View Full Version : Dell Axim vs HP1945

newmd
08-16-2003, 09:43 PM
I am new to the pocket pc idea. I've had my Palm Vx for many years, but want to move into the new age! I've been reading the recent messages on both the Axim and HP and I'm just as confused as ever. The only add on program that I think I want on the PPC is GPS. Important factors to me are speed, slim design, and long battery life. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance... md

GoldKey
08-16-2003, 10:44 PM
Well, how important is each to you? This ipaq will give you the slim design, but the Dell will give you the battery power. There is a + and - to each.

mv
08-17-2003, 03:26 AM
with the iPAQ you can also use bluetooth GPS.

AppleMac
08-17-2003, 12:37 PM
-The HP is cheaper
-233mhz
-MUCH smaller, lighter and thinner
-More functional D-Pad
-Smaller battery
-Bluetooth built in
-Better screen
-Windows Mobile 2003

-The Axim has better battery life
-Faster processor (300mhz or 400mhz)
-Dual Expansion (CompactFlash slot as well as SD/MMC/SDIO)
And thats about all i can think of :|

Bottom line is, if you want the newest and coolest technology (dual expansion, 400mhz processor) go for the Axim. If you want a tiny, slim, cheap PocketPC with its fair share of good features, go for the 1945.

If you want the best, buy an HP iPAQ 2210. It combines pretty much all the Axim's features into something a little wider and taller than a 1945 (but a fair amount thicker...)

PetiteFlower
08-18-2003, 03:08 AM
Better screen on 1945? I guess if you're into yellow it is.

Axim also has more memory and is a lot less money, which can make a difference if you're going to be also dropping a bundle on a GPS. And you can get a CF GPS for it as well, with the 1945, bluetooth would be your only option.

And unless something odd happened in the last 10 days while I was on vacation, all Axims are now shipping with WM 2003 are they not?

Excalliber
08-18-2003, 06:36 AM
The Axim basic, a faster processor? I don't think so. First, the 194x has a 266 Mhz Samsung which has a slightly faster bus than the Axim (33 Mhz faster). Not only that, but video has been comparable to the h221x, so the Axim is not faster, especially not the basic. Possibly equal for the advanced, however. The 194x has SDIO as well (which the Axim does not), so your expansion options are hardly limited. Add to that some of the rarer bluetooth profiles, and it's a solid choice.

About the CF GPS, yes, it is slightly cheaper, but then you will restrict yourself to a PPC with a CF slot for your next device. The CF GPS also drains power direct from the device, so that's not a plus. And you have to have an unwieldly boxy lump on top of your device. With bluetooth, even if there is nothing but SDIO you can still use your GPS system, which you'll want to last since it's not cheap. In addition, you can place the receiver seperate from the PPC, so the screen can be out of the sun or glare, and the antenna can be in a position where the signal is the strongest.

Before you purchase, you should go and hold them both. The Axim has been called a brick (although it's not really huge, just slightly larger than some), mainly due to the styling. Make sure you'll be comftorable using it. If you think it looks bad (for your tastes), then that should take a major part in your decision. What good is a PDA if you're not comftorable using it?

If it's a choice between the Axim and an HP, don't get the Dell Basic. The extra 100-125 dollars (depending on whether you choose the HP or Dell, respectively) are well worth it.

PetiteFlower
08-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Having only SDIO and no CF slot DOES limit your expansion options since there are very few SDIO peripherals available. Where's that fabled SD wifi card? And how much will it cost when it's finally released? I don't think there are any SD GPS devices either.

You CAN still use bluetooth with an axim, you just need to get a card for it, which doesn't cost a whole honkin lot right now. But a CF GPS isn't a bad option; I haven't researched but I bet that some of them have their own battery or plug into your car, saving your Axim battery. But even if they don't, it's an AXIM, battery drain is hardly a problem! A 1945 on the other hand......

William57
08-18-2003, 12:39 PM
I have an AXIM Advanced that I'm very happy with. Its an all around nice design (in my opinion.) The cradle looks very stylish and the battery life is far better than the HP 1945 and 2215. This is very important to me. The screens are about the same throughout. Besides after you put on screen overlays, the make everything look a bit washed out anyway. HP battery life is about 4 hrs and DELL is about 5.5 - 6. The DELL weighs almost 2 ounces more because of a bigger battery. However, I do like the DELL a bit better because you can purchase a battery that will last approx 12 hours at the cost of much more weight of course.

I'm not too biased toward either its just for what I was looking for, the DELL gave me more features for less money. Also, I live in California and DELL is in Texas so I didnt have to pay sales tax or shipping... Believe it or not the AXIM got to me within 2 days from my order date :) DELL also has an awesome sale on memory cards.

I've said too much :P

maximus
08-19-2003, 03:01 AM
I am new to the pocket pc idea. I've had my Palm Vx for many years, but want to move into the new age! I've been reading the recent messages on both the Axim and HP and I'm just as confused as ever. The only add on program that I think I want on the PPC is GPS. Important factors to me are speed, slim design, and long battery life. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance... md

If you want CF GPS and long battery life, axim it is.

No CF slot on 1945. Axim has 1400 and 3400 mAH batteries, compare that to the miniscule battery installed on the 1945. Also as Petite mentioned, no SDIO GPS out there yet.

delfuhd
08-19-2003, 09:48 PM
Is it just me or can't you get a bluetooth GPS reciever? I personally think that even though the Axim is more ready to use peripherals (It has a CF slot for various CF devices), the fact that the h1900 is so small when you don't need a cf device. Also that for the most part if you have a cf device you can find a bluetooth or SDIO one, which can be used with the 1945. Granted finding bluetooth and SDIO devices in comparison to CF is a little more hassle, it's still more worth it. In my opinion, because again if you're going to a meeting where you don't need any programs but say Notes and Calender, which would you rather have? Slim and light 1945? Or a larger Axim?

Nausicaa
08-22-2003, 04:53 AM
Yes, but you're comparing a small device (AXIM) to a very small device (HP1945). I mean, they are both tiny computers. I have a WM2003 AXIM Basic. I can honestly say that so far, this thing has been a very fast and worthwhile machine. Plus, it only cost $199. Yes, I think the 1945 is much more attractive visually, but at this stage of the game in Pocket PC and wireless technology, I am waiting to spend the larger amount of money on the really high end device that we are likely to see in a few years time. Right now, they are all pretty much the same.