View Full Version : Linksys WCF12 Power experiences????

billuk
08-12-2003, 01:58 PM
I was interested in some of the discussions on surfing the net or listening to MP3 music on the PocketPC but via a wireless CF card.

Having recently installed the Linksys wireless access point for my laptop, (which is hooked into an ethernet broadband connection) I'm now considering buying the Linksys WCF12 wireless network CF card inorder to listen to the MP3 files located on my PC and also to listen to some of the internet radio sites that are out there (ie www.crossrhythms.co.uk).

I know that just playing the MP3s on my 128Mb CF card drains the battery quickly. My question is, what is the impact on the battery life running a wireless CF card and listing to the streaming audio?

My PocketPC is a HP545.

Thanks,

Bill

bdeli
08-12-2003, 02:07 PM
I have the WCF12 and use it in my CF+ with my iPAQ 3850. The battery in the CF+ drains in around 45mins whilst using the WCF12 and I get another 2-2.5hrs with the iPAQ's battery with the WCF12 in use.

billuk
08-12-2003, 02:27 PM
Thanks for your reply. It sounds like I'd get a longer battery life from listening to my MP3 streamed wirelessly from my PC rather than listening to them direct from the CF card!

Thanks

Bill

SHoTTa35
08-12-2003, 02:32 PM
playing songs via wi-fi will kill your PDA faster. It uses more power than the CF/SD cards so streaming constant data will kill it faster.

BTS
08-12-2003, 11:01 PM
Yeah, the drain is much faster on the Wi-fi card than listening to them on a flash card. Now, if you're connected to a wall socket (ie. you're just sitting around and reading) then the streaming media makes a lot of sense.