View Full Version : Is ActiveSync really THAT slow? Xfering MP3s...

famousdavis
08-14-2003, 03:46 PM
I don't use my PocketPC that much to listen to MP3s, but I do so occasionally.

Today I downloaded 10 MP3s -- about 60 minutes of music encoded at 192kbps -- and it probably took about 30 minutes to transfer the files onto my storage card!!!

Is ActiveSync really THAT slow in transfering files to the PocketPC?

Do people just buy a SD card reader and use Explorer on the desktop to quickly move files on and off the storage card?

BTW, I'm running ActiveSync 3.6 (I can't get v3.7 to work with AvantGo for some reason, and v3.6 seems stable enough for what I use it for).

Steven Cedrone
08-14-2003, 05:15 PM
Yes, I gave up using ActiveSync to xfer files. A card reader is the way to go!!! :way to go:

Steve

Jeff Rutledge
08-14-2003, 05:27 PM
I am unfortunately suffering with the slowness. I have an SD reader, but I have had too many bad experiences with my SanDisk 128MB card to try my 256 card in the reader.

After I used the reader to xfer files, I'd often have a problem with my iPAQ wanting to reformat the card when inserted. I heard that this was an issue with Sandisk cards, but haven't really looked into it since.

Too bad...I'd probably change my music selection a lot more often if the card was reliable.

famousdavis
08-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Steven: Thanks for your reply. I didn't know if it was just me and my desktop-to-PocketPC config via Activesync, or if it is just a limitation of ActiveSync that was at issue. Your post indicts ActiveSync as the issue here. I'm assuming that ActiveSync 3.7, even if I *could* get it to work right, doesn't vastly improve matters that much.

JR: Uh-oh! I'm using a SanDisk 256MB SD card as my extra storage. I guess I'll just live with a slow connection since I don't download that many MP3s. When I do download, I'll just have to make sure I've got time enough and battery life enough to perform the operation without it being an issue (I got to work late today because I was awaiting the loooong download to finish).