View Full Version : The file called " ~ "

David Prahl
08-20-2003, 03:33 AM
For years, I've seen files all over my PCs with just a tilde (~) for a filename. I always assumed it was Windows related. But I'm beginning to think otherwise.

A few weeks ago I read a comment on an abandoned message board that said that these files contained harvested e-mail addresses. Well, THAT got the nerd juices going! :D

Try opening up one of those files using Wordpad! You'll find MANY of your addresses, organized by user, etc. :evil:

They're difficult to read, and Windows Find can't find them (looking for "~" or "~.*"). :?:

Does anyone know what this ugly little file's story is? Know any tricks to search for them?

I've found them right under the root and in other major folders.

maximus
08-20-2003, 05:06 AM
Some of those ~ files are temporary files. I think.

p.s. So you are no longer supernerd_dave ?

Kati Compton
08-22-2003, 04:03 AM
I split the topic. SuperNerd_Dave's title and name change can be discussed here:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16954&highlight=

davidspalding
08-22-2003, 04:16 AM
~*.tmp files have been in Windows since dirt was new. Nothing unusual about them.

But your description seems to indicate dingleberries from a specific application or Trojan Horse you may have run (or may still be running).

Suggest you download Ad-Aware or Spybot Search and Destroy and see if they find anything questionable on your system. ;)

Kati Compton
08-22-2003, 04:26 AM
Also make sure you're not hiding extensions of known file types (Tools > Folder Options > View tab from an explorer window). The files may actually have an extension and you're not seeing it.