View Full Version : Digital Video Camera recommendations

Jeff Rutledge
08-13-2003, 01:03 AM
Having just purchased a Canon Powershot S50 (http://www.canon.ca/english/index-products.asp?lng=en&prodid=434&sgid=23&gid=2&ovr=1) digital camera (which I'm very happy with), it's time to turn my attention to a digital video camera. I know there's a lot of digital media enthusiasts here so I'm hoping for a recommendation

I don't require anything top-of-the-line by any means. This is for family home videos primarily (we're expecting our first child near Christmas). I'd like to spend around $1000 - $1200 (CDN) if possible.

I am looking at the Canon Elura 50 (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=11&WLBS=fsweb9&sku_id=0665000FS10028881&catid=&newdeptid=11#MoreInfo) right now. It has all of what I would consider "bonus features" in that it's small, lightweight, good zoom, and can use the same battery as my Digital Camera. What I don't know is: Is it a good Camera???

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff Rutledge
08-13-2003, 02:09 AM
A follow up question.

Is there a good Digital Video Camera site you'd recommend? Something similar to http://www.dcresource.com/ (which just has digital cameras).

Thanks.

maximus
08-13-2003, 02:12 AM
That is actually a good videocam, 3CCD system is definitely the strongest plus. Minuses: no time lapse recording, and no motion sensor.

Time lapse will be really useful if you plan to capture a still object over a long period of time. Motion sensor is essential if you plan to use the camera to auto wake-up if it captures motion.

If you are willing to add a little more cash, I would suggest the canon optura 300. It has f1.8 lens and an automatic exposure control to remove 'zebraing'.

Jeff Rutledge
08-13-2003, 02:37 AM
Thanks for the reply Maximus.

The Optura 300 is very nice. I couldn't find one in Canada yet, but I did see a Optura 200 for almost $1400C. So I think the 300 is going to be a little steep for me.

I am glad to hear some positive feedback on the Elura 50 though. If I do decide to go with it, at least I know it's not a lemon. :)

Thanks again.

Jason Dunn
08-13-2003, 05:50 AM
If you prefer a vertical-shooting device, the Elura is a great camera. If you prefer a horizontal shooting device, look at something in the ZR series (also by Canon). I tried a ZR50 and it was quite good. I really like Canon DV cams - I have a GL2, and it's awesome. 3CCD is wonderful, but very expensive - you'll be happy enough with a 1CCD camera I'm sure.

maximus
08-13-2003, 07:34 AM
A follow up question.

Is there a good Digital Video Camera site you'd recommend? Something similar to http://www.dcresource.com/ (which just has digital cameras).

Thanks.

www.dvspot.com, owned and run by dcresource.com.
but they dont have the review on elura 50 yet ...

Jeff Rutledge
08-13-2003, 02:55 PM
If you prefer a vertical-shooting device, the Elura is a great camera. If you prefer a horizontal shooting device, look at something in the ZR series (also by Canon). I tried a ZR50 and it was quite good. I really like Canon DV cams - I have a GL2, and it's awesome. 3CCD is wonderful, but very expensive - you'll be happy enough with a 1CCD camera I'm sure.

I'm not sure which I prefer to be honest. I held an Elura on the weekend briefly and it felt fine (as did the horizontal cams I tried). Are there advantages to one over the other?

Jason Dunn
08-13-2003, 08:14 PM
I'm not sure which I prefer to be honest. I held an Elura on the weekend briefly and it felt fine (as did the horizontal cams I tried). Are there advantages to one over the other?

Not really, it's just a matter of personal preference. :mrgreen:

Jeff Rutledge
08-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Cool. I think I'll pull the trigger and pick one up. So far I've only found it at Future Shop (tried tigerdirect.ca and cendirect.ca...they don't have it). Before I make a trip, anywhere else I should try Jason (as you're also in Calgary)?

Thanks for the advice! :way to go:

Jason Dunn
08-13-2003, 08:56 PM
Cool. I think I'll pull the trigger and pick one up. So far I've only found it at Future Shop (tried tigerdirect.ca and cendirect.ca...they don't have it). Before I make a trip, anywhere else I should try Jason (as you're also in Calgary)?

Future Shop is a decent place to buy cameras, so go for it!