more time, or felt that there wasn't much he could do about it.

lonesniper
08-22-2003, 01:34 AM
I am not knocking Jason for not replying to me. I would rather he update us with great PPC news than email me anyway :-) I just wish someone "more powerful" would shout out "HEY WHERE IS A THUMB KEYBOARD FOR THE HP2215!!"

Wingnut
08-22-2003, 05:26 PM
You're not alone, I want one too! I might even be able to use Messenger if I had one...

AndyD
08-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Why wouldn't they make one though? Do all the other series have em?

lonesniper
08-22-2003, 10:36 PM
I have researched this and all the other versions have Mini Thumb Keyboards. Either from HP, Targus or Belkin.

We need more people to email/call HPand Belkin (not Targus their keyboards look ugly to me) and get them to make one. We need more people to repond to this thread. The more replies it has the more people will look at it :D
We need this as a FRONT PAGE NEWS story!!! I can see the headline "Shock Horror - Best new PPC does not have Thumb board accessory - Read it to believe it".

Paula
08-23-2003, 04:27 AM
The reason I have not purchased a 2215 yet is because I want/need a thumboard. I am now waiting to see if the h43xx series will have a built-in thumboard or a foldout keyboard. I am hoping for the former, because the later will make the unit too bulky and cumbersome.

Cheers
Paula

AndyD
08-23-2003, 04:35 AM
I was actually thinking of waiting as well but I'm not looking to add a weight to the pda for something I will rarely use. I rather have something I can attach.

Paula
08-23-2003, 04:55 AM
AndyD,
I am weakening in my resolve to wait. I just read about the DEMOmobile show that is coming up In La Jolla Ca Sept 17-19 and it looks like HP will be showing-off its new PPCs there. I'm not sure I can wait that long. :?

Cheers
Paula

AndyD
08-23-2003, 03:51 PM
heh If they do end up showing newer PPCs, it will probably be the 4000 series. Having a attached keyboard sounds a little too bulky to me. I would wait it out though :)

Paula
08-23-2003, 11:02 PM
That is what I'm thinking as well AndyD. The unit is going to be brick-like, unless you can detach the keyboard from the actual unit itself. You can see I'm talking myself out of waiting for the 43xx. :D

Cheers
Paula

JohnJohn
08-24-2003, 07:10 AM
Some hardware manufacturer is missing the boat here. What about a universal Bluetooth thumb board? It could attach using some type of universal case, sleeve, Velcro, super-glue, chewing gum... Sounds cheesy, but someone could make it nice. :) What do you’ all think of that?

alkandery75
08-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Is there any way to have this Keyboard for h2215:
http://hpshopping.speedera.net/www.shopping.hp.com/shopping/images/products/312391_400.jpg

Best regards,,,

JohnJohn
08-24-2003, 07:47 AM
With a sawzall, and some superglue. :) The connector is about 3/4" off.