View Full Version : Looking for thinnest, smallest case for Axim

QYV
08-19-2003, 06:39 PM
I have been carrying my Axim "naked" (no case, just a screen protector) since I got it in March. Like my old Palm m100 and iPAQ 3600, it goes in the hip pocket of my pants, but both of those PDAs had flip covers*, so I was never worried about carrying them that way. So far it's worked great for the Axim, but I'm always a little nervous about something happening to it. At the same time, the Axim is pretty friggin' big for the typical jeans pocket, so I am really averse to adding a millimeter more than I have to when it comes to total size.

The ideal case, I think, would be like the one that the iPAQ 3600 came with out of the box - a simple leather slipcase that was very thin and didn't add much to the size of the device. Or, if some case manfacturer that I haven't found yet actually makes a flip cover like the m100's (which is now three years old...case companies get a clue already!), that would be even better - the key is having two hinges so that the cover flips over and rests flush against the back of the device when you're doing something with the screen. This is one of two strikes against an otherwise outstanding solution: the Cover-Up cover sold by Pocket Solutions. The other strike is that on occasion I need to be able to have a WiFi CF card protruding from the CompactFlash slot on the Axim and have the case not interfere in any way.

And, as if I haven't been picky enough, I sync my device dozens of times per day at work since I'm always coming in and out of my office. I need a case that either allows me to sync via cradle with the case on, or else is designed to be removed with great ease. The Rhinoskin/Proporta/etc aluminum cases, which otherwise would be very interesting to me, fail this test

Needless to say, things that I don't want are extra slots to hold anything (even credit cards) and belt clips (shudder). The smallest, most minimal case possible is the goal, since the Axim by itself is a relatively tight fit in my pocket.

Now that I've laid out my stringent requirements :wink: , am I doomed to disappointment? Does such a case exist?

* - I bought the HP-branded clear cover for the iPAQ. Worked great.

Pat Logsdon
08-19-2003, 06:51 PM
I think the Covertec case (http://www.pocketgoddess.com/reviews/pocketpc/20030320_1600_ctw_axim.htm) is the only one that allows the Axim to sync in the cradle. It's not very pretty, but it looks like it would do the job...

drop
08-19-2003, 08:26 PM
Try this site Axim Cases (http://www.aximcases.com). You can check them out yourself.

I have a Sena Case. It comes with extra slots. I see these as extra padding for the screen.

I hardly ever need to take the case off. I have third party travel sync cable so I can still connect with PCs while my Axim is still in the case. Or I sync wirelessly. If I have to use the cradle, it is, after all, a cool cradle :wink: , the case can slip off pretty easily.