View Full Version : Bluetooth, what all can be done with it?

derfaust
08-20-2003, 01:44 AM
hi...i use a SX-56 it is a PPC phone edition. It is basically the same device as the O2 XDA manufactured by HTC. within the year, they are supposed to release the XDA II. from the specs, it looks great!!...WM 2003 PE, 300-400Mhz, 64 Mb RAM, 64k color, SDIO slot, integrated Bluetooth(this is cool), no external antenna, etc...

OK... i have done some reading about bluetooth and know a little about it...

i was wondering what all you bluetooth cats do with your bluetooth enabled PPCs..

is it better than Wi-Fi 802.11?....can you search the internet with the bluetooth connection?.... can you sync with bluetooth?.... what all can it do?..... what is it's range?(i found different numbers 10-50ft?), which has better range Wi-Fi or bluetooth?....questions, questions, questions....lol

who do you use it?..... i am looking for answers from people who use bluetooth for everyday stuff....

i appreciate your time....and look forward to some conversation....

dig

SHoTTa35
08-20-2003, 04:05 AM
using bluetooth now to stream radio broadcasts to my pocket PC.

Ok, first things first... obviously it can get online. Bluetooth isn't a competition for wi-fi. Bluetooth is basically cable replacement. The cable from your mouse, keyboard, and printer are replaced by Bluetooth. I use it with my cell phone (see sig) to get online anywhere i have a cell signal (GPRS) While with Wi-Fi you have to find a hotspot. So in a way it does have longer range than wi-fi but not really.

The typical range of most devices is 10Ms (Like i said, cable replacement, your keyboard wont be that far from your PC) Some devices (Belkin FT8001) are 100M which is what i use now with my pocket PC to connect while home.

You can do stuff with bluetooth based off what profiles the device supports (check here for more info http://www.palowireless.com/infotooth/tutorial/profiles.asp ) So Pocket PCs with Bluetooth can sync wirelessly. Can browse wirelessly.

When thinking of bluetooth (even tho most would rather i not say it like this) Think of all the cables on your desk now and that you'd use during regular to set up devices (speakers, mouses, keyboards, and all others) Well bluetooth replaces those (and for ethernet, well CAT-5 cable as well)

Hopefully that helped some.

freitasm
08-20-2003, 04:20 AM
I use Bluetooth for quite a few things:

- connect my H3970 to the internet via Nokia 3650
- send SMS from my H3970 via Nokia 3650
- synchronise my H3970 to my desktop
- share the cable modem connection to my H3970
- share the cable modem connection to my laptop
- share the cable modem conneciton to my Nokia 3650 (yes you can browse on that phone!)
- transfer files between my laptop and desktop
- synchronise my 3650 to my desktop
- connect a headset to my 3650
- connect a headset to my desktop
- print to a laserjet with a Bluetooth printer adapter (from the Pocket PC as well!)

Things I've reviewed (for Geekzone) but not using now

- Bluetooth LAN Access point
- Parrot car kit handsfree

Things I'm waiting Chrysler to call me and tell it has arrived (ordered a few weeks ago):

- Chrysler U-Connect handsfree kit for my PT Cruiser

Yep, I'm not listing here things I'm expecting to see in the next six months, because I'd have to kill you :D

derfaust
08-20-2003, 06:55 AM
wow!!....thanks for the great replies....

please keep em coming...

can you use Bluetooth to print from a PPC through a bluetooth enabled computer?....does the printer have to be bluetooth enabled?...or can the computer act as a go-through?

i dig it replaces wires..... does it form a network?...does it speak TCP/IP?...for example....would Bluetooth enabled PPCs be able to connect to each other and be able to play certain wireless multiplayer PPC games? does the game have to specifically support bluetooth or Wi-Fi?....kind of like things that only work with IPX and not TCP/IP and vice verca.....does it replace a network?...like does activesync(or whatever one uses to sync) use bluetooth connections?...

would it act the same if i wanted to connect to a remote PC with some sort of PC control program?....

man i appreciate all the information ....and thanks for your time..