View Full Version : iPAQ 3900 Series Windows Mobile 2003 Upgrade shipping

Ed Hansberry
08-15-2003, 08:00 PM
<a href="http://www.smb.compaq.com/sp_main.asp?hp_url=searchresults.asp?store_id=8&search_id=71&dept_id=1084&dsc=pocket+pc+upgrades&c=HPSMBCtr_ppcupgrade&n=D_I_DR_X_T_x_GenericNVP&t=ad&r=HP_SMBCtr_O">http://www.smb.compaq.com/sp_main.asp?hp_url=searchresults.asp?store_id=8&search_id=71&dept_id=1084&dsc=pocket+pc+upgrades&c=HPSMBCtr_ppcupgrade&n=D_I_DR_X_T_x_GenericNVP&t=ad&r=HP_SMBCtr_O</a><br /><br />I'm ordering mine today! :mrgreen: There is a separate upgrade for the 395x and 397x series, so get the right one. The price is $29.95 plus shipping. I'm in no rush so I picked the cheap $5.15 UPS Ground option. Oh man, they charge tax for Tennessee residents. :bad-words: $38.35 total for me. Less than 20 minutes after ordering I got a ship confirmation from HP, so unless they are starting to run low on CDs, ignore the Sept. 5, 2003 expected ship date.

`helios
08-15-2003, 08:22 PM
Too bad this is only for Yank customers. HP Canada has changed the date about 10 times :evil:

C'mon HP, I want to give you some money, what's the hold up? The expected release date from HP Canada is August 25th!!!! :(

brianchris
08-15-2003, 08:26 PM
Congratulations 3900 owners......your ship came in sooner than that of us 5400 owners :grumble: Come on HP......please update us (in more ways than one).

-Brian

txcas
08-15-2003, 08:45 PM
Funny thing that they are not available in Canada yet. My 3970 upgrade shipped from Ontario, CA yesterday.

Dave Beauvais
08-15-2003, 08:47 PM
I received the following e-mail yesterday, Thursday, August 14, 2003, regarding the upgrade CD for my h5455:

Dear David Beauvais,

We apologize for the inconvenience; however we will be unable to ship your order# [omitted] by 8/12/03 as originally communicated. I appreciate your patience and apologize again for the inconvenience this delay may cause you.

We understand your current selection is your first choice. It may be possible to change some of the items on your order or ship some items separately. The following options are available to you: Maintain your order with no change. Ship the available items separately. Change your selection. Cancel your order.Unless we hear from you by 9/11/03, federal regulations require that your order be cancelled if we remain unable to ship it.

If you prefer that your order remain open or would like to make changes, please contact us via email or at 800-888-0292 prior to 9/11/03.

Thank you for choosing Hewlett-Packard, for your technology needs.

Sincerely,
Aaron Arenas
Outbound Customer Care
Hewlett Packard Company

Your Account ID is [omitted].

Check this order’s status at:
www.smb.compaq.com

Select Order Status
This is the second such message I've received. The first came Monday, July 28, 2003, after the first delay. I think it's a nice touch that they send me a message two days after the supposed ship date to let me know that they won't be able to ship "on time." I especially like the part about my current selection being my "first choice," but that some of the items could be changed or shipped separately. Nice form letter, HP. Now I have to call to tell them that I still actually want to receive the update CD or they'll cancel my order?! :evil:

Thought I'd pass that along.

--Dave

egoz
08-15-2003, 09:39 PM
Yeah, so i ordered mine as soon as the 3900's upgrade was website-announced. But, checking my order status, it shows it shipped, but no UPS Tracking ID; So, i'm left a bit in the dark as to when it shipped.

Anyway... When i do get the upgrade i plan on doing a complete hard reset of my 3900 and *then* upgrade. No more light-grey screen of death for me, like when i upgraded to 1.11 and killed the beast in the process, somehow, needing to send it in.

Hopefully this upgrade goes a wee-bit better.

.rob adams

scargill
08-15-2003, 09:58 PM
Too bad this is only for Yank customers. HP Canada has changed the date about 10 times :evil:

C'mon HP, I want to give you some money, what's the hold up? The expected release date from HP Canada is August 25th!!!! :(

You should feel yourself lucky!
In the UK we can't order until September (doesn't say when) for shipping in October.
And in US$ it is going to work out about $70
urm.....so yes Im not too happy!

ricksfiona
08-15-2003, 10:14 PM
This is great. The 38xx upgrade will ship in 2 - 3 weeks, but this is still sooner than the original October ship date. HP - doing a good job. :D

Kash76
08-16-2003, 02:31 AM
I ordered on the 7th, never got a ship confirm and all my status says is "Ship complete: Yes" Is it on it's way then??

Kash76
08-16-2003, 02:34 AM
It also says QTY Backorder:1 What the hell, I'm getting skipped over!!b

PoweriPaq
08-16-2003, 05:43 AM
I got mine, and installed it 2 days ago. I did a SPB Benchmark and it is quick. I used Mapopolis all the time, and to do a navigation from one address to the next is quicker than before. Let's say, to open the map, it took me not even a blink, while with 2002, I have to wait 2 seconds to find the direction.

Everything load so much faster, I guess it's more optimized for the XScale processor? I only have the PXA250. I even beat 5450 on the SPB Benchmark in a lot of the categories, but not all.

But I finally tested all of the programs, and they all worked fine, except my Linksys WPC11 Wifi card. I found a driver for it, so I'm going to test it now.

I like how the Picture viewer allow you to set that picture to your background. Windows Media 9 is nicer too, it allows me to play video which I wasn't able to before. Even the 500kbps video. They updated a lot of things, which I think is much more easier in some area than before.

But you do have to hard reset after the ROM upgrade and made mine to 3.00. Good luck, you have to re-install all of the programs, and to do the upgrade, it only took me less than 10 minutes. I guess it all depends on the computer?

Also, what impresses me was how the activesync transfer files, it feels like it's 4 times faster than before. To transfer a 4meg of files, it took 15 seconds.

vagabras
08-16-2003, 11:26 PM
This may have been covered already and if it has please forgive me. Does the 2003 upgrade included the programs that came with the Ipaq orginally like Ipaq Baackup, Ipaq Image viewer, terminal services client, etc. :?:

Thanks

gai-jin
08-17-2003, 04:28 AM
My 5455 upgrade shipped from seattle 8/15.

Hasn't gone very far yet, only to portland, but what do you expect from fedex ground?

Ordered mine from ppcupgrade.com as the "FREE" $15.99 upgrade under the technology garauntee.

Gai-jin

Pony99CA
08-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Does the 2003 upgrade included the programs that came with the Ipaq orginally like Ipaq Baackup, Ipaq Image viewer, terminal services client, etc. :?:
It should. That's one of the reasons that the manufacturer, not Microsoft, has to ship the upgrade.

Steve

dcharles18
08-22-2003, 01:14 PM
I just got off the phone with them and was told that the 3950 upgrades are yet again on back order, and they have no idea when they will be shipping, despite the fact that on there site it says "shipping now" in one place and "Expected ship date 9/12/03" in another.

:evil: :evil:

Kash76
08-22-2003, 01:27 PM
I just got a mail this morning that mine has shipped. I ordered 8/7. For the 3955.