View Full Version : Please recommend a mail client (POP3)

absolutVenky
08-16-2003, 06:53 PM
I need a POP3 mail client for my HP2215. I've tried using "Inbox" but it doesn't work very well - mail that I delete is only occasionally deleted from the POP3 server, even when I'm connected. So every now and then the client will fetch all the "deleted" mail and flood my inbox with stuff I thought I had deleted.

Can anybody recommend a better client? HTML support will be nice but not essential.

Thanks!

ctmagnus
08-16-2003, 07:54 PM
There's nPop (http://www.nakka.com/soft/npop/index_eng.html) and WebIS Mail (http://www.pocketinformant.com/Mail.php), although I don't believe either allow deletion from the (POP) server. Also, nPop doesn't function wirth HTML mail afaik, and WebIS Mail has a tendency to crash Pocket PC 2003 devices but works fine on Pocket PC 2002 devices. An update is due soon, though. And WebIS Mail compliments Pocket Informant (if you use it) nicely.

Small Town Man
08-16-2003, 08:34 PM
nPop works fine on WM2003 devices. It can delete mail if you want and it is much faster than inbox.

for html mail I found this and it works well:

Locate the nPOP.ini file where you installed the program. Mine is located in \Program Files\nPOP. Find the line ViewFilesSuffix="txt" and change it to ViewFilesSuffix="htm" Now when you select the External viewer, Explorer is launched rather than Word and the HTML formatted message displays correctly.
You may notice that the message header does not display quite right. Explorer is attempting to display an htm file and does not understand the carriage return character. To correct this, change the line ViewFileHeader to "<B>From:</B> %f<BR><B>To:</B> %t<BR><B>Cc:</B> %c<BR><B>Subject:</B> %s<BR><B>Date:</B> %d<BR><BR>" I also made To:, From:, etc. bold to make the header easier to read.

If you reply to an HTML message, make sure you have the Auto quotation box unchecked. This will prevent nPOP from sending back the original message showing the HTML codes rather than formatting the message.

ombu
08-16-2003, 10:20 PM
Try nPop, I love it.

AL904a
08-17-2003, 02:14 PM
I have been using MailWasher Pro on my desktop and notebook computer. It is the perfect solution for me. I have about five POP3 email accounts. I use Outlook for email. I turn off automatic email checking in Outlook. Then I use Mailwasher Pro to look at my POP3 email accounts every ten minutes when I'm online. Mailwasher doesn't download those emails, it just shows you what is on the mail server. Mailwasher allows you to set each email for deletion, bouncing, blocking that address, etc. You then tell Mailwasher to delete the messages marked for deletion on the server. Once you have deleted the spam from your email server, you download what is left with Outlook. It allows you to build a list of spammers, etc. It also can check serveral spam-list sites for known spammers. It works great!

I would love to have the same program for my Pocket PC! I emailed Firetrust (the people that publish MailWasher Pro) and asked them about a version for Pocket PC. Their response was there is a version of Mailwasher for Pocket PC in production.

You can check them out at http://www.firetrust.com/index.php

absolutVenky
08-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. At this time the WebIS installer does not install on WM2003 and I've not been able to get access to the beta.

nPOP is functional for text e-mail but its HTML support is poor and requires launching an external viewer like IE. I also found that IE would frequently launch a previously cached message so you have to refresh.

The user interface also needs much work and some of the dialog box messages make no sense, no doubt due to poor Japanese-English translation.

Seems like there's no option but nPOP right now until WebIS 2.0 is released.

The Half-Ling
08-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Ya,

your not the only one waiting on Webis :)

Jake-

ctmagnus
08-18-2003, 12:12 AM
I tried nPop on my old iPaq and wasn't particularly fond of it, especially compared to @Mail. So I'm waiting for WebIS Mail 2.0 also. :)

ChristopherTD
08-18-2003, 09:58 AM
I used Inbox to manage my mail while I was away for 2 weeks.

The delete behaviour is not intuitive but when you understand it, you can make it work well enough.

When you retrieve mail on the PPC it leaves it on the server.

When you delete mail from the PPC the mail is still on the server, and held in the "Deleted Items" folder on the PPC.

If you "Remove Deleted Items" on the PPC then the next time you check for mail it will delete those items from the server also.

So as long as you remember to "Remove Deleted Items" and then check again for mail, all will be well.

This is the way it works for me with POP3 accounts in Inbox (I don't use ActiveSync mail account)

ctmagnus
08-18-2003, 06:55 PM
This is the way it works for me with POP3 accounts in Inbox (I don't use ActiveSync mail account)

Yeah, I figured that out yesterday. It's not particularly intuitive but it's doable.