View Full Version : Which wireless standard?

Gohan
08-17-2003, 04:19 PM
Sorry if this has been asked a million times before. But I’m a total n00b when it comes to PDA’s.

Anyway I have ordered an X5 and would like to use it to browse the net. I have a broadband connection spilt 4 ways via a router so I don’t wish to go wireless all round. So what’s the cheapest and easiest way to get the X5 on the net? I assume I need some sort of CF Wi-Fi / bluetooth card and an access point of some sort?

Cheers.

AppleMac
08-17-2003, 05:06 PM
The best wireless standard to pick would be WiFi, since it has a better range and is faster and more secure than bluetooth.
You will need a WiFi router and a WiFi CF card. Look around for cheap ones, and then do a quick search of the forum to find the instructions for setting the thing up.

Sven Johannsen
08-17-2003, 05:29 PM
Actually, if you already have a router, all you need is an Access Point, if you go the WiFi route. Unfortunately, you will probably find that a single function AP will cost you almost as much as a combo AP/Router/Switch, which can replce the router you already have. In either case, you will need some CF WiFi card for the Axim.

You also have the option of getting a WiFi USB dongle for one of your machines, and setting it up for Internet Connection Sharing. Still need the CF WiFi card for the Axim. This is a bit more involved to get set up and requires that machine to be on for the Axim to have access. Isn't really the best solution in your case. Works fairly well if you only had one PC with a persistant internet connection.

I'd personnally stay away from BT in your situation. While BT APs exist they are still a bit pricey, at least compared to their WiFi brethren. You could go with a BT Dongle and BT CF card, but they can be aggravating to get set up. I wouldn't recommend BT unless your PPC had BT built in, like my 2215. That allows a measure of convinience, it's always there, that offsets the irritations.

My best advice is don't scrimp on the parts you buy. You kind of get what you pay for. You'll get easier setup with clear instructions on the AP, and better drivers and lower power consumption on the CF card if you don't go bargain basement. That's just MHO.

I have had good luck with Linksys combo boxes and APs and my Symbol WiFi. I'd recommend the Socket WiFi though, as they seem to be more forthcomming with driver updates (which work on the Symbol card, BTW)

Gohan
08-17-2003, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the advise. So If I’m correct I could get this (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=45023) to replace my existing wired router and one of these (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=42479) for the X5? And that would be all the kit I need?

Willmonwah
08-17-2003, 11:15 PM
yeah.