View Full Version : Antivirus Software

AKBishop
08-14-2003, 05:29 PM
I'm looking for some antivirus software for a friend of mine. Any recommendations? I use a corporately licensed copy of eTrust on my machines at home so I haven't had any experience with any other antivirus software besides eTrust.

What do you all use?

And (most importantly)... what do you install on the novice's computer that automatically updates itself and you can pretty much just ignore.

Jeff Rutledge
08-14-2003, 05:34 PM
I use Symantec NAV at home and work. It's LiveUpdate feature is great. It updates its definitions automatically at a specified interval. I also find Symantec very responsive to new threats.

dean_shan
08-14-2003, 06:00 PM
I second using NAV. That is what I use at home. At work I use Norton Corp. Edition. Wish I could use that at home, it is much cleaner. But NAV is very good for home users.

Jacob
08-14-2003, 06:15 PM
I use Symantec too.

I don't think it auto-updates, but it's real easy to update. Just open it and run the their "LiveUpdate" wizard.

Steven Cedrone
08-14-2003, 06:23 PM
If your friend wants a very good free AV program, check out AVG Anti-Virus System by Grisoft... (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php)

Steve

Roosterman
08-17-2003, 01:50 AM
I'm looking for some antivirus software for a friend of mine. Any recommendations? I use a corporately licensed copy of eTrust on my machines at home so I haven't had any experience with any other antivirus software besides eTrust.

They have a consumer based model that I use. It is called ETrust EZ Antivirus. Have had it a year and no problems. Has automatic daily update feature that can be handy when you really want to be current. Cost is real reasonable to. Over internet 1st year was $19 and renewal was just $9.95. :D

I have Norton on my wife and son's but will transfer them to EZ when they need renewal.

qmrq
08-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Check out AVG or RAV.. both free.

Though if you're careful and get behind a firewall you don't really need it.

David Prahl
08-23-2003, 05:13 PM
Another vote for Norton Anti-Virus. You can pick up NAV 2003 at www.eastoutlet.com for $20. Self-updating is annoying on dial-up or an old machine, though.