View Full Version : LAN Access for Wireless Clients without an Access Point

Jason Dunn
08-13-2003, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www6.tomshardware.com/network/20030807/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www6.tomshardware.com/networ...0807/index.html</a><br /><br /></div>Looking to set up WiFi access on the cheap? Check out this very cool article!<br /><br />"Here's the problem. You're cheap...uh, make that frugal, have one or two wireless laptops that you want to get connected to your LAN, and don't want to buy an access point or wireless router to do it. Can it be done? Sure! If the computer is running Windows 2000, XP, or another operating system that allows you to bridge network connections, you can be up and running in no time. The only other thing you'll need is a wireless adapter of your choice that can be added to your Ethernet-connected computer."

dean_shan
08-13-2003, 08:11 PM
We do that at school when we want to play some LAN games and there is not enough ports to go around. You can do the same thing with Macs as well.

lipinski77
08-13-2003, 09:42 PM
I may have the need to try this in the near future and was wondering if you can see who is connected to your ADHOC network. Aside from setting static IP and WEP for security , I would like to be able to monitor for rouge users. 8O

iomatic
08-13-2003, 10:55 PM
Yup, Macs have done this for...4 years? All in all, pretty cool. I've heard of airline travellers doing adhoc networking on planes, etc.

We do that at school when we want to play some LAN games and there is not enough ports to go around. You can do the same thing with Macs as well.

dean_shan
08-14-2003, 01:04 AM
Yup, Macs have done this for...4 years? All in all, pretty cool. I've heard of airline travellers doing adhoc networking on planes, etc. You really shouldn't do adhoc on a plane, WiFi is a radio signal. The FCC does not want to have other radio signals going on the plane. That is why they tell you the use of GPS, cell phone, FM radios, and other similar items are never permitted durring flight.

Sorry for being your mom :D

IanG
08-14-2003, 01:06 AM
For a PPC-based how-to try http://www.pc-counselor.com/ad-hoc.htm

It's based on getting the e740 connected to an ad-hoc network, but should translate easily enough to other devices.

Ian G

Pony99CA
08-14-2003, 02:38 AM
You really shouldn't do adhoc on a plane, WiFi is a radio signal. The FCC does not want to have other radio signals going on the plane. That is why they tell you the use of GPS, cell phone, FM radios, and other similar items are never permitted durring flight.
I can understand banning active devices, like cell phones and WiFi cards, because they're transmitting signals inside the plane. However, FM radios and GPS seem a bit odd as they're both passive devices. GPS and FM signals are outside the plane anyway. I'd think if the plane isn't affected by them, accessing those signals on the plane would be OK, too.

I realize that any electronic device radiates, and having an antenna likely makes it worse, but how bad is the problem?

Steve

othell
08-14-2003, 03:36 AM
That's an interesting idea... I wonder if it could be expanded upon with Windows 2000 Server ( which lets you create a NAT )... Probably would. Which could give a significant amount of extra security to it.

After reading part of the article I went looking for what would be best to do this ( unfortunately 802.11g is still too expensive for me even though my laptop has it built in :( ), and came across these devices called Wireless Ethernet Bridges which I think could actually do the job as good, but probably better ( especially since it seems you could be connected at 100mb/sec ).

Something to remember though, is that if you use your desktop system like this, it would be best if your wireless adapter was connected via USB. This would enable the best placement of the device ( and we all know how important placement is )... It would primarily prevent any PCI solution from being placed behind that big hunk of metal you call a computer.

On a side note... In my previously mentioned quest, I came across a Linksys device called a Wireless-G Game Adapter ( http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=558 ). It sorta reminds me of a Wireless Ethernet Bridge ( the Linksys bridges can accomplish the same thing this game adapter does ), but just marketed differently ( package, price, description ). So I'm wondering if it would actually take the place of a Wireless Ethernet Bridge with a PC....

Just some ramblings of mine..... Hrmmmm......

------------------------------------

After reading the entire article... If anyone actually does try this and is successful or not, it may be a good idea to report the results of your endeavor... Putting emphasis on the actual hardware used.

Kiyoshi
08-14-2003, 05:26 AM
Haha if you wanna hear about integrated setups you have to listen to my home network setup. This is the first time I've ever been able to explain its complexity to anyone (it might not be that bad but nothing's perfectly reliable in the network)

First, broadband access comes in from a long-range wireless ethernet antenna on my roof (I don't know exactly how it works but the antenna has to have line-of-sight from the antenna that the internet access comes from).

Next, the cable from the antenna goes into a modem, which puts the internet into a Ethernet cable, which goes into a Netgear MR814, a 4 port switch with 802.11b also. From the switch, my parents computer gets the internet connected through Ethernet. Also, my PDA and my dad's laptop (when he's home) get internet through 802.11b.

My parents desktop computer bridges (through WinXP) the internet connection to my computer and my sister's computer though a PHONELINE NETWORK. It's insane and out of the way, but it works. Sometimes all the computers and devices communicate together, other times the internet will work but when I try and access files on the other computers, it doesn't work.

Eventually I want to get everything on 802.11b, but that'll take time and $$$.

ctmagnus
08-14-2003, 06:31 AM
Haha if you wanna hear about integrated setups you have to listen to my home network setup. This is the first time I've ever been able to explain its complexity to anyone (it might not be that bad but nothing's perfectly reliable in the network)

First, broadband access comes in from a long-range wireless ethernet antenna on my roof (I don't know exactly how it works but the antenna has to have line-of-sight from the antenna that the internet access comes from).

Nifty! I :ppclove: wireless anything.

Next, the cable from the antenna goes into a modem, which puts the internet into a Ethernet cable, which goes into a Netgear MR814, a 4 port switch with 802.11b also. From the switch, my parents computer gets the internet connected through Ethernet. Also, my PDA and my dad's laptop (when he's home) get internet through 802.11b.

My parents desktop computer bridges (through WinXP) the internet connection to my computer and my sister's computer though a PHONELINE NETWORK. It's insane and out of the way, but it works. Sometimes all the computers and devices communicate together, other times the internet will work but when I try and access files on the other computers, it doesn't work.

Sounds familiar ;) (except for the phoneline thing)

Eventually I want to get everything on 802.11b, but that'll take time and $$$.

Tell me about it.

secanbj
08-14-2003, 02:01 PM
This is also a cool way to do it
http://www.cqure.net/tools.jsp?id=9

Janak Parekh
08-14-2003, 09:02 PM
Since both Steve and Kati went off-topic on wireless power, I moved the posts here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16600). Tsk tsk. ;)

--janak