View Full Version : **UIQ Symbian** to PPC

AppleMac
08-12-2003, 08:20 PM
Well im thinking of moving from my P800 (using Symbian UIQ) to an XDA II, but the one thing holding me back is im not sure about the OS. I have not fully tested PPC OS.
What i liked about UIQ:
Lots of cheap and freeware software available
I could easily lock the screen, Manage tasks, view all my programs on a single desk and manage my files WITH ONE APPLICATION (i dont mind just being able to manage tasks and lock the screen with one app though)
Stable
Battery life was very good
Full phone functions
Easy-to-use internet browser

Are these things present in PPC OS? And if not, can you present other advantages of PPC over Symbian UIQ?
Any help much appreciated.

markpmc
09-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Wow...

Here I am thinking of ditching my PPC for a SE 810/900 or a Treo 600.

One question.. How often do you have to soft reset your "UIQ device" ? I reset my PPC atleast once/day.

The software market for PPC isn't bad, but I don't run freeware/shareware on my PPC. Of course if it's software you want then you probally need to look at the Palm OS.

markpmc

AppleMac
09-10-2003, 01:42 PM
I never use palm, and neither should you by using a Treo 600. What's the point of having 13,000 Apps if 1000 of them are Clock applications AND you can only run one at a time?
As for Soft resets, i have to Soft Reset it about once or twice every month and that's when i run a rather crashy program.
It depends on what you use your PPC for. If you use it for Basic PIM and some multimedia capabilities, then a UIQ device will work perfectly for you. If you're like me in that you're hungry for software, keep your PPC. UIQ doesn't have an Office editior out yet.

bjchantry
09-10-2003, 06:05 PM
I switched from Palm to the PPC Phone Edition in March with great reservations based on all the stories you hear about the PPC and soft resets etc. 8O I can tell you I have this unit loaded with software, I use it at least an hour a day doing a lot of PIM (Pocket Informant) things, databases (HandBase), Exel spreadsheets, Email and Internet surfing, and of course telephoning. I have voice dial programs, speed dial programs, stopwatches, Moon Cycles, WorldMate, DateMate and the list goes on. If I have to reset my device more than every 4th day I am surprised, usually because I tried something weird. :oops: Also, people make such a big deal of soft resets, it's not like you have to reinstall everything, how many people leave their desktop on and never reboot it but once a month? I even installed a great free little app called Shutdown which allows me to do a soft reset from the Start menu so I don't even need my stylus, it takes a grand total of 10 seconds to complete.

I can't compare it to the Symbian OS as I have never used it, but I can personally tell you I am one person that was very skeptical and very wrong. Hope this helps. :lol:

markpmc
09-11-2003, 10:44 PM
It's really between the upcoming Treo 600 or the updated T-Mobile MDA. I'd really like to see an updated Nokia 9210 soon (supporting GPRS).

Both look like they'll meet my needs/feature set. The MDA does win out right if you engage in "specmanship", but I bet they're about the same as far as usablility is concerned.

I'm just sick and tired of soft resetting my Zayo A600 at least once/day. Perhaps this is what I get for not buying an Ipaq.

markpmc