View Full Version : Hulk pressing buttons

pepemosca
08-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Hi, I have an iPAQ h5450.

Yesterday, I don't know how. But after sometime of MP3 playback, I realize that I had broken the "Volume -" button.
The button is like fully pressed all the time, and off course, it doesn't work.

I really don't know if It was my fault, I mean, I'm not Hulk pressing the buttons. :)

The thing is, does anyone have problems about braking buttons? What does HP did about? Did they fix your PDA without charge?

I have sent my iPAQ to HP support, here in Argentina. And the guy how takes my problem, told me that he didn’t know if HP will charge me, because maybe they will think that the problem will be "Bad using".

Any thoughts?

Jason Dunn
08-12-2003, 04:30 PM
HULK SMASH!

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/hulk.jpg

Haha. Sorry, that was just too much fun. ;-)

I haven't heard of this problem to be honest, but I don't use my 5000 series devices very much. Considering you're in Argentina, there's not a lot else you can do, but I'd fight the charges if there are any. Do you keep the device in a case that protects those buttons? Maybe something else hit it...

pepemosca
08-12-2003, 04:50 PM
:D

Yes, I know, it sounds funny. But is terrible: I don't have a second PDA (I have sold all of them to by my h5450: here is a very, very expensive device).

I'm living with a printed copy of my date book. :cry:

Nope, I don't have a hard case. The truth is not even the case that HP delivers with this model (that one with the transparent cover) protects this buttons at all.

So, I think that I'll have to transform into a green guy if HP says that I have to pay. 8)

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0286716/2288_sa42_11596_39_BAR_rgb.jpg

pepemosca
08-13-2003, 03:39 PM
I'm sad.

HP just call me and told me that the only solution to my iPAQ is to replace the System board because, HP support doesn't do circuit repair. So, the solution will cost as much as a new h5450.

They say that I have broken the switch button of the Volume -. And they aren't able to fix it.

So, HP tech support su*ks. Sorry if you are one of them. But that's the truth.

Chris Spera
08-13-2003, 03:56 PM
don't feel bad...

Honestly, while I use GoLandscape to change the functionality of the Volume button on the side of the device to Up-Down, I don't use it all that much. Its a convenience for me, but not a requirement.

Try using the D-Pad for this function. Its not ideal either, but better than nothing. This is just my personal opinion, but I'd hate for you to have to trash this device just to get this button fixed.

You should also try contacting Leonard at Pocket PC Techs. He may be able to fix it at a better price than HP, especially if you order their 128MB RAM upgrade as well.

Leonard can be reached at [email protected]. Please let Leonard know that I told you to contact him.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

pepemosca
08-13-2003, 04:41 PM
don't feel bad...

Honestly, while I use GoLandscape to change the functionality of the Volume button on the side of the device to Up-Down, I don't use it all that much. Its a convenience for me, but not a requirement.

Try using the D-Pad for this function. Its not ideal either, but better than nothing. This is just my personal opinion, but I'd hate for you to have to trash this device just to get this button fixed.

You should also try contacting Leonard at Pocket PC Techs. He may be able to fix it at a better price than HP, especially if you order their 128MB RAM upgrade as well.

Leonard can be reached at [email protected]. Please let Leonard know that I told you to contact him.

Good Luck!

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Thanks Chris for your input. But I live in Argentina (South America), sending my PDA to Leonard will cost me more than buying a new iPAQ :D

Still, HP call me and they told me that they have found a way to fix the button. They said that is not working as new, but at least works.

My PPC will be at DHL office late today. I'll tell you how bad is it.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

pepemosca
08-16-2003, 01:45 AM
OK, things were more badly I can image.

Now I not also have the "Volume -" not working, also I have the "Volume +" not working! They kill all my volume control buttons!! :(

Also, they make a BIG scratch on the back.
Also (yes, there is a one more "also") they left a red cable crossing over the BT light.

HP kill my iPAQ!

But, I'd call them, and they are "thinking" what they will do. I'm sure they in some way will fix all that.

I have so much bad luck :cry:

The Half-Ling
08-16-2003, 08:24 AM
Threaten to have a horrible noticed posted of their services on the front of one of the biggest PocketPC Sites...or worse yet...write an article telling them how they made you switch to palm (don't actually do it...ewwww Palm)...

Jake-

pepemosca
08-22-2003, 03:35 PM
I don't feel that bad. It looks like i'm not the only one who has problems with the "volume buttons".

I just read that the guy that writes http://www.ipaqabilities.com/ has problems with this buttons too:

I've several new toys to play with over the next little while. Unfortunately, I got bogged down on reviews after the car accident, and after the volume button broke on my H5450, I forgot to save those reviews that I had been working on to my desktop computer at work or home. So I had to start from scratch on the majority of the products that I have to review.

BTW, HP (after a looooot of discussions) will replace my iPAQ next Wednesday. :D

pepemosca
08-28-2003, 01:15 AM
I got it!

Today HP send my a brand new iPAQ h5450.

Was a hard fight, but i won!

starbot
08-28-2003, 02:00 AM
congrads! i assume there was no charge at all?
"...ewww palm" is right!

pepemosca
08-28-2003, 02:13 AM
congrads! i assume there was no charge at all?
"...ewww palm" is right!

Yup, there was no charge!

(just some aspirines :wink: )