View Full Version : ActiveSync Issues

isilver
08-18-2003, 01:10 PM
I connect my pocket PC to my USB craddle on a daily basis. I have several connection issues with not being able to sync up when first connect to having it disconnect after about 30 minutes of non-usage. Why!!!!. I don't know.

But there is something strange that I noticed. I still am able to copy infomration from my computer. It is still connect just not syncing up. Does anyone know why this is?

peterawest
08-18-2003, 01:28 PM
Are you running any software that is designed to protect your computer from outside attacks?

I run McAfee SecurityCenter, and the Personal Firewall service often cause just what you described. Basically, for me it came down to the fact that ActiveSync was loading before the Firewall software allowed for a connection. So, the services that ActiveSync used to connect properly to my PPC would fail. Even so, I still could Explore the PPC, but the Syncing would fail.

Once I figured this out, I found that I could simply click on the ActiveSync shortcut again after the computer was completely up and running. It would properly load everything, and ActiveSync works fine now.

It's not a perfect solution, since I have to go through that process each time I restart the computer. However, if I just log out, something keeps running in the background, so the next time I login everything still works. It's only when I restart the computer that this problem comes up.

So, for you, just try loading ActiveSync right now and then reconnect the PPC and see if the problem goes away.

isilver
08-18-2003, 01:48 PM
At the risk of being attacked now. NO I do not use any virus protection software. I do use a firewall but it's the one built into Windows XP.

This issue can happen at any time. Since I almost never restart my system it seems to be a different issue because this does not only occur during startup.

Normally to fix the problem I have to take the pocket PC out of the Cradle. Close Active sync on both the Pocket PC and the computer. Re-open it on the computer and then reconnect the PPC to the cradle.

The connection is back but for how long. I do not know.